Interesing Work Around for GaryCon IX Registration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stahlnee, Apr 1, 2016.

1. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

2. Eddie

Eddie Level 0 Character

It sounds like a very nice gesture to your players.

I think if there are technical problems with the pre-registration system, there will be some issues no matter what format it's in. I would actually go in the opposite direction next year if it becomes apparent the same problems are happening. Instead of giving anyone first-pick or something like that, move everything to on-site registration.

3. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

That is what open gaming space is for.

4. Eddie

Eddie Level 0 Character

Open Gaming space is where attendees are welcome to sit down and start their own game. Those aren't events you need to register for. They're for trying games you buy in the exhibit hall with your friends, and spending a little more time with people you meet in another event while you're both still at the convention. And if you can't find a game to join, there may be something in the open gaming area you can join.

If people are accidentally buying more tickets than they need, like this year, then other people who wanted to play an event can't get a ticket. People on site may also assume incorrectly the event is full if it says no seats are available.

5. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

It is also for games where you have prearranged the seats and want to play instead of allowing the seats to be available for pre-registration.

6. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Doesn't work for those of us that don't have pre-defined space.

Not really interested in something like this.

stahlnee likes this.
  7. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Agree with your sentiment.

8. You've never run a wargames convention. I can tell.

Trying to do on-site event registration for over a thousand people would be a bloody logistical nightmare, and it would take most of the weekend.

9. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

I'm not old enough to remember: how DID event scheduling and registration work in the pre-Internet days?

10. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Horribly.

I started going to GenCon in the 90s. Was very frustrated with Registration and was ready to quit going...but then electronic registration hit, and, glitches or not, it was an AWESOME advancement.

11. osarious

osarious Chevalier

You mailed in your choices and found out when you got there what you got....

12. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Followed by when you could fax your choices in. Now that was an advancement!

13. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

In prehistoric days you showed up and it was a free for all.

14. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

I would almost rather have that than the registration disasters that have marked both GaryCons I have attended..........