Gary Con V March 14-17, 2013!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Melf, Aug 3, 2012.

1. francisca

francisca Troubadour

Room booked.

2. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Wise words. I never intend to get that way. Well, maybe I do sometimes. :)

Seconded. I know there's interest in accommodating as many people as want to come and all that, for all kinds of good reasons, ranging from spreading the love of gaming to increasing convention revenue, but there is something special about the current size and location. I think you lose a lot of spirit and personality when you get too large and you certainly lose a ton of cool factor by moving to Milwaukee from Lake Geneva. I'd rather see two small conventions, a fall and spring convention perhaps, in Lake Geneva than one giant, impersonal one in Milwaukee.

3. schoolmaster

schoolmaster Level 0 Character

Man! This is filling up fast! I better get a room or find a roomie before everything is booked up! I just mentioned the pre-reg on my blog. I have a mad urge to run an event this time around... no ideas though.

4. ThrashLibrarian

ThrashLibrarian Level 0 Character

Room booked! This will be my first Gary Con! I can't believe I still have to wait 6 months to get there though...

The guy I talked to at the lodge knew about the Sunday night discount. I didn't need to mention it.

5. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Good to hear that the Lodge got that straightened out. I called them twice to follow up in the past month.

6. osarious

osarious Chevalier

Room booked. Rooms are running out according to the lady I talked to to get my reservation.

7. Melf

Whoa! Rooms running low already. That seems a little early. I'll call and double check with the management. Sounds like its time to reserve your room now to be safe.

8. Kestrel

Kestrel Level 0 Character

I'm just wondering if this is what you guys are seeing, from my room confirmation:

Rate Currency: $
    Room Rate: 99.00 per night.
    Rate description:
    Plus tax when applicable
    First Night Rate With Tax: 109.79

Am I getting the group rate or not? It seems like I should be getting this for $10 less after tax.

9. ThrashLibrarian

ThrashLibrarian Level 0 Character

That is what my confirmation looks like, too.

I think there is some sort of $10 service fee that came up, right?

10. osarious

osarious Chevalier

I think there is some sort of "Resort Fee".

11. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Yes, there's a $10 resort fee. It was a little frustrating my first year but when I saw many who brought their families it helped me see the reason behind it. I know those of us gaming may not use some of the amenities but our families might. (Mine is coming this year, Lord willing, and I know they'll be using ALL of the amenities.)

The rate and travel hit me a little bit each year but I do my best to sock back some money for this Con because it's become so special to me. Many other Cons I go to I'm "on" because I'm doing one thing or another and/or involved with one group or another. This is the place I can go to hang out and be with friends. That's a rare thing and I enjoy it.

12. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

So true, & can't wait to see you again, G.P. Looking forward to, hopefully, meeting the family. Only 34 days away!!

13. Melf

We are glad that you make each year Derek. And I am glad that you are able to relax and just be one of the guys at GC. The atmosphere is perfect and I want to continue that comeraderie every year- even though we continue to grow in size.

14. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

God, I am so jacked. Haven't had internet in so long and now I'm playing catch-up all over. There are two of us, both with service dogs and money's tight. There are no more rooms available! I have the flight reserved on Southwest to Mike. No rental car reserved, was hoping to spare the expense. Might have to take the plunge. What is the closest hotel to the Lodge? This hobby is just too damned expensive anymore! :roll:

I've just contacted the Lodge to be notified of any cancellations or accommodations they might be able to make. Coming on a wing and a prayer again. Oh yeah, is there a shuttle from Mike to the Lodge?

15. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

Can I get no help here? Closest hotel? Shuttle?

16. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

It was mentioned somewhere the shuttle seems to be axed.

Here's some ideas for lodging:
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=984

17. dramaman

dramaman Level 0 Character

18. Donal

Donal Administrator

There is no shuttle this year. We try to offer it each year, but only get a couple of folk interested. We need at least 6 per shuttle to make it economical.

19. Damn. Is there any other way to get to the Con? I might not be able to do the rental car. I was hoping for the shuttle.

20. Donal

Donal Administrator

Let me adjust what I said earlier. This is no Gary Con sponsored shuttle. The hotel has a shuttle and they will do all kinds of stuff with it, but we don't have any input into what the cost might be.

I would strongly suggest if you want to use the hotel shuttle to call the hotel, speak with the front desk manager, and if enough attendees do so, they will probably make you a reasonable arrangement.