GPs & SPs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bighara, Jan 23, 2013.

1. bighara

bighara Chevalier

I bought a "copper" badge because I won't be free to play much of the time (running two vendor tables), but there is one PM event I'd like to play. It's a "GP" event, though. Is there an "Exchange rate" or can GPs be purchased a la carte?

2. welleran

welleran Footpad

I have the same question for SP. With only 20 SP for the Early Bird badge this year, I can't sign up for as many games as I did last year, leaving me with dead time even with running two games and a third where I don't need to sign up in advance.

3. Donal

Donal Administrator

Unfortunately, there is no exchange rate for GPs and SPs. Since there is a limited number of seats at our VIP events, we have a correspondingly limited number of GPs.

The average number of events registered for last year was about 4 per player. We bumped the points up this year, so a typical early bird should be able to register for 5-6 events and silver badge packages for 6-7 events. There are plenty of discounted events costing 2-4 SPs, so players should be able to have a full schedule, if that's their goal.

A few events have the wrong cost (usually a bit high) and will be adjusted before Sunday.

4. bighara

bighara Chevalier

Oh well, I guess that leaves me out of the running for one of Frank's games I was hoping to play. It was a PM event, so I would have been free. :(

5. welleran

welleran Footpad

Hopefully that's the case -- right now, most events are either 5 SP or 2 GP.

In any case, it will still be fun!

6. Donal

Donal Administrator

We are doing a limited number of upgraded badges, which I forgot to mention, but you do have to pay the difference (less souvenirs). PM me if this is something you want to talk about.

7. Gravon

Gravon Level 0 Character

I don't see any gp events I'm interested in or the conflict with an sp event I really want. What do we do with the gp's if we don't use them.

Thanks

8. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

I just consider the 3 I will likely have left over as a donation to good cause...

9. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

The usual - gift a beggar or hire a wench

10. robertiv

robertiv Level 0 Character

Is there a way to pass on unused SP?

11. amigaman

amigaman Level 0 Character

Gold to silver conversion

Is it possible to convert GP to SP for event registration. I have 3 PG left and 0 SP and want to register for some events that cost SP.

12. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

13. WSmith

WSmith Level 0 Character

Re: Gold to silver conversion

I have to say I am NOT a fan of this method. I had flexibility with points that I do not have with the coins that will not convert.

14. WSmith

WSmith Level 0 Character

The problem with the GP/SP setup as designed is that the gold piece games sold out very quickly because of the number of seats. That's understandable. However, we had to juggle games around just to spend the GP, where with the points system, I could have used those to sign up for other events. I know the conversion is changed and designed to be about even. I like that the GP events make you choose wisely for the heavy hitters and people are not loading up. However, when you can't use them because everything fills up, and they won't convert to SP, it kind of defeats the purpose of having the GP. Nonetheless, it is only my two cents. :)

15. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Yeah, I know a few guys who didn't spend any of their GP b/c the one event they cared about filled up too quickly...

16. sniderman

sniderman Chevalier

The GP events are the crazy in-demand games, usually run by celebs. The SP games are "everything else." I can understand not allowing SP > GP conversions, but allowing GP > SP conversions would be a polite thing to offer. The GP-rated games are filled (or nearly), so allowing folks to trade those in (or "down") to SPs would help put folks at the tables of games that would not otherwise get players.

Of course, most tables allow walk-ups on the day of the game if seats are available, so it's not really an issue, I guess. I dunno where I stand on this

17. dramaman

dramaman Level 0 Character

Yeah, I'm one of those guys who couldn't find anything to spend my GP on, but was working like crazy to maximize my utility from SP. I bought the $40 package and that gave me 25 SP, but when many games cost 5 SP, that still doesn't go very far if you are wanting to get as much playing time in as possible. It would be really nice if 1 GP could convert to 5 SP.

18. robertiv

robertiv Level 0 Character

Yup, I'd just assumed unused GPs would convert into SP - wish this had been explicitly stated on the badges page. Maybe my reading comprehension was off that day.

With the Early Bird package at only 20SP, I ran out of points for Sunday so now trying to figure out what the plan is. Can someone remind me what the benefits of the Early Bird tier actually is? When signing up I gave myself a pat on the back for not waiting till the last minute, but in hindsight the others would've been a better option!

Any way to buy more points or trade with someone who's got extra?

19. Sylverlock

Sylverlock Level 0 Character

This system stinks. I have no need or want to use any gold coins, I only want to play in silver events. So it's the bronze package for me. That allows me to play in 3 events of my choice with 3 silver left over for which I don't see anything i'm interested in (I'd like to fit in 2 more 4 SP events with no way of purchasing extra silver). Um.. guess I'm cutting my stay in Lake Geneva short. That means less $$ to the Gygax shrine fund, geniuses.

20. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

I have 7 SP left over that I can't use at all (I'm running a lot of games compared to previous years). You're welcome to them if there's a way to make that work. Is there?