Looking for tips on getting most out of my first Gary Con

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JasonM, Dec 27, 2018.

1. JasonM

JasonM Level 0 Character

@stahlnee Thanks! Great tip on the shipper. If I leave on Monday, that's definitely something I'd be interested in.

@The Blue Max I've actually been eyeing the Dawn Patrol events. I remember seeing the ads in Dragon Magazine back in the day but never played it.

2. Aaron Wilbers

Aaron Wilbers Level 0 Character

I'm another guy tossing around the idea of making a 1st trip to GaryCon and this thread is great. Will be solo if I do and looking to play old school games, aka Pre 2e D&D and OSR style games, along with some mini war games. Haven't been to a con in 15 years or so since going to the local Archon sci-fi con here in Saint Louis, and have always wanted to do a dedicated gaming con. GenCon is too big and expensive so GaryCon seems just around right. I'm guessing even silver badge folks shouldn't have any issues getting plenty of old school games in? And when it says you get one Featured event, does that mean you get on for free with your ticket if you can get it reserved? Or does it mean you are guaranteed to get a seat in one featured event? Not totally sure how the event ticketing is working yet.

Also due to being late and cost I'd probably be staying about 10-15 minutes from the con. Is getting around any kind of problem? I'd be driving up but since I'd like to enjoy a few drinks at the Con I'd probably be looking for alternate transport from the motel. I'm guessing Uber is running heavy up there during the Con days.

Thanks for a helpful thread!

3. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Except for a few events there is no charge for a ticket to an event. From looking at the current schedule only two events have a cost to get a ticket and several on making terrain will have a cost based on how much raw material you use. The two events are those being held at 330 Center St where D&D was birthed where you get the opportunity to game in the dining room of the former Gygax house.

Featured events are typically ones with Special Guest, special offerings etc. The number of featured events is such that there are enough featured event tickets to cover every badge allotment. Essentially you can get a seat. Any cost associated with that seat are still present.

Aaron Wilbers likes this.
  4. Aaron Wilbers

Thanks for the info!

5. Aaron Wilbers

What is the vendor situation like at GC? A big hall of people selling stuff?

6. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

See

https://tabletop.events/conventions/gary-con-xi/booths

To get an idea on numbers and location.

Spread out across 4 rooms. All are nearby the registration desk and around the corner on the other side.

One big room and three smaller areas.

Aaron Wilbers likes this.
  7. Aaron Wilbers

Thanks! Looks good.

8. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

ARGGGGHHHHH!!!!! No Malort for the new guy. Run away! Run away! That's my advice.

sir jon and Scott308 like this.
  9. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to Gary Con Jason! The advice given here is great. I'd encourage you to stay until Monday so you can enjoy Sunday and leave refreshed. We have a very convenient feature at Gary Con- table side food service. You can place an order with a server and get food delivered to you. The food is reasonably priced (especially for the venue). A meal is between $10-15. I don't believe there is a Frankenparty this year, but we will have a welcome on the upper level with Spotted Cow and pizza at about 8pm. And we will put on some classic movies in the Swinghurst room too.

Luke

10. Tim Neppel

Tim Neppel Level 0 Character

OH NO! No Frankenparty this year? Say it isn't so! My buddy and I went to last years party and thought it was a really nice way to kick off our GaryCon. I know we can't assume it will happen every year, but we were both arriving early Wednesday primarily for the party. Maybe we'll not be in as much a rush to get down then.

11. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Will miss the Frankenparty if there is not to be one. It was definitely a good run and one of my highlights.

Melf and Poindexter like this.
  12. JasonM

JasonM Level 0 Character

That's very helpful information, thanks so much!

13. Aaron Wilbers

Just bought my badge and very excited for my first GaryCon, and first con of any kind in probably 15 years. 4 days of old school gaming here I come!

SoulCatcher78 and dndgeek like this.
  14. Aaron Wilbers

Featured events...I get one with my silver badge. If they don't all fill up is it possible to play in more than one?

15. The Josrian

The Josrian Level 0 Character

The last couple years they have given out extra featured event tickets after the silver badges registered. No guarantee that will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised.

If there's several openings, it's also probably worth just walking up to the table on the day of.

Poindexter and Aaron Wilbers like this.
  16. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

They will probably dole out another Featured Event to all badge types in the near future and then, once registration is over, the cap is gone and you can walkup to any Featured Event that has open seats (and sometimes people don't show up to games, even Featured Events). I'm hoping they ditch the Featured Event tag for games with low ticket sales before the start of the con, though, because some of us non-dignitary GMs struggle to get people to our games when they are marked as Featured.

Aaron Wilbers and The Josrian like this.
  17. Aaron Wilbers

Thanks! Pretty much all the mini games I'd like to play are FE but there are a couple RPG events that are FE as well that I have to try to play in.

18. gmbarry

gmbarry Footpad

I very much enjoy Frankenparty and it would be sad not to have it... all said, we are about 1-2 weeks out from when the announcement is usually made.... keeping fingers ccrossed

19. Aaron Wilbers

What exactly is this Frankenparty?

20. gmbarry

gmbarry Footpad

Poindexter and Aaron Wilbers like this.