Event Registration 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by datagoblin67, Dec 27, 2016.

1. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Has the location and table allotment for open gaming been disclosed yet?

2. Traxion

Traxion Footpad

And can we have more "Players Wanted/Game Full" signs in the open gaming area?

For the new people to GaryCon... Every table (in the scheduled areas) has a sign on a stand/post on the table for the GM to indicate if their game is still looking for more players. That makes it much easier for people to quickly scan a room and see if there is a place for them to walk in. Even a shy, introvert can have some confidence knowing that they are not likely to be rejected if they walk up to a table with a green "players Wanted" sign.

Poindexter, Scott308 and rickwins like this.
  3. sd8k

sd8k Level 0 Character

How about the Players Wanted/Game Full signs posted in PDF on the main web page for download?

Then folks can either print them out or just display them on a tablet. Also if its an editable PDF you can even add the name of the game to help entice the shy introvert.

I think that would add some flexibility to the whole open gaming concept.

4. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Still waiting on a response on where the open gaming areas are this year.

It would be cool for GaryCon folks to put up the signs numbering each open gaming table along with red/green cards to indicate whether the table is full or needing players.

I would place them if someone provides the necessary sign posts thingys and signs.

5. Skip

Skip Administrator Staff Member

We'll have open gaming space outside the main exhibit hall (near convention HQ) and also in the Maple Lawn pre function area. We'll have a couple extra tables upstairs outside the Galewood rooms as well.

We have no plans to number the open gaming tables or provide other signage.

<New details available. See my post farther down.>

If anyone cares to create and post "Players Wanted" signage, that's okay with us. I recommend something users can fold into a tent shape.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  6. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Just to confirm, there won't be Players Wanted/Game Full signs this year? I remember them in previous years, so I just want to double check, before I go creating/buying something; thanks.

7. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Just wanted to confirm that any table in the convention area without a number and sign is fair game for open gaming?

rickwins likes this.
  8. Skip

There will be signs, just not for the open gaming tables. <This has changed, see my post farther down.>

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    dndgeek likes this.
  9. Skip

The rule of thumb should be: Tables in the halls are fair game. It will be a great deal easier to find open gaming space this year.

Handy Haversack likes this.
  10. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

Have table, will travel...

11. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Jim's table of convertible gaming. It's like Ron Popeil never gave up.

Scott308 likes this.
  12. Skip

New information regarding Open Gaming space.

I've spoken to the rest of the staff and nailed down some details.

* Open gaming space will be the Maple Lawn Pre Function area (the hall between the Maple Lawn and Linwood), plus the upper floor hall between Evergreen and Galewood. There will not be open gaming near HQ.

* There will be table numbers and sign holders for all the convention's tables, including the open gaming tables.

13. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Super! Thanks for the additional clarity.

14. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Ah! Thank you.

15. crunchy

crunchy Level 0 Character

I am trying to sign up for a couple more events and I get the message "Registration is suspended." Is this a temporary thing or is registration closed? It is 12:40 a.m. CST on 2/22/2017.

16. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I guess it is closed.
    It wasn't very widely announced, but it was slipped in with the "Double Down" announcement. I totally missed seeing it.

http://garycon.com/gc-ix-double-deal-days/

17. Skip

Registration closed on the 19th. We had "double days" for the final three days.
    The closing is necessary because we need time to have everyone's registration packets printed an collated.
    Still lots of seats at events left. You can use the time honored method of looking around for "players wanted" signs, or you can continue accessing TTE on your mobile device (if you have one that works at the site) to see where spaces are left. Or try both.

PBurke and sir jon like this.
  18. crunchy

crunchy Level 0 Character

No worries, I had plenty of time to sign up for things. I mostly wanted to cancel an Tier 2 Adventurer's League game because I did not realize it required a pre-existing character.