Garycon information

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by General Lopez, Feb 3, 2013.

1. General Lopez

General Lopez Level 0 Character

This would be my first year attending Garycon, and I have a couple questions. I know I will have plenty to do, but I'm concerned about the wife and kids. They love Gencon and Origins, but with the way Garycon is setup they would have to drive to go see anything. I have major concerns about them driving without me in an area they have never been in, especially if their is snow on the ground.

Has the weather been a issue at the past few Garycons?

The kids (12 &10) like RPG's but can only last about a hour before they want to move on to something else. Is their any other entertainment for kids at the lodge or nearby other than the pool?

How is the food situation? I have read some of the threads on it, but how was it in the past? Was their food to purchase available all day? Was their a variety, and how were the prices? Can you have Pizza delivered to the lodge?

Does anyone bring their non gamer wives, and if they do what do they typically do? My wife will play in some games, but probably not for 4 days straight, and will be looking for something else to do. I do know they have the spa.

Is it easy to get in open gaming?

Last questions are for me. What times does happy hour usually run, and is it located in the bar in the lodge?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

2. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Hey there General Lopez, let's see if I can be of any help.

#1. The Weather: During the past Garycons we have experienced anything from beautiful, sunny, warm (65 degree) days to 25 degrees & 4 inches of snow. Southern Wisconsins weather during that time of the year is VERY HARD to predict. On average, say around 40 degrees & mostly cloudy skies. As the saying goes here in Wisconsin, "If you don't like the current weather, give it a minute. It will change."

#2: The Area: The communities around Garycon are numerous; you have Lake Geneva, Delavan, Williams Bay & Elkhorn. All these "villages" are within a 10 minute drive of the Lodge & all have something to offer. Lake Geneva is known as a "tourist town" with numerous shoppes in the downtown area to help spend money at. Their is also a Wild West Museum & a live theatre (weekends only) in Elkhorn. There is rolling skating in Delavan. Yerkes Observatory in Williams Bay, etc; etc; etc. (There's always something going on around here.)
    I like to think of this area as a bunch of small towns that feel like a LARGE city, but our subburbs are made up of cornfields.

Food at the Lodge is alright, but once again, you have an overwelming abundance of available eateries all within a 10 minutes drive of Garycon, & last I heard you can have food delivered to the Lodge, but you must eat it in your room. (Not sure if this ruling has changed.) AND, you have to try the pizza at The Next Door Pub. I have been eating there for over 30 years and it's YUMMY!!

#3: Open Gaming: Plenty of gaming always going on. If there's not, come find my better half & I. We are always playing something.

Last, but not least: Yes, Happy hour is held in the Lodge's barroom. I'am not sure of the exact timimg of "Happy Hour", but I know there is one, EACH DAY!! (Mmm, Spotted Cow!) The other thing you may wish to do is to check on the internet for each of the towns, I named above, Chamber of Commerce. There may also be "calender of events" listed for some of the towns on their websites.
    If, after you arrive, you're still feeling uncomfortable, seek out Mama & I at Garycon. We would be more than happy to help guide you & yours on your first visit to Garycon & southeastern Wisconsin. (We will be at the Lodge, off & on, from Wednesday afternoon thru Sunday.)

Sincerely,
    Mr. & Mrs. "The Keeper" (But everybody just calls me, Deekin & her, Dale.)

P.S. Now I have a question for you, "Where are you arriving from?"

3. General Lopez

General Lopez Level 0 Character

Thanks for the information. I live right outside Chicago in Northwest Indiana. I just started expanding my companies business to Wisconsin, and made two trips there last month. I actually just went through Lake Geneva Wednesday night, but between the snow and it being dark, I did not get to see much. I did stop quickly at the lodge and looked around. It is very nice.

4. mark

mark Spellbinder

The library is right on the main drag East of the convention. Easy to find and a good way to spend a few hours for the kids, I am sure. :)

5. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Keeper is the Man! You have something you need, you ask him. Good peeps, he and the missus.

Just remember that there's a gigantic pool in the lodge, too. I'm sure I saw some of the Gygax clan splashing about in it last year. Which reminds me, need to bring the trunks this year. Scared a few people at GC IV.