First Con

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bigby1980, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Bigby1980

Bigby1980 Level 0 Character

Hello Folks!

Gary Con V, which I plan on attending, will be my very first Con ever. Due to my work and personal life, I've never had the pleasure of getting to a Con, but I really want to get to Gary Con V and have begun to set aside time for next March. With that being said, can anyone perhaps lead me through the ropes on registration, finding events, and what to expect? I know this must seem soon, but I really don't want to miss out. Thank so very much.

I can also be found under the name YoungNard at the Dragonsfoot forums.

2. mark

mark Spellbinder

Welcome! You will have a great time! :)

3. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

You will have to tune in here on occasion (and/or keep tabs on the facebook / twitter feeds I guess - although I've never used those).

The dates for the 2013 show should be firmed up and announced within a few weeks. Once that is settled then the date for registration (badge purchase) will be announced - I would guess at least several weeks after the date announcement.

4. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

There's not much to it.

Check in every week or so until the dates are announced. Then, late in the year, events start getting announced and registration begins after New Year's sometime.

You read the event listings posted online, pay for a badge online, register for events online.
    Events themselves are free after you have a badge. Points are allocated, limiting you to how many events you can preregister for. There's lots of events that aren't sold out or aren't pre-announced, if you miss registering. You can also run your own, easily.

You can also scroll back and read old threads for more details. The forum isn't very cluttered, so you won't have to go that far back to see details from last year.

5. Bigby1980

Awesome! Thank you everyone. It seems like it is very easy to do. I hope to meet many of you at Gary Con V. I'll be poking around here on the forums and checking it out. :)

6. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Hi Bigby (great handle)

I wouldn't worry too much about the registration process. The event is relatively small and is we strive to have a friendly vibe. The attendees have shown substantial comaraderie in the past years and I expect that to continue- so you will be welcomed. We will annonce the dates officially soon, the open registration (badge purchase) around AUG-SEP. People will submit events and we will consolidate them into an event guide. You get to select events around the end of the year or so.

The important thing will be ensuring that you reerve your room at the Lodge early. We sold out Friday and Saturday last year. Then buy a badge and wait for event registration. Get to Lake Geneva Wednesday, attend the free mixer and start gaming (and drink New Glarus beer).

See you there!

Luke

7. Bigby1980

Hey thank you!:) Those little bits of information helped me out greatly. Now I know around what time I should be checking more frequently. It really sounds like an amazing time. I like the part about it being a relaxed and friendly environment. I'm not the best with really huge crowds. I was looking at last year's event list and I don't think there was one thing that I'd shy away from.

8. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Bigby, you will not only have a great time at GaryCon, you'll likely never want to leave the area after. Since attending GC I, I have never regretted attending and have met some of the best folk, gamed with some extremely awesome people and even better, learned a whole hell of a lot for my own gaming experience. Fun times to be had -- I can't express that enough!

9. Bigby1980

Thanks Sir Jon. I am really looking forward to it. It'll take quite a bit of planning on my part hence why I am asking all the questions now. I have been watching youtube videos of previous Gary Cons and I am beyond excited. I plan to make a big trip out of it and drive down to Noble Knight Games after the Con is over. Because I don't know if this will be a one time thing or something that I can possibly make work yearly.....which would be my ultimate goal.

10. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Hi Bigby, As Garycon ends on Sunday & Noble Knight's hours are only until 600pm on Sunday I would suggest trying to arrive at Garycon a day, or two, early. That way you would be able to spend additional time at Noble Knight. The store is about a 40 minute drive from the hotel at Garycon. Lake Geneva Games is only a 10 minute ride from the convention & usually has something going on. You can use the additional time to get familiar with the other nearby towns & villages, unless you come equipted with GPS.
    Just some food for thought, & welcome to the forums!

11. Bigby1980

Oh! Thanks for that keeper. I was not aware. I'll take that into consideration because that is definitely something I'd like to do.

12. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Keeper is also known as the best man to ask for the most awesome breakfast in the area.

13. Bigby1980

Breakfast you say? Now I am starting to learn all the good details. :) Nothing beats breakfast, pretty much my favorite meal hands down.

14. Dale

Dale Administrator

My advice is to avoid advice from anyone from Connecticut. Srsly. Those guys are nothing but trouble. We are in high-level talks about banning anyone from that State from attending Gary Con. ;)

/Welcome aboard, and see you in 2013.

15. Bigby1980

uh......uh oh, looks like I may be banned before I even go....I'm one of those CT folk. :)

16. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Hey! We like east-coasters here in Garyland. (A.K.A. Wisconsin)
    Ever since Dale was named "Head of Security" it's gone straight to his...ah...HEAD! (HMMM? There's a joke in there somewhere.) Don't worry Bigby, we'll sneak you in the backdoor if we have to, just as long as you don't try to order FISH with your eggs. YUK!!
    And, here's a link for the store hours at Noble Kinght, so you can plan ahead.
    http://www.nobleknight.com/brickandmortar.asp

17. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Dale's still angry over that Facebook hack incident, of which I was not a participant. If I recall rightly. Shift blame to MELF.

18. Bigby1980

Thanks again. I think this will be an awesome trip. I've never been out that way before, I'm looking forward to it.

19. Dale

Dale Administrator

Okay, I guess since it will be your first time to attend GC you can be an exception.

However, that Sir Jon guy is sooooo on the ban list.

/I don't hold a grudge. He just owes me a beverage. :D

20. Bigby1980

I'll get beverages for you and Sir Jon, showing you how good us CT folk can be. :)