Table side menu question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reidzilla, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Reidzilla

Reidzilla Level 0 Character

I was wondering if any gluten free options could be added to the table side menu? I imagine that there will be people interested in other allergen free, vegetarian, or vegan options as well. Unfortunately, the menu as it is has nothing on it I can eat.

Khasimir likes this.
  2. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

huh, I thought I saw a salad or two but re-reading I didn't find it.

The last 2 years they've had salads on the menu, although maybe not table side since that is sorta new. You could get stuff table side but not quite to this scale/degree.

3. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Maybe some of the onsite restaurants will offer to go orders?

Jarlaxle likes this.
  4. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

If it's too late for them to add anything to menu... I think the rooms have mini-fridges (at least based on my reading of this) and there are a few grocery stores in the area. Maybe worth hitting one of those and stocking up on what suits your needs. For example, I've been cutting back on junk food more generally and plan to stock mine with some fruits and salads.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  5. Munzog

Munzog Level 0 Character

It's only getting up to 36° you can keep stuff in your car and it should keep just fine. well the trunk at least. I plan on keeping a pack of water out there and just wander out to refill. in case your hotel isn't nearby.

chainsaw likes this.
  6. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Thats my plan, also...I figure on going through most of a 36-pack of water over the weekend.

7. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Good idea!

8. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Or save yourself some time and money and get a filtered water bottle. </soapbox attribute="bottled_water_is_wasteful_unregulated">

9. Munzog

Munzog Level 0 Character

Ehh ok I'll play.
    It saves neither time nor money. Cheapest filtering water bottle at walmart is $8.34. you can get a 32 pack of Aquafina water for $5.32 at piggly wiggly.
    Filling the water bottle at water fountain you are only get 1/2 full, 3/4 if you are lucky so you have to keep filling it up. where as I can just twist the top off another bottle and start drinking at least twice before i have to trek out to my car for more bottles. Wasteful is only if I don't use a proper recyclying system to establish a proper cycle for reuseable plastic. Wisconsin does have an excellent recycling plan in place and most cities follow along with it. As for unregulated the FDA classifies bottled water as a food and regulates bottled water* under 21 CFR § 165.110[a], 21 CFR §165.110, 21 CFR part 129, 21 CFR part 101, 21CFR part 110, 21 CFR Part 129, and 21 CFR § 165.110.

*http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/BuyStoreServeSafeFood/ucm077079.htm

10. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Good to see that the regulations are better than I thought. However, you aren't likely to throw away your filtered bottle after 32 uses. Less consumption overall.

Just suggesting an option. But you be you.

11. Munzog

Munzog Level 0 Character

guess it would depend on the contamination level of the water. I wonder if lake geneva posted their test results of tap water testing.
    but as long as its not Flint,Michigan bad it should last longer than 32 fill ups.

12. ScottEDouglas

ScottEDouglas Level 0 Character

Great question. I'll check about gluten free, vegan options tomorrow at the Pre-Convention meeting tomorrow.

I expect that while the menu presented is intended to be the normal fare, GG has four restaurants operating over the course of a day and that while those restaurants were open items from those respective menus could be ordered and delivered. I can't guarantee special prices like the set menu, but I'm sure we can do something for those guests; it's not unusual to see banquet guests at the Grand ask for that reasonable accommodation.

Reidzilla likes this.
  13. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

I called them earlier today and confirmed with them that this is the case. I normally do exactly what you described when I travel. Saves money and also my waistline.

14. DMPrata

DMPrata Level 0 Character

Here's a related question: The menu states, "All prices inclusive of service charge & sales tax." Should we be tipping on top of that, or is that what the "service charge" is for?

15. Reidzilla

Reidzilla Level 0 Character

Thanks but I'll just bring my own food to be safe.

16. ScottEDouglas

The service charge does include the tip; the server will be paid something for every meal delivered. If, however, a person wants to tip a server personally, I'm sure it would be appreciated, and burn that attendee's smiling face into the server's memory for continued excellent service.

Myself, I always like to give a bit of cash, because I want the server to remember me and cater to my needs.

LastFighter and brendar like this.
  17. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

This is always good advice to live by, in my opinion. Feedback from the staff at the Grand was that Gary Con goers were very courteous, good tippers, and were a pleasure to serve. They are looking forward to having us back next year! Thank you all for being such wonderful guests!

mwisconsin likes this.
  18. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I don't believe in tipping. I believe in overtipping. You will need to have to provide rather horrible service for me not to tip you.

The only staff that I that was lacking was the bar staff by the registration desk. I think that was mostly understaffing. They seemed to do pretty good at night but during the day they were swamped.

I just got spoiled with the bartenders at the Lodge. They were on the spot the whole time, but they also had been doing it for long enough that they knew the minimum staffing levels to keep us awash in Spotted Cow and other potables.

19. ScottEDouglas

I saw food servers run around like crazy to serve our tables. I ordered burgers and cheese fries on Saturday afternoon and had food in five minutes. My ravenous boys were very appreciative. When I asked them if I could duck into the dealer's room for a second they looked at me blankly and said, with emphasis: "We HAVE cheese fries..."

20. Navar

Navar Level 0 Character

Tableside service was excellent. I had lunch & dinner & several sodas Thursday, Friday & Saturday, at the gaming tables, & the service was fast & courteous. Food was better this year also.