Some Gary Con VIII stats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gizmomathboy, Jan 8, 2016.

1. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I'll see what I can whip up.

The csv file is missing a field for tickets remaining (was hoping it would have it).

2. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

This stuff is sort of important. I'm either not tracking how bad the functionality is or its simply not made clear or accessible to users. Let me check with our web guys to see if we can put something in fast.

3. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I've updated my app with last night's data. Getting new data now. Will probably update on a daily basis until the official csv gets the needed fields in it.

4. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Got data from this morning's scrapings.

There looks to be 667 events with at least 1 ticket still available for pre-registration. There are over 100 VIP events still with seats available.

As always void where prohibited, not valid in Utah, Outer Moongolia, or fixed points in time. It is the thinking human's responsibility to verify the validity of random information and data they find on the internet.

PBurke likes this.
  5. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Also, a zip archive with csv and sqlite db

Attached Files:

6. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

Thanks, Joe! I went ahead and gambled my family's (and the planet's) future on the accuracy of your information. That shouldn't be a problem, right?

7. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

It does seem like some cleanup remains to be done on the number of seats left for many events. E.g., an event with min. 5/max. 7 players is listed as having 16 of 33 seats available. I might not be a fancy, big-city D&D player, but even I can smell when the math's gone off!

8. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Hey, I'm fine with that possibility.

9. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

yeah, all I did was look for either "out of stock" aka zero tickets, or "97 out of 100" and grab the first number. Caveat Emptor

10. brendar

This is the kind of data we want to get out there to allay people's fears that the premium badge holders get all the good seats. There are still a ton of seats available at some incredible events.

11. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Especially when you consider that there are about 141 VIP events (with about 1,083 total seats available).

My rough calculations have 103 VIP events with a total 570 seats left, but I could be wrong. Either way, like @brendar wrote. Lots of VIP stuff left for those that might want it.

12. athornton

athornton Footpad

Does this take into account the weirdnesses like "21/38 seats available" for what is really a 6-seat event, though?

Note for next year: constraint checking *inside* the transaction.

13. brendar

That should have been fixed with the update Sunday night (sans a handful of exceptions).

PBurke likes this.
  14. brendar

Teasing you guys with some data, but gizmo is correct:

47% of VIP event seats remain unsold.

64% of total event seats remain unsold.

I don't want to give too much detail here, but... VIP games that are sold out represent 270 filled seats, for each of which there were approximately 2 additional attempts that failed because the event sold out (this is of course an average). Those failures represent only ~9% of total submission attempts, meaning 91% of your transactions got you exactly what you wanted.

Disclaimer: not gonna answer any direct questions about this data until we finish fixing registration!

15. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

While I can't dispute your statistics, they are skewed a bit...

...it assumes that the things people wanted and didn't get were VIP events.

This is not a complaint - just don't want your head to get to big.... ;)

16. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Lies, damn lies, and statistics :)

17. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

It just occurred to me there is no reason to update my data until registration opens again.

Jarlaxle and mark like this.
  18. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

I think you might be incorrect, giz. I mean, they are changing ticket counts by adding people...or at least given some answers I've seen appears to be a possibility.

so anyone looking to use you CSV for planning will want to see updates to ticket counts.

Just sayin...

19. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

ok, I'll do a scrape and see if there are any changes.

20. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

While I may doubt @jim skach I will at least give his ideas a proper trial. It does look like some of the # of tickets available for some events has changed (some less, some more). So, here's my latest scrapings (caveat gamer)

Attached Files: