What is Everyone Running at GaryCon IX this time around?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fmillard, Sep 25, 2016.

1. fmillard

fmillard Level 0 Character

I've submitted both of my Savage Worlds Gilligan's Island scenarios, "What Will the Morning Bring?" and "Gilligan's Volcano!" as well as running two rounds of Savage Worlds, Weird Wars - Korea (new to me this year) and I've submitted two games that my daughter wants to run (her first time DMing in public!) of the kid's RPG, "No Thank You, Evil!" for gamers 12 and under! Should be fun!

dndgeek likes this.
  2. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Various Beer and Pretzel Games early Thursday to kickoff the convention.

Debating on whether to run a non-TSR D&D module from 1980 Friday afternoon or Saturday afternoon.

3. jonsnod

jonsnod Level 0 Character

I'm running 4 Marvel Superheroes games (all using the TSR FASERIP rules).

Project: Prometheus
    October, 1960. Earth faces an extinction level event. Deep within a top secret government facility, a plan is formed; a desperate plan with incalculable risk. The only hope for mankind is Project: Prometheus!
    You'll take the role of a giant monster on a mission to save the Earth.

Avengers Olympiad
    Los Angeles, 1984: The newly formed West Coast Avengers are looking to prove themselves, and the upcoming Olympics could provide the perfect opportunity!

Shadows of Evil
    Silver Sable's Wild Pack is the world's premier mercenary force. However, they built their reputation hunting Nazi war criminals; so when Silver Sable receives word that a major Nazi figure has resurfaced, she drops everything to track him down. Join her on a mission to track down one of the world's most wanted men!

New York, '77
    In the concrete jungle of New York, only the baddest heroes last. With gangs on the verge of all out war and super villains running amok, can you keep the peace?
    You'll control classic 70s characters this Marvel Super Heroes scenario set in 1977 New York.

Steven Kreft and Scott308 like this.
  4. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

DGS PRESENTS: THEY AIN’T PAYING US ENOUGH FOR THIS • ALIENS – THIS TIME IT’S WAR
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 • Noon - 2PM
    Let's rock! Fight off xenomorphs and escape the Weyland-Yutani terraforming colony, Hadley's Hope, on the moon LV-426 (Acheron) as a Colonial Marine from one of the greatest action and science fiction movies of all time: Aliens! This sci-fi miniatures event includes the Reactor Room and Dropship scenarios from Leading Edge's classic rule set: Aliens - This Time It's War. The rules have been customized a bit to allow for some flexibility in weapon use and were adjusted slightly from last year for better game balance. Miniatures and models will be provided. No experience is necessary.

DGS PRESENTS: OH, YOU WANT SOME OF THIS? • ALIENS – THIS TIME IT’S WAR
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 • 2PM - 5PM
    They're coming out of the walls! Fight off xenomorphs and escape the Weyland-Yutani terraforming colony, Hadley's Hope, on the moon LV-426 (Acheron) as a Colonial Marine from one of the greatest action and sci-fi movies of all time: Aliens! This sci-fi miniatures event includes the Operations and Air Ducts scenario as well as the Sulaco (Alien Queen) scenario from Leading Edge's classic rule set: Aliens - This Time It's War. The rules have been customized a bit to allow for some flexibility in weapon use and were adjusted slightly from last year for better game balance. Miniatures and models will be provided. No experience is necessary.

DGS PRESENTS: BRAM STOKER’S DRACULA (125th/25th ANNIV) • BOARD GAME
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 • 8PM - 11PM
    Dracula's powers are matched against the faith of the vampire hunters as they duel for the souls of Lucy and Mina in one of the classic battles of literature and film. Brought to you by the same company that created the Aliens! miniatures wargame, the Bram Stoker’s Dracula board game lets you take the part of Harker, Seward, Holmwood, Quincey or Professor Van Helsing in their struggle against the majestic Count Dracula and his legions. I have expanded the small, original board into a 4 foot x 6 foot map of Europe with models and miniatures, which will be provided. No experience is necessary.

EATERS OF THE DEAD • DUNGEONS & DRAGONS OE

Friday, March 24, 2017 • 6PM - 11PM
    Can you save Hrothgar’s kingdom from they-who-should-not-be-named, who come with the mists to slay and eat their victim’s flesh? Play one or more Viking characters as well as the Arab poet, Ahmed ibn Fahdlan, from Michael Crichton’s novel Eaters of the Dead and John McTiernan’s classic film The 13th Warrior. This original, Dungeons & Dragons miniatures adventure includes three stages (The Watch, Fire Wyrm, Thunder Cliffs) and explores the different combat systems presented in the original D&D and Chainmail rules (Man-to-Man for Stage 1, Chainmail & Fantasy Supplement for Stage 2, D&D Alternative Combat System for Stage 3). Miniatures and models will be provided. No experience is necessary.

CONAN THE DESPOT • DUNGEONS DEEP
    Saturday, March 25, 2017 • 10AM - NOON
    A savage foreigner has usurped King Numedides, strangling him to death on his own throne. Though some Aquilonians welcomed the barbarian as a liberator, most see him as a red-handed assassin, including the Rebel Four, who are strategizing their own coup d’etat. This Dungeons Deep miniatures event recounts the events of the first Conan tale, “The Phoenix on the Sword”. Play as Volmana, the dwarfish Count of Karaban or Gromel, the stubborn, giant Bossonian commander of the Black Legion or Ascalante, the former Count of Thune or Thoth-Amon, the Stygian sorcerer-in-hiding, and coordinate your efforts to remove Conan of Cimmeria from the throne of Aquilonia. Miniatures and models will be provided. No experience is necessary.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN (35th ANNIV) • DUNGEONS DEEP
    Saturday, March 25, 2017 • NOON - 4PM
    In the land of Zamora, a wild-eyed barbarian seeks revenge on the Cult of Set for the murder of his parents and other fellow Cimmerian villagers. Can you overcome the perils of the Temple of Set and the Mountain of Power, to bring an end to Thulsa Doom’s reign? Play as Conan, Subotai and Valeria in rotating fashion through three stages (Temple of Set, Mountain of Power, Standing Stones) that recount the major events of John Milius’s classic 1982 movie, Conan the Barbarian, on the 35th anniversary of the film's release. No experience is necessary, but some of the miniatures for this event are a bit risqué, so participants must be 18 years of age or older to participate.

LIKE A BOSS MONSTER • BOSS MONSTER DUNGEON-BUILDING CARD GAME

Sunday, March 26, 2017 • NOON - 2PM
    Play a Boss Monster building a dungeon to combat meddling adventurers who come to steal your treasure! Original Boss Monster rules with additional bosses from Boss Monster 2: the Next Level will be taught/used for the first hour, along with the Crash Landing expansion to allow for extra players. We'll then add in the Tools of Hero Kind and Paper & Pixels expansions in the second hour. Join in on the 8-bit fun!

DRINKERS OF THE DEAD • DUNGEONS & DRAGONS OE

Sunday, March 26, 2017 • 2PM - 7PM
    Can you save Hrothgar’s kingdom from they-who-should-not-be-named, who come with the mists to slay and eat their victim’s flesh? Play one or more Viking characters as well as the Arab poet, Ahmed ibn Fahdlan, from Michael Crichton’s novel Eaters of the Dead and John McTiernan’s classic film The 13th Warrior. This original, Dungeons & Dragons miniatures adventure includes three stages (The Watch, Fire Wyrm, Thunder Cliffs) and explores the different combat systems presented in the original D&D and Chainmail rules (Man-to-Man for Stage 1, Chainmail with Fantasy Supplement for Stage 2, D&D Alternative Combat rules for Stage 3). Optional drinking rules are available to those that wish to test their Constitution. No experience is required.

EDITS: I removed the "300" event, added 2 Dungeons Deep events, a Boss Monster event and a 2nd event of Eaters without the drinking aspect. @jim skach take note.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    red wizard likes this.
  5. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

Dibs!

:D

mark likes this.
  6. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Stalker

mark likes this.
  7. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

It does look exciting. We'll see if fits in my schedule.

I would call dibs but I know my schedule is fubar a bit.

8. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I'd be happy to run it a side game Sunday night or something for those devoting their time to the con. If you know anybody like that Joe, let me know. :)

9. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

I can't help it...I've always had a soft spot for 13th Warrior....

10. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

DGS Presents: Ghostbusters – A Haunting Lodge
    It’s not often you get a call that takes you out of the city. That call came in yesterday, when the developer in charge of renovating the William Coulton Lodge requested your help in investigating disturbances reported by work crews. So, you loaded up Ecto-1 and headed upstate. You ain’t afraid of no ghosts!
    (I am running two sessions of this: one starring the classic movie crew, the other starring the new lady Ghostbusters.)

[Replaced the Hollow Earth Expeditions game in my schedule with 3 D&D Adventurer's League slots]

DGS Presents – Imperial Entanglements
    General Airen Cracken has been captured by the Empire. Your crack team of commandos has been assembled to conduct the rescue operation. You'll need to infiltrate the Star Destroyer Stormhammer, by using a stolen Imperial Shuttle. The catch? You haven't stolen the shuttle yet, but there's one ripe for the picking in Imperial garrison outside of Ramsees Hed.
    A Star Wars (d6 REUP) game. This is a revised and updated version of the adventure I ran at Gary Con V (2012).

Timewatch - Recruiting Call
    One of your tasks as a TimeWatch agent is to recruit new members, possibly seconds before they die from natural causes. That can't be difficult, right? What must you do to keep someone important alive -- even when your enemies are willing to rip apart history to stop you. TimeWatch is a game of time cops, time travel, intrigue and investigation. (Gumshoe system)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    red wizard, Scott M. and dndgeek like this.
  11. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Then you shall be in good company!

12. mark

mark Spellbinder

It's a small matter . . .

dndgeek likes this.
  13. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

I am running 4 games from my campaign world at GaryCon - these will be places that none of my tabletop, online or wargame players have been to before, and they will be current events that will affect my campaign ongoing.

-----------------------
    The Peril in the Forgotten Depths (2 session - 2 unique locations)

A peril grows in the forgotten depths, where men, littlelings and elves once suffered the lash of slave whips. Ye must brave the depths of the old slave pens, but Great Adventurers such as ye may save the day and defeat the Chaos who would enslave us all! This adventure is a GaryCon exclusive set in an ongoing campaign world "The Dark Ages." Mid-level AD&D - pregen PCs are provided.

Longer Description:
    Hearken to the call of Heroes! It is ye, oh great Adventurers, who may yet save the lands and King. For a peril grows in the forgotten depths, where men, littlelings and elves suffered the lashes of the slave whips. The coming of the Dark Ones heralds a Dark Age for all Kinsmen, but ye may yet save the day and foil the plans of the beings of Chaos who would enslave us all!

You have answered a summons by Duke Elthest to investigate a horrible rumour - that the ancient Dark Ones, beings of great Chaos, have returned to ancient abandoned ruins in an attempt to retake the Land they once held. The ancient slave pens and the twisted tunnels and dark caverns beneath may hold the truth and the source of the coming woes. Will you face the peril and deny the Dark Ones entry back into our world?

This adventure is for mid-level AD&D characters, using AD&D and Chgowiz's houserules. Pregens will be provided.
    -----------------------
    The Defense of Shallam

Defend the city of Shallam or conquer it! Come learn & play an old school miniatures wargame, Ral Partha’s “Chaos Wars”! Play as the Human/Elven forces or as the ruthless Orcs & Goblyns. We’ll be using figures and rules from the Kickstarters that have breathed life into "Rules by Ral", first published by Ral Partha in 1986/87. Based in an ongoing campaign that combines RPG and wargaming.

