Car Wars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caalas, Jul 2, 2012.

1. caalas

caalas Level 0 Character

I've dust off my old Car Wars books, ordered a few new things from eBay and thrown my money at the Kickstarter for Ogre just to get the limited Car Wars T-shirt. I will be running at least one Car Wars event at GaryCon 5. Two questions:

1. Would you rather play with the old school paper cut outs for nostalgia sake or with a ramped up version using Matchbox cars? I've not done the conversion to Matchbox cars but I'm sure a couple of garage sales this year for used cars followed by a few months of crafting smoke and oil bases would be a fun.

2. Should I just have a ton of pre-gens or allow for customs up to a dollar figure? For those of you that ran miniature games at cons how did you deal with this?

2. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

I have never played, but want to play if it fits the schedule. Maybe have an option that is fast and simple for newbs.

Any idea if the updated version will be out by then? I know the Kickstarter has not even started yet, so maybe not.

3. caalas

caalas Level 0 Character

The Kickstarter won't start until 2013 so no, it'll be old school from the Car Wars Compendium.

4. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I would suggest pre-gens.

Car Wars usually goes slow enough as it is, without adding in a long creation period.

A great compromise option, though, would be - anyone who has/knows the rules and pre-registers can email you a build for advance pre-approval that they can use onsite.

5. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Very true. This would not be me, however. I'll be creating all the pregens for my own games next year, and would greatly appreciate having a car ready to play when I get there!

6. francisca

francisca Troubadour

You run this, I'm in.

I'd go with pre-gens and the matchbox cars with the turning/drift gauges.

7. caalas

caalas Level 0 Character

I'm running it once for sure. Depending on interest I may run it a few times.

I'll have a variety of pre-gens of anything you can see on the road normally; no hover-boats, military vehicles, etc. I'm really going to try and do 1:64 scale (Matchbox cars) if I can get it all done in time and looking decent. Obviously I have a large amount of time just need to gather cars, trikes, trucks, etc and craft turning keys and dropped items. Should make for a fun fall/winter project.

8. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Cool! I'll definitely keep my eye on this thread as we move closer to the convention. If you have time, maybe you can post some work-in-progress pics along the way.

9. Totan

Totan Spellbinder

Run one with cutouts, and one with matchbox

10. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I played in a really cool Car wars game at gen con with Chris last year. The guy had a wonderful terrain model with large cars. It added to my overall enjoyment. I would like to see it done with match box cars. I think this game would appeal to a wide audience of us old guys as well as some of the younger players.

11. caalas

caalas Level 0 Character

Melf, do you remember the name of the game or GM? I 'm trying to get a few details ironed out and chatting with someone that's ran it at a Con before would be very helpful.

On a plus side I've gotten a ton of looks getting on the train the last few days with piles of styrofoam in hand. We're installing 10 TVs on a new floor build out at work and work and the packing materials have a great post modern arena look to them.

12. gamerdork

gamerdork Level 0 Character

I'm hoping to come to GaryConV in 2013, and a Car Wars event would certainly "twist my arm," so to speak! My BFF and I used to run old-ish school (Compendium II) at GenCon years ago (early 90s, IIRC) - we used MicroMachine scale (125% of the scale SJG uses) which allows for a much bigger "map" on a double-sized table. But your idea of matchbox scale should work just as well!

As for Gen Con Car Wars recently, the other poster might have been referring to Rogue Judges' games, although IIRC they did not run Car Wars in 2012. http://www.roguejudges.org/ - it appears their website hasn't been recently updated. They used matchbox scale as well, and I believe their overall 3D city map was about 72" x 72", perhaps a bit bigger.

In any case, good luck - I know I'll be keeping any eye on this post.

Game on!
    - Corey

13. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I have some of the "5th edition" booklets, which have close to matchbox car sized cardstock counters. if you get jammed up and don't get the cars done, message me and I'll cut them out and bring them along for you to use.

gamerdork, RE: Rogue judges...they didn't have the big setup at Origins this year, either. Meant to stop by at GenCon and ask if they were ever going to bring it back, but I never made it over to that part of the hall.