Some Gary Con VIII stats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gizmomathboy, Jan 8, 2016.

1. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Yeah, that would be nice, too.
    However, as a member of the Unwashed Masses, I don't know when the VIG pre-period is. May not be enough time in between for a run.

2. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Diamond and Platinum badges (5 and 12 max possible) register Friday night and Saturday morning respectively. It is actually a good test run for the website. I am really excited by the great events we have this year. We have a return of many of the classic events with a small amount of new old school offerings and a host of 5e added via the AL.

I saw someone asking about GC size by year. From memory it went like this:
    I: 168
    II: 240
    III: 400ish
    IV: 550ish
    V: 500 ish
    VI: 600
    VII: 896

That includes staff, guests and vendors. This year we are on track for another 900 or so. Its hard to predict the walk-ins.

PBurke likes this.
  3. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Thank you.

4. mordrin

BTW, something changed here and only the first names of the GM came through

5. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Change in the html, the bane of web scrapers everywhere. Got it changed and running it now.

For what it's worth things match as near as I can tell between the official csv and the web (from what my scrapings derive from).

6. Reidzilla

Reidzilla Level 0 Character

Where is the official csv? I have given up trying to use the website interface to search the events. It is awful.

7. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

8. Reidzilla

Reidzilla Level 0 Character

9. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Did some more messing around with my web app. I've added some images of the floor plans of events based on my best guesses from the entry in the Venue of the event details.

This all can be horribly wrong so don't rely totally on my guesswork and whimsy. Also, my web app can't be considered official at all.

10. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I've seen your event plots and event lists, but am I missing a link somewhere?

11. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

J, if you go to http://gizmomathboy.com and log in with gary/gygax, you'll see the database. Expand DB and highlight "Event Rows." The database has a map now for each event.

12. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Thanks, Michael!

13. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I just did some checking and it looks like I have some old data for the prices. There is a link for the event page to go find the correct info (until I sort things out).

Also, if you don't want a shared login just PM me.

14. paul j. stormberg

paul j. stormberg Chevalier

Hey Gizmo,

How about an update on the stats now that the catalog is finalized?

What I have loved about past registrations is the ability to scan everything in a spreadsheet format to see how ticket sales are going, who sold their games out first, what games might not have any players, etc.

Thanks again for posting some fun stuff for us all to look at!

Futures Bright,

Paul

15. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Paul,

you can grab the official csv dump from: http://garycon.com/get_events.php

I'll be updating my stuff by the end of today.

16. paul j. stormberg

paul j. stormberg Chevalier

Awesome! Thanks!

17. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I think I'm ok now. Some spot checking shows prices and such the same (noticed at least 1 wrong one, I think and have reported it).

18. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I wonder if we'll get any official stats. I'd be curious to know the first 10 or 20 events to sell out, for example. Inquiring dorks want to know!

Jarlaxle likes this.
  19. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

We were just talking about that. Our new staff has a lot of data nerds (myself included) on it, and now we have a system that captures a lot more raw stuff. It's pretty far down the to-do list, but definitely something that I think is a great idea and a fun project for when we're done putting out fires.

20. mordrin

Hey Giz - is it possible to scrape the "max players" AND the "tickets remaining" so that people can locate still-open events better?
    Right now, there's really no way anyone can do that.