Advice for a Newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DabmeDave, Feb 9, 2016.

1. DabmeDave

DabmeDave Level 0 Character

I have a badge and I have hotel room. I'm taking a chance and attending by myself. I'll be there bright and early Thursday morning. I'm specifically looking forward to playing some D&D 5e. I have to admit I'm a little lost in all of the events. So any advice? Are there any showcase events that I really should check out?

2. PBurke

PBurke Level 0 Character

Are you signed up for any of the Season 4 Launch Adventure Specials?

3. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Try to absorb, then take a break, try to absorb, take a break, throw a few back at the bar. Repeat Friday and Saturday. Recover on Sunday.

I think there are a number of D&D 5e games. You can sort by game system in the catalog. Keep in mind that some of the games may be for characters of a specific level and in Adventure League (iirc) you have to advance you own character in their games in order to play in the higher level games. But others can chime in and explain it better.

Don't be afraid to take in a variety of games and join in some opening gaming games. If you see an empty seat at table ask if you can sit in the fun.

Everyone is friendly and helpful. 99%+ are.

PBurke likes this.
  4. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Bring your finest Hawaiian shirt and join in for a group photo at 6pm Saturday following the auction.

If you dont have one or forget, there will some for sale at the show.

Jarlaxle likes this.
  5. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

What's this recover on Sunday? That's the day to finish strong. Monday is for crash and recovery. :)

Poindexter and Handy Haversack like this.
  6. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

• Leave some time to get the lay of the land and chat with people
    • Get outside your usual groove and try new things. ~95% of the games are "rules taught"
    • I see open GP events from VIPs like Frank Mentzer, Tim Kask, Ernie Gygax, Skip Williams, Merle Rassmussen, Harold Johnson and more.
    • The Legends of Wargamming events are always unique (Battle for the Moathouse was my favorite. David Wesley's Braunsteins are also up there)
    • Artemis is a fun cooperative action/strategy computer game new this year (but I'm familiar from elsewhere)

Everyone's will vary somewhat, but my call on some of the major "iconic GaryCon experiences":

• Really any Legends of Wargaming Event, but I'm going to call a few out specifically, anyway
    • The Joust (a multi-day tourney, simple/quirky/unique strategy with neat decorative miniatures)
    • Creator Dave Megarry/Megarry/Meggarryyyyy's Dungeon! board game events
    • The Live Auction (lots of rare to 1 of a kind memorabilia)
    • The Circus Maximus Tourney
    • The GaryCon Open (1E AD&D Tourney)
    • Frank's "Tribute to Gary" Sunday morning Ticket to Ride game
    • Giant Le Mans - a memorable, genuine 'gaming endurance' test. 5-8 hours of racing (partnering is possible)

PBurke likes this.
  7. Scott71

Scott71 Level 0 Character

Hey Mordrin, 1st timer here as well. Just curious, when does the live auction usually happen? I didn't see anything about it. Thanks!

8. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Luke previously posted that it was slated to start at 4pm on Saturday this year. An hour earlier than last year.

This is why the Hawaiian shirt photo is at 6pm on Saturday this year. An hour earlier than last year.

9. Scott71

Scott71 Level 0 Character

Thanks stahlnee!

10. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Its all good!

11. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Keep in mind, this is a charity auction. There is a group of wealthy RPG collectors around the world and several of them make a point of hitting the Gary Con auction. The stuff available tends to be really cool and also tends to go for shockingly high prices due to the charity nature of the auction. I never feel so poor as I do watching the Gary Con auction. It's sort of like that device in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that forces the subject to comprehend the subject's smallness in contrast to the vastness of the universe.

12. Munzog

Munzog Level 0 Character

This will be my first Garycon as well. A Question for the veterans concerning food and drinks.
    Whats available at the con?
    Local places to eat?
    Can you load up at the piggly wiggly and walk around with a cooler of snacks?
    What kind of budget do you set for a 4 day con visit?
    I heard about tables side grub whats usually on that menu?

Thanks for any input.
    -Chuck

13. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I would think the venue would frown on folks lugging around a cooler. I do however keep a snack or two in my game bag.

I plan on taking advantage of the table side service during some of my events. Although I think I have enough breaks to be able to hit up the bar and such.

14. Munzog

Munzog Level 0 Character

Yes i would imagine it would get crowded at a table as well. I normally just carry a big bottle of water and some dried fruit at the local cons here. But i dont stay as long as i will be at garycon.
    I seen protein snack packs in the market though. Cheese, nuts, and a meat. Might give those a try. And of course some liquid nourishment at the bar always helps.

15. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

I expect to carry a mini-cooler...I will load it with water bottles and just keep it in the tote that I use for my gaming stuff.

Considering I expect to go through 2 cases of bottles water at Garycon, I can't afford NOT to bring my own.

16. Munzog

Munzog Level 0 Character

So am i to infer from your statement that the water is a tad pricey at the con?

That brings up another interesting question what gear do you bring to GaryCon? Backpack, totes, little red wagon of doom, rolling cooler?

17. Munzog

Munzog Level 0 Character

I'll have backpack with lots of pockets. Water, snacks, character sheets for the games im scheduled for. Tablet and charger for tablet and phone. Pencil and paper. Box o' dice. Chewing gum
    Small jar to keep my characters hopes and dreams as Dm's crush them into dust...i mean... candy.

dndgeek likes this.
  18. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

no idea...but i expect to drink lots of water when i run a game...and i am running four.

19. osarious

osarious Chevalier

The con provides a concierge service for GMs and provides water and snacks (not unlimited), but usually once every hour or two hours.

20. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I carry water bottles and refill whenever.
    Tap water is just fine and better regulated than bottled. </rant>