The tramp of Bestials and Men of Chaos marching to battle echoes throughout the Lands! The horns of war blow louder and it is time for stalwart Commanders to muster their troops and fight for the survival of Kin and Kinsmen! Write your legacy on the pages of History as you face off in battle either on the side of Law or Chaos!

An army of Bestials, led by the Orc Warchief Othzul-khawaj, are making a daring attack to take the City of Shallam, capital of the Duchy of Corridin. Duke Iame, the ruler of these lands, has summoned his finest commanders to stop the attack and save the city. Will the forces of Law win the day, or will the tide of Chaos sweep over the Duke's armies and split the Duchy into two?

"The Defense of Shallam" will pit Humans and Elves against Orcs, Goblyns and the forces of Chaos using the "Chaos Wars" rules. This old school miniatures wargame, first published by Ral Partha back in 1986/87, has seen a rebirth! Now come play the game at GaryCon, using figures and rules from the wildly successful Kickstarters that have breathed life into "Rules by Ral". See troops, heroes, fell creatures and war machines all come to life on the field of battle.
    ----------------
    The Awakening of Tuluk

The once-quiet ruins of Tuluk have come to life! Come learn & play an old school miniatures wargame, Ral Partha’s “Chaos Wars”! Play as the Human/Elven forces or as the ruthless Orcs & Goblyns. We’ll be using figures and rules from the Kickstarters that have breathed life into "Rules by Ral", first published by Ral Partha in 1986/87. Based in an ongoing campaign that combines RPG and wargaming.

The tramp of Bestials and Men of Chaos marching to battle echoes throughout the Lands! The horns of war blow louder and it is time for stalwart Commanders to muster their troops and fight for the survival of Kin and Kinsmen! Write your legacy on the pages of History as you face off in battle either on the side of Law or Chaos!

An ancient evil has awoken in the ancient ruins of Tuluk, once an outpost of Chaos a millennia ago. The horns of war blow loudly as Bestials pour forth from the ruins, led by the fell Orc Warchief Yatoub-riaz. The Southron Duchy keep of Peak Tower is threatened and Duke Felix has called for his commanders to blunt the attack and save this outpost of Law against the hordes of Chaos!

"The Awakening of Tuluk" will pit Humans and Elves against Orcs, Goblyns and the forces of Chaos using the "Chaos Wars" rules. This old school miniatures wargame, first published by Ral Partha back in 1986/87, has seen a rebirth! Now come play the game at GaryCon, using figures and rules from the wildly successful Kickstarters that have breathed life into "Rules by Ral". See troops, heroes, fell creatures and war machines all come to life on the field of battle.

mark likes this.
  14. Last year I participated in 7 events between running and playing, and that's too many. This year I'm running 2: "Battle on the Ice" for CHAINMAIL historicals, and "Even More Magic Users with Knives," OD&D.

mark likes this.
  15. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

The following events were approved yesterday. I'll run them using Jeff Talanian's Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (AS&SH) rules/setting (2E Kickstarter launching tomorrow!). We had fun in my Crystal Point events at Gary Con and NTRPG Con last year, so I'm looking forward to another fun time. :)

Crash at Corpse Creek (Thurs and Fri 2PM-6PM) - A strange object has fallen from the stars, crashing into the cold, haunted swamp of Corpse Creek. Several curious trappers from a nearby camp went to investigate, but none have returned. The remainder have hired your group to explore the site and find their friends, but they warn you that Corpse Creek teems with the living dead and that its giant bugs have awakened early from their winter freeze, including some strange varieties never seen before in Hyperborea. A site-based adventure for 4-6 player characters of levels 3-5.

Foolsgrave (Sat 8PM-1AM) - Khromarium's mysterious spiraling towers of black gneiss predate the city itself, an ever-present reminder of how weird and alien things once ruled Hyperborea. During the Festival of Plutonia, a sombre commemoration of death, darkness and the all-consuming void, one such tower's impenetrable doors slowly creaked open, admitting anyone brave enough to descend into its depths. Many have entered, but few have returned - some with wealth overflowing, others simply mad, drooling and babbling. Locals now refer to the labyrinth as Foolsgrave. A megadungeon crawl for 4-6 player characters of levels 3-5.

