Moebius Maximus: Running on the Strip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gizmomathboy, Nov 6, 2015.

1. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Moebius Maximus is a No Juggalo Zone.

We got standards.

We also know how magnets work 'cuz that's how this mutha's basically being kept together.

Scott308 likes this.
  2. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Having no standards is having standards.

I can't believe you are discriminating about something or someone.

Give the brotha a break.

After all we are brothas by different mutha's.

3. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Play testing is going well. We've integrated all the elements I think I want.

Now to start from scratch and see how it breaks.

Here's all the photos I have from play testing so far:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bburtgb0rxzsqmn/AADEED161ziHRSybV9KOkTvha?dl=0

Attached are my notes and rough rules I'm running with. Not very well organized at all, but I have some time to fix that.

Attached Files:

4. kiltedyaksman

kiltedyaksman Level 0 Character

I would love to try this game, or at least watch it being played.

5. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

For all my events I have reserved 1 seat for walk-ups. Although it does look like 2 seats are still available for pre-registration.

Spectators are always welcome at the Circus!

Jarlaxle likes this.
  6. kiltedyaksman

kiltedyaksman Level 0 Character

My registration has been buggered. I need to wait until one of the folks in charge gets it addressed.

7. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

It might be too late. I get that. But if you wanted to incorporate this particular bit of mad genius . . . well, let's just say that since some of my players are in the game, I don't want them to think the world's going soft on them!

http://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2016/02/d100-horses-with-chris-mcdowell.html

I think 50. Golden God Farmer might be particularly well suited.

8. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Nice. Not sure how much I'll incorporate but I'm making pregens to speed things up. This will add some nice flavor. :)

Handy Haversack likes this.
  9. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Well, did some more play testing today.

It went kind of awesome.

We had a 2D gravity well/singularity, 2 way wormhole, and a 1 block high obstruction appear on 1 turn. The next turn had a Clown (well 2 really) show up. He was throwing adrenaline at the horses.

Francisca rammed one of his teams into the back of another team.

Many teams went through the wormhole. Francisca's team wen through and came out going the wrong direction. We made up a turn mechanic on the spot. The team ended up having a corner strain of 4. He rolled a "swerve" result. Good thing there weren't any other teams about.

One team got hit by the Clowns. They were shooting adrenaline filled balloons. The team got a team speed boost of +10 (1d3/horse in the team) and an 11 point boost in endurance (4d6). Those are temporary. This specific attack will last 2 turns, IIRC. The downside. You lose the boosts along with speed boost + duration. In this case, 12 "real" endurance points.

Here are some pics from today's play test.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xhdh5gav5h80u04/AACyDUeivmICrZyknNEN0NzUa?dl=0

grodog and Handy Haversack like this.
  10. athornton

athornton Footpad

It sounds like what The Great Space Race wants to be. Which is pretty awesome.

grodog likes this.
  11. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Today in moebius maximus play testing, wormhole hokey pokey. The orange team and cart split between entrance and exit. Then a series of attacks cause them to brake/swerve out of it. Three or four rules just got made. :) 20160224_122115.jpg 20160224_124002.jpg

12. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Wait...I thought this was more Mad Max and less Ben-Hur...?

13. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Well, considering this is derived from Circus Maximus...

14. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Continued play testing today. No pictures because it was over in 2 turns. However, we packed in a lot. We were running with pregens. We had 4 racers: Hanson Brothers, Speedy, Carrier Group, Combat Guy.

The Hanson Brothers have a team with all 6's (I need to double check to make that "legal"), riding in Shiva, Destroyer of Horses (+5 to damage rolls). Each Hanson has a +1 Combat Modifier (CM). The Driver has a Driver Modifier (DM) of -1. Even though their top speed is 24 it gets knocked down to 15 (-8 because of the extra gladiators, the Shiva, and the DM).

Speedy has a DM of 2 and a team speed of 19, giving top speed of 21. This driver doesn't quite get the lethal nature of this race. Think F1 driver in a NASCAR race in Martinsville.

The Carrier Group has 2 gladiators along with the driver. They like javelins and have 12 between them. Relatively fast team to get in a lot of hits.

Combat Guy, fast team with focus on high CM.

The race went really quick because we had some wormholes placed such that Speedy was able to go through the one, cross the "finish" line, go through another one and was just short of the "finish" line for the second time.

So at the end of Turn 1 Speedy was just at the line after crossing it once, the Hansons had crossed once. Combat guy had come through the wormhole the wrong way, tried to make the turn but flipped. However, it was off the side of the track. Since the track was spinning there was a chance it would slice him (it didn't). He was gonna land on the track the next turn because it happened to turn such that he could land on it.

On Turn 2 the Carrier Group got to go first. They went through the wormhole that Speedy just went through but his car was sitting on the exit. So his team rammed into the back of Speedy's car. Carrier group was able to run over Speedy's car but flipped once it tried to go over the team. Then Speedy went next and won the race.

So, I'm adjusting the wormholes a bit so it's probably less likely that such a scenario can happen.

We'll see what Monday's play test brings.

Poindexter likes this.
  15. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Another idea (likely for next year, given the 111th hour): stripquakes. Earthquakes that function as frequency waves where the up-and-down movement of the quake actually moves above/below the sides of the track (where the track itself is the zero-crossing point; the quake effects move with the sine wave itself, and only cover the area of board within the sine wave's area). So, as your stripquake moves above the zero-crossing into positive/peak territory, it's on the upper side of the board and effects only that portion of the board, and when it descends below the zero-crossing point the effects are felt in the lower side of the board, in negative/trough territory. So, you could have the stripquake descend right in front of you and suffer no ill effects from it at all :D

Allan.

16. Handy Haversack

Stop taking your Evil Pills, Allan! You'll kill us all!

dndgeek likes this.
  17. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Handy, this entire game is rigged to kill us all. :)

There's a reason I'm only making it a 2 lap/egg race. Partly because of the newness of it and partly because half the teams will probably be going like a speed of 10 after the first lap :)

Hmmm, I need to come up with a riff on Woody Guthrie's line he had on his banjo/guitar, "This Machine Kills Fascists".

"This Strip Kills Everyone" maybe?

18. grodog

grodog Troubadour

My work here is done. Carry on!

:D :D :D

19. Handy Haversack

Maybe a sort of Otis Redding-y "Sittin' on the edge of the strip / bleeding ti-i-i-i-ime"?

20. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I've never been terribly interested in Circus, but this shit is way up on my want list next year! Have fun you crazy kids!

grodog likes this.