What was your first rp adventure module played?

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by katsin, Dec 14, 2015.

1. katsin

katsin Level 0 Character

Two questions really.
    1. What was the first rp adventure module you played?
    2. What was your favorite rp adventure module you ever played?

Scott71 and Old_Skool like this.
  2. katsin

katsin Level 0 Character

My first was Ruins of Undermountain, my favorite was The Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan (I'm sure I spelled that wrong).

Old_Skool likes this.
  3. welleran

welleran Footpad

First played -- the sample dungeon in Holmes Basic.

Favorite is subject to however I feel on a given day. Today I will say B2, Keep on the Borderlands.

Old_Skool likes this.
  4. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

First was The Keep on the Borderlands

Favorite is more difficult since I run way more than I play and I haven't played under a GM using published adventures in twenty years or more. Hm. The one that stuck with me most was Master of the Desert Nomads.

5. Tim the Enchanter

Tim the Enchanter Level 0 Character

Like Jedisoth, I DMed a lot more than I played, so it's a little tricky to answer - cool question, but hard to say.

First one I really played in I think was B1 - In Search of the unknown?

If DMing counts, both Keep on the Borderlands and X2 Castle Amber were both really fun modules for my group.

6. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

My first module as a player was R2 - To the Aid of Falx.
    My favorite module as a player was S2 - White Plume Mountain.

7. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

First with an actual group: X2 - Castle Amber, on paper, one of my least favorites of all time. (But I was so thrilled to have people to play with, that it was a fun experience, regardless.)
    Favorite: U1 Saltmarsh, I12 Egg of the Phoenix, N1 Cult of the Reptile God are all to good not to get credit

8. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

1. TSR D1 - Descent into the Depths of the Earth
    2. Judges Guild Temple of Ra Accursed by Set

9. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

First was Keep on the Borderlands. I got the Basic Set and ran it for my brother and a friend. Well, tried to run it, anyway. None of us really knew what we were doing and we didn't get all that far, IIRC.

I'm not really sure what my favorite would be, as we didn't really play that many modules. I know we had a few different ones, but can't recall any that I had actually played or run.

10. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Back in middle and high school, I made all of my own material. Never ran a published module. Since returning to the hobby around 30, I think the first actual module I ran was James Boney's White Dragon Run, an introductory level mini-sandbox. It had a detailed town, a small hexmap and two of what I'd call "starter" dungeons, as I expanded them both considerably, one into my megadungeon (at the time). Great little campaign starter.

As for my favorite module, I don't know. I have only played newer modules, but really enjoyed Jason Sholtis' Operation Unfathomable (from Knockspell #5), which Handy Haversack ran at GC7, and all of the Hyperborea modules that Jeff Talanian has run at different conventions over past few years (TAKEN from Dunwich, Ghost Ship of the Desert Dunes, Beneath the Comet and Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess). At NTRPG Con, I had a great time with Paul Jacquays' F'Chelrak's Tomb, run by austinjimm.

I've also run Matt Finch's Pod Caverns of the Sinister Shroom, Jeff's Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent and Guy Fullerton's Many Gates of the Gann, which are all great.

11. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

The same one I'm running for GaryCon VIII, the Lichway. An OLD White Dwarf mini adventure.

Favorites? Hidden Shrine of Tomocochan, White Plume, Saltmarsh series, Slaver series, the entire run of GHQ, Barrier Peaks. (we walked away with a new NPC, the karate android we named Stephen and was our 'monk'.)

12. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale Level 0 Character

Like many others I'm sure, I played whatever I could find solo. B2 from the Moldvay box is a prime example.

But the first module I ever played with someone else DMing was G1 - Steading of the Hill Giant Chief. I don't remember how I made it so far as a single character, but my *Molvay Basic* magic-user fell in the pit trap on the lower level and failed his save vs poisoned spikes. I distinctly remember tearing up when the DM wrote "deceased" - in pen - across the top of Merlin's character sheet before sending me home.

The best module I played I think was H4 - Throne of Bloodstone. We had an epic adventure in high school that lasted for what seems now like the better part of a year.

mark likes this.
  13. Scott71

Scott71 Level 0 Character

1) Yup - Keep on the Borderlands
    2) Crazy story but my first Gen Con got into the NASCRAG Tourney Fez game - 1982? I was 10 or 11. Memories of the experience are amazing although the guys I ended up with probably saw me as a liability. They did very well in the tourney and were patient enough to take me along for the ride. I wish I knew who they were, I owe them a huge debt!

mark, Old_Skool and katsin like this.
  14. Old_Skool

Old_Skool Level 0 Character

1. First was B2 - Keep On Borderlands. My Magic User lasted a couple of rounds and died in a cave of giant rats (Room #A2).

2. The same. First loves and all that jazz.

I mostly run games now, and when I do my favorites are:
    U1 - Secret of Saltmarsh
    Tegel Manor by Judges Guild
    The Maltese Clue by Judges Guild
    And any of the TSR monochromes.

Scott71 likes this.
  15. mark

mark Spellbinder

Played in the Giant series as part of the Gen Con open back in the early days but also played in Tegel Manor around the same time (1977?)

Scott71 likes this.
  16. 42 years, never played in a single module. Ever.

And I've never run a module all the way through, usually I get bored, disgusted, and annoyed with them before the halfway point.

Kubo likes this.
  17. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Thanks for sharing...

18. You're quite welcome.

The best adventure is the one the referee creates.

19. Eddie

Eddie Level 0 Character

The first module I played was The Lost City.

My favorite module was Feast of Goblyns.

20. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

First module was B1, S4 is my favorite, C1 is a close second, GDQ next, Feast of Goblyns next

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016