The Strange Tale of Crystal Point (Sat 10AM-2PM) - In the far reaches of Hyperborea's Crab Archipelago, lies a small, mountainous island known as Crystal Point. Passing sailors have recently seen a crimson glow in Crystal Point's waters, beams of reddish-brown light shining up from its steep cliffs and frequent lightning storms overhead. Ariston Thalassa, an Atlantean sage in Khromarium, Hyperborea's largest city, has heard these strange tales and approached your party with a promising explanation. He believes Crystal Point may hold the ruins of a lost Atlantean colony - and its secrets! Eager for adventure and treasure, you agreed to explore the island and, after a long journey, have finally set foot on its rocky beach. A site-based adventure for 4-6 player characters of levels 7-9.

16. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Cyberpunk 2020 and a single AD&D event so far submitted. More are coming. Of course, I'm already pencilled in as one of the GMs for the Tournament, so time is limited.

17. diaglo

diaglo Chevalier

said the halfling.

mark likes this.
  18. Scott M.

Scott M. Footpad

Water Water Everywhere (Sun 10am-4pm)
    Gamma World 1st-3rd Edition
    Everyone knows you don't drink from Rad Lake. It is fine for the six-legged dogs known as hexnarls or the itinerant mutant traders who are as much rabbit as man. But you are Pure Strain Humans. (Sure, Hank has that 3rd eye, and Becka can start fires with her mind, but for the most part...) Your village has always gotten its water from The Pipe. That is, until yesterday when the pipe suddenly ran dry. Explore ancient ruins in a post-apocalyptic landscape to discover what has happened to the source of your community's lifeblood or find an alternate source of untainted water before it's too late.

Baltron's Beacon (Thurs 6pm-11pm)
    AD&D 1st-2nd Edition
    Who knows what lurks in the vast marsh? Are the old ruins occupied? Beware! The eerie green light that guides your way may attract others as well. To succeed, you must penetrate the ancient keep and find the mysterious Black Flame once worshiped by a nefarious cult. This classic TSR module is part wilderness crawl and part old school dungeon delve. Levels 5-7. Characters provided.

Perils of the Co-Kan Run (Sat. 12pm-5pm)
    Deadlands: Hell On Earth(Savage Worlds)
    Go on an epic road trip in the supernatural, post-apocalyptic Wasted West. Play gunslingers, scavengers, mad scientists, psychics, shamans, and more. You must negotiate the many dangers along what remains of Highway 385 from South Dakota to Oklahoma. Equip your pregenerated character and customize your ultimate wasteland vehicle. Face a harsh environment, hostile survivors, and hideous mutant monstrosities. Will you deliver your charge safely at the end of the Co-Kan Run? "Seasoned" rank characters.

Times obviously pending final scheduling approval.

tacojohn4547 and dndgeek like this.
  19. scottmaruna

scottmaruna Level 0 Character

Sunday at 10:00 AM
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  20. Cloak n' Dagger

Cloak n' Dagger Level 0 Character

Buried
    (Thursday and Friday 10a - 2p / Saturday 2p - 6p)

You were a slave. For quite some time you’ve been held captive in this mine; every day spent digging deeper into the earth, but for what? You don’t know. You’ve had no knowledge of who your captors were or what it is they wanted, only that you were accosted, regaining consciousness and forced to dig like so many more.

Minutes ago the earth shook and sections of the mine collapsed, trapping you along with several others. As you contemplate the current situation, waiting for the end, something in the back of your mind whispers, '_No, this is just the beginning_'.

Buried is a low level, dungeon crawl for players of all experience levels using the White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game rules set. Characters will be provided.

Ancalagon, dndgeek and chainsaw like this.