Mutants and Masterminds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by red wizard, Oct 14, 2012.

1. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

So I have not yet tried Mutants and Masterminds but I know it gets great reviews. I have considered running it at Gary Con this year, but I would likely do either 1st or 2nd edition. From what I have read, both use the OGL format but very quite a bit in the application of the rules. Anyone out there care to give their opinion on which edition I should run?

2. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Almost everything I have heard suggests there is no reason to run first edition if you have second edition. I would definitely consider looking for electronic assistance with character creation, though. There's a lot to keep track of during character creation.

3. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I have read much the same thing. M&M uses more or less the same basic rules as 3rd Edition D&D, though it changes a few core concepts such as hit points and levels. They do away with hit points opting instead for saves. And levels are now static as they are used during character creation solely to determine a power level of the hero, such as when determining if the hero will be along the lines of Daredevil or the Silver Surfer. An interesting concept.

I'm in debate whether to run a Saturday session of M&M 2nd edition or just add a second TSR Marvel Superheroes event. I'm already running one of those Saturday morning.

4. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I've played a good bit of M&M and have enjoyed it. It's a great mechanic but I concur with Jedi that character generation can be a bit tough. Personally, if I was running a game for a Con I'd go with one of the pregen books that have been put out for the system. They're quite good and work well with a variety of scenarios.