Thanks from the DGS!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by red wizard, Mar 27, 2012.

1. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

The Dead Games Society had an awesome time at Gary Con IV! Doubtless we are forgetting a few but special thanks go out to... Luke Gygax, Chris Hoffner, Dale Leonard, Ernie Gygax, Margaret Weis, Harold Johnson, Gene Drebenstedt, Frank Mentzer, James Ward, Tim Kask, Jayson Elliot, the whole Gygax family, all the great Gary Con volunteers who were so good about handling logistics and keeping our GMs hydrated during our games, the ACKS team, the Pathfinder Society, and most especially to all who ran and played games under the Dead Games Society banner!

THANKS ALL! :)

2. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I would also like to thank the guys who played during regular hours and those who sat up late Sunday night playing in my 5th Edition, Call of Cthulhu game. You guys were fun (but I don't think I'll be a passenger on any cruises with you lot). ;)

3. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Big thanks to all who played in my own events. To the guys who did Cyberpunk (you really captured the mood of the genre), to those in my Doctor Who game (because of you it felt like an actual episode), to the ones in my Middle Earth roleplay ("Dwarves don't float!"), those who did my two MARVEL HEROIC ROLEPLAY (this is a game I plan to play again, hopefully with equally great roleplayers at the table, big thanks also go to Margaret Weis for kindly dropping by after the second event), those in my DC Heroes game (next time the Joker invites you to a party, you should pick the location), and to those who played in my Amber Diceless Roleplay event (you all held your cards close to your chest. Now if we could just establish a marching order without fear of being stabbed in the back!).

You were all great!

4. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I'd like to thank Ernie Gygax for letting me hang out at his home and for teaching me two great new games, Liar's Dice and Seven Sisters (I'm just sorry I couldn't finish that one).

Thanks to Chriss Hoffner for letting me crash on his couch Sunday night (and for then buying me breakfast).

Thanks to Harold Johnson for sharing some incredible stories regarding his friendship with Gary. I really enjoyed hearing them.

Thanks to Geekpreacher (Derek) for his friendship, can't wait to see you again next year my brother.

Thanks to Jayson showing up and always being the friend he is.

Thanks to Margaret Weis for being my first interview on the upcoming DGS podcast (and to Frank and Tim for being understanding about my inability to interview them as planned, next year I will remember to bring my power cord for my recorder).

Thanks to Mark (CMG) for not only hanging out with me at the con, but for being part of my regular MERP campaign back in Chicago (I'll see you on the 15th over at Games Plus!)

Big thanks to Clint for playing in several of my games and then even going so far as to check my engine so I wouldn't have an accident on the way home!

Thanks to Hackhamster for a really cool late-night conversation about books and recommending some great stuff for me to read.

And thanks to Larry from the hotel, for showing me a way to get my voice back. It turns out that gargling with equal parts hydrogen peroxide and water works. ;)

5. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

All the DGS games I played and ran went really, really well. I've already started planning for next year!

6. mark

mark Spellbinder

You know it! Good times and see you on the 15th! :)

7. osarious

osarious Chevalier

I hope everyone who played in my 1st Edition AD&D "Tomb of Horrors" game had a great time. It had several priceless moments: such as when my daughter was the first to die and exclaimed "What? What kind of game is this?!?!", then ran off and played "Are you a Werewolf 'til the wee hours of the morning. The other was when the party decided to tie themselves together and step through the Green Devil face, I ruled that they had a 50/50 chance of just the first person being sucked in, or the whole party got sucked in. Guess what happened? :lol: They all got sucked in! I plan on running it again next year. Maybe they will get further than the third room next year!

Sorry, Mike and Chad, that you couldn't make it. But I hope things worked out for Michael with Dwarven Forge. And Chad seemed to have recovered slightly Sunday morning.

Thanks for the awesome rings Mike! I gave one to Luke Gygax. He thought it was great.

See you guys next year! Or maybe at GenCon.

Osarious

8. Ligmancer

Ligmancer Level 0 Character

What Osarious fails to mention is that we exhausted all options to finally escape the accursed place just to waltz back in for a swift TPK via Green Devil Face. Or how after 24 years since my last ToH experience, the only thing I remembered is "Don't go through the Green Devil Face" yet somehow... :oops:
    I can't decide whether to read up on the Tomb and punish my friends on Wednesday, or accept your challenge again next year! How can three rooms provide for so many hilarious stories? :lol:
    Had a great time and will proudly wield my Green Devil Face ring of Power!

9. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

That worked for you? He told me that one, too. I didn't really believe it, considering all the other home remedies that have been... well, home idiocy. I still haven't recovered my voice fully.

Buuuut... it was great getting to hang with you and the DGS guys. Great stuff you do for the con. I thank you for that!

10. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Huh. Larry told me that as well. I thought is was BS, but whudda ya know...

11. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

That Larry guy... really gets around. He's good folk.

12. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

My GF liked my rough rugged voice when I saw her Sunday afternoon however it has changed back to "kick sand in my face" blandness. :cry:

13. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I was complimented on my voice back at work this week. Then I was asked to sing some Barry White. ;)

14. go0gleplex

go0gleplex Level 0 Character

Had a good time playing in the first Marvel event...even got to play my all-time favorite hero. :) Had to pick up the rules when I saw them on sale at the registration table. Bummed I had to miss the second event, but was already registered for another game. Thanks for the game guys.

15. prolificvoid

prolificvoid Troubadour

The Sunday night one in the conference room was my first ever game of CoC, sir, so thank you very much for running it! Lots of fun, and while pretty tragic "in-game," it was pretty gratifying getting to be the lone survivor (barring any number of subsequent ways of demise - see below, haha).
    So your odds may be better than average taking a cruise with.....Father Patrick O'Flanagan! ("Aye, lad.")
    Though given the experience, I imagined the linguistics professor routinely switching between different accents, like the southern lady's, the boisterous American played by Stefano, his former companion and friend Raz, the stone-rigid English military man with the propensity for shooting people (often in the face, iirc), etc....

Or not, given that he was at 50 SAN (20 Cthulu Mythos, w00t!) before he saw the friggin' "hatchling" things shoot out into the stars... :shock:
    ...and the massive glow coming from below the water . . . . :eek:
    Not to mention the small fact that he's in a rowboat somewhere in or near the Arctic Circle. That in itself could prove...problematic.
    So . . . does he live? :lol:

Again, it was a really good time, and I know we all appreciated you running it. That pretty much rocked, and I personally would be all kinds of in favor of a "repeat performance" any time you should have the gumption. Thanks!

16. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Red Wizard,

It was good seeing you again this year as well. Always a pleasure spending time with you.

I was able, for the first time, to play in a DGS event. I've registered for them in the past but haven't made it to them for one reason or another. I tend to get distracted......*cough*.......

However, this year I played in my first Dead Game that I'd never played before and it was the Ghostbusters RPG. This was a frakkin' blast. Loved the game, the GM did a great job, and the rules flowed smoothly. I may be adding this one to my collection and playing that baby hard.

I watched the DGS guys doing some awesome work and have to give each and every one of you kudos. It was great talking with you and great seeing the turn out for your games. Keep up the good work.