Operation: Players Handbook! Your help needed!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Handy Haversack, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

So, my friend Em, @BrooklynBookworm here on the GaryCon forum, is an amazing teacher (and D&D player). She works with "emotionally and behaviorally disturbed" kids in the NYC school system. And she gets fantastic things done. She has started a gaming club, and that has really done for these kids the things that we (gamers) always say gaming does: it has opened them to their own agency, to their own ability to solve problems and interact with the world and one another.

And she's playing 1st ed. AD&D! Because she's awesome!

So, see this link. It's for a Donors Choose campaign she had to get dice, a battle mat, and other supplies for the group. And it's completely funded! But it tells the story of what she's doing.

http://www.donorschoose.org/project...age-siteshare-2016-02-proposal-teacher_146480

What Donors Choose can't do is get her 1e AD&D Players Handbooks. The organization doesn't support used networks like eBay. So then we thought, how can we crowdsource a bunch of PHBs if the system that enables the crowdsourcing won't allow their donation?

Then I thought, hey, we just happen to be going somewhere where a lot of truly excellent, giving people *who believe in the power of gaming* are all going to be gaming. And probably 6-10 of them have spare PHBs they might want to donate to a cause as excellent as this.

So there's the pitch, GaryConers: Do you have an extra 1e AD&D PHB that you can bring to GaryCon and donate to Em's program so that her kids can all use on of their own?

This is worth a lot of XP, guys. Also, beers. We will buy you beers. But, seriously a lot of XP.

Thanks! See you in three weeks!

chainsaw likes this.
  2. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Don't have a spare, unfortunately.

What about the reprints?

3. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Great cause, man. Happy to bring a couple. :)

4. capitalbill

capitalbill Level 0 Character

I've got a spare that I can donate for the cause.

5. Handy Haversack

@Jarlaxle, man, I think one of the reprints would be fine! It's Gary's work still. If you have an extra one, that's fantastic.

@chainsaw and @capitalbill , thanks, guys! You rock hard!

6. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

I will bring a couple spares to donate...

7. Handy Haversack

8. osarious

osarious Chevalier

Lulu has copies for $5.24 each.

9. PellaGM

PellaGM Level 0 Character

I'll bring my spare PHB, and I can throw in a DMG if needed/wanted.

10. Handy Haversack

@PellaGM, thanks! I'll ask Em to post whether she needs a DMG, too.

11. Handy Haversack

Hey, all,

Just wanted to say thanks! For those of you who said you could supply at GaryCon, we will leave room in our bags for the books. Make sure to stick your address in the book somewhere so the kids can write you a letter! Thanks again.

HH

12. Michaelsandar

Michaelsandar Level 0 Character

Sounds like a great idea! I'll be sure to bring one.

13. Handy Haversack

14. Scott M.

Scott M. Footpad

I can bring a spare reprint. Sounds like a good cause! How do we get it to where it needs to be?

15. Handy Haversack

Thanks, Scott!

Well, you can definitely find me Thu. 12-4 at EG3-213 or Sun. 12-4 at EG3-205 since I'm running games then. Otherwise, just keep an eye out for the New Yorkers. I'll post here from the con if we think of a good collection point, too.

16. Michaelsandar

Michaelsandar Level 0 Character

I asked around but couldn't find you!

17. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

Same here.

18. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Bummer, Jim: I hadn't recalled that you were helping Handy out too. We got books to him at the Black Blade booth, as well as in our Sunday night post-con game, too.

Allan.

19. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I sent a couple your way, Handy.