Event Registration Anticipated to Open Saturday January 23 !!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mordrin, Jan 19, 2016.

1. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

<Moved to Saturday January 30>

Event list planned for finalization Wednesday.

This is a different day than in the past (Sundays)
    The time has not been announced yet (liable to be earlier in the day than it was on Sunday?)
    This is shorter notice than in past years
    I haven't got a mass email about it and I'm not sure if there will be one or not

Get ready and get the word out!
    (I'm covering here, the Facebook page, Dragonsfoot, and the Acaeum)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    PBurke likes this.
  2. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I covered the Troll Lord Games forums.

3. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

And the Goodman Games forums.

4. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Posted on FB as 12pm Eastern on Saturday January 23, 2016.

5. Lestyan

Lestyan Guest

Is there any information available as to the method for registering? I have looked at various pages of the website, including the event descriptions in the catalog, my individual account page, and the event registration page, and I haven't seen any way to register for individual events. I realize that registration is not open until Saturday, but I would have thought that the links to register would be visible, if inactive, at this point.

6. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

7. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Saddle up and get ready for a wild ride.

8. mordrin

9. cjhooker

cjhooker Level 0 Character

So, that Facebook post says that "pre-registration" is Saturday and that Diamond and Platinum badges will be contacted about "early access pre-registration".

So, now I'm confused. What is registration vs. pre-registration vs. early access pre-registration?

I just have a Silver badge.

10. mordrin

Pre-Registration = before the Con. Was Saturday 1/23, but has been moved to 1/30.
    early access pre-registration = 1-2 days before that

Silver badge means Pre-Reg on Saturday 1/30 (and it will probably stay open a few days beyond that for stragglers)
    A few people will get to register before you, but mostly you'll be registering with everyone else

PBurke likes this.
  11. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Level 0 Character

I don't do Facebook.
    I have a Gold badge. When is the earliest I can register for events?
    Thanks.

12. cjhooker

cjhooker Level 0 Character

13. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Level 0 Character

I received no such email. Thanks for the link, cjhooker.

14. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

No email here either. Dispointed in how things are being handled.

15. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

A single person with a diamond badge and multiple silver badges could wipe out several events so that diamond and platinum badges may not get their guaranteed seat(s). Same issue with gold and silver registration wiping out events with a single click.

16. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Has the GaryCon blog been changed to allow people to post? Or should it be listed as unreliable?

17. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

If you haven't been getting our email updates, let us know. It's very easy to sign up and we are trying to feed information that way as a primary source. The fact that some of you have said you aren't getting them prompted me to have Thomas check that out, and I'll have some specific guidance for you there tomorrow once we understand what the disconnect is.

We're drafting a post that will be up very soon that will lay out how we managed the SP/GP system this year. Hopefully that will answer some of the common questions up front, but I'll also create a thread once that is up for exactly this kind of discussion and feedback.

To address the specific concerns about a single person gaming the system wiping out events with premium access:

First of all we trust the Gary Con community to behave in the same spirit that makes this community great- one of the things I've always loved about our community is that no matter who you are, where you come from, or what you are dealing with in your life, our hobby gives everyone the chance to be a hero. Attending Gary Con each year does a lot to restore my faith in humanity. Who is really gonna try to be the guy to do that?

Secondly, we're ready for that guy. We've quickly grown into a large enough group to make managing everything a challenge until we put more sophisticated systems in place (and we've come a LONG way this year thanks to the staff's efforts), but we're not so large that we can't very quickly identify people trying to abuse the system. So don't do that. It won't work out well for the person that tries it, and everyone will think they are a jerk. More info on this specific point will also be included in the forthcoming post. Our intent is to make sure everyone gets a fair shot at signing up for what they want while also allowing the people who could pay more to get real value for what they paid. We've really loaded up on premium events this year, so there is a lot to choose from. And to be honest once you've gamed with Luke once, that's really all you need. Some of the best games I've played at Gary Con have been with the non-celebrity GMs that are very passionate about their event, so don't forget about them. Ever played Dangerous Journeys with Eric Smith?

The blog on the website is used strictly for communicating news- we don't intend on enabling comments there. The place for comments, questions, or discussion is here in this forum or on the official facebook page. We try to be active in the public group as well but don't rely on that for official communications. I've also directed to staff to spend more time here so we can be more responsive to you all.

If you haven't seen it, we made this post today about communications lately: http://garycon.com/silence-15-radius/

We're committed to listening to making Gary Con work for you. I love our community and I have a hard time writing off any of your suggestions or criticisms as unworthy of our consideration. Gary Con has a lot of unique characteristics in the world of gaming conventions that make it worth all of our best efforts, and you should not be satisfied with anything less than that from the staff. We're listening.

PBurke and mwisconsin like this.
  18. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I'll save you a click. Event registration has been pushed to 01.30.16.

19. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Nor did I...and I did check my spam folder. In fact, I haven't gotten one single email from Garycon in months.

20. Robert Stoffel

Robert Stoffel Level 0 Character

Here is what I anticipate. Not getting any events I want. Got a email notice that Garycon was able to get things rolling so came to look at Badges and information and the long awaited events list.

I am EXCITED about a few things I see but more than likely based on based on prestige badges being sold and first dibs plus everyone sitting at their pcs like Big Bang episode hitting enter enter enter at the magical start time...

To buy a Badge or not to buy a Badge...hmmm