Luke, what pays the bills?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Druvas, Jun 18, 2009.

1. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

2. LumpyCheeseman

LumpyCheeseman Level 0 Character

I am a jack of all trades, master of none.

Currently I am running an editing gig, but went to school for electrician, grew up in construction, self taught mechanic (worked for two shops), lots of factory labor, grew up doing computers as well (dad was a tech, learned from him for a while then started teaching him stuff).

3. serleran

serleran Level 0 Character

At the day through night job, I get paid to be a computer grunt, fixing their problems which shouldn't even exist, especially since the majority of the customers are network admins at somewhat large companies, like IBM or Symantec... yet, they ask silly questions like "how do I use access control lists?"

Beyond that, when I get the time and effort to waste, I write stuff that gets published -- soon, I hope to be doing this for myself, as it has always been a dream.

And then, if I really had the sleepless night, like now, I am an ordained minister... so, I perform the rare wedding ceremony or give last rites.

4. MAJ Bill

MAJ Bill Level 0 Character

I am a Major in the Army Reserve. I have been on a voluntary, state-side MOB for the last 3 1/2 years. I work as the leader of a team that helps train Combat Aviation Brigades (CAB), that are deploying to Iraq or Afghanistan. I had about seven years enlisted before I, "Switched over to the dark side" and got my commission. I agree with Luke, and think I would make out better under a skill point system like Chaosium's BRP. The huge amount of HPs I would get under AD&D would be pretty cool though. :lol:

5. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Where are you MOBed at right now Major B? I am on the left coast in the CA ARNG.

6. MAJ Bill

Normally, I work out of the reserve center in Des Moines, IA with the 1/383 TSBN. Right now though, I am working as our BDEs S4 untill about Sep 30 in Ft. Sill, OK. At least that is what the OPORD said, and I really hope that they don't change their minds :( They being the BDE CDR). What do you do in the AGR?

7. Melf

I have never spent anytime in Iowa, so I am not very familiar wth it. But I grew up in WI which is similar I suspect. I used to be a PLT LDR Evaluator for the 1/338th TSBn up in Ft McCoy from 2000-2004 (as a part-timer). Currently I am the S3 for a Brigade Support Bn (AGR). I may get mob-ed as a filler to a SUS BDE at the end of march.

8. MAJ Bill

I went to Ft. McCoy, WI this Jan for phase one of ILE. Damn, was it cold! I like WI, and am looking foreward to attending Gary Con in March. I am trying to talk some of my old gamer buddies from when I was in the 82nd ABN (86-90) into coming. We get together once or twice a year for a reunion of sorts, and I thought GC would make a great venue. I used to be TC branch, but now I have been rolled up into the Logistics Branch like everybody else. What branch are you, and if you do get Mobed, where to?

9. Melf

Wisconsin in Jan is COLD. That's why I moved to CA :) I rememner OCing some postal unit from Southern CA up at McCoy in JAN 2003. They were not prepared for the piercing wind and blowing snow. It was funny to watch them. And of course we were training them up to go to the desert heat... :roll:

I think GC is a good place to gather with your old buddies and get some good gaming in- with limited distractions. I recommend reserving rooms at the Lodge (800-225-5558) and tell them you are with Gary Con. I think it is 88 bucks a night and the rooms are nice http://www.genevaridge.com/resort/homepage.cfm

I started off as an infantryman enlisted, wen to OCS in the WI ARNG and ended up as a TC officer. I completed my CLC3 last year and I am now a Logistics officer. If I get mobed it is to Iraq which is supposedly drawing down by 2011. So I wonder if it will end up as an OEF instead.

10. MAJ Bill

Your career path sounds a lot like mine. I started as ABN Infantry in the 82nd and did that for four years. Decided being a grunt was not what I wanted to do, got out, and went to school. I went the ROTC route. I branched Transportation because it looked like one of the few branches I could actually get a civillian job with, which proved correct. I didn't have to do anything to get into LOG Branch. One day I just got onto AKO and they had automatically transferred me over. I would imagine there is a high likelyhood of your MOB being switched to OEF. As a Bn S3, it sounds like your holding an O-4 slot?

11. Melf

Under the current MTO&E it is an O4 slot, but we go to a BSB structure in OCT. The O4s are the SPO and the XO- the 3 is just a CPT.

12. MAJ Bill

That's crappy. I know in the NG you have to have a slot to be promoted into. Is it the same way on the AGR side of the house?

13. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

That's why only REAL MEN stay here year round. The rest are a bunch of wussys. :p :lol:

14. nukeddude

nukeddude Level 0 Character

I miss WI weather. Humid 24/7 down here, constantly sweating, i swear someone is going to pay :twisted: :lol: no not really it's not so bad once u "get use to it" it rains alot and that helps I still want to be out of here though :)

15. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Sooooo, sweating pays the bills? Another words, whatcha do to earn a living? I know, I know, you crash BOATS into docks. :lol: :p still :lol:

16. thegrognard

thegrognard Level 0 Character

I have the job of all jobs; I work in a gamestore! Kinda fun having my hobby as a job.

17. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Some people are ever so lucky!! :D

18. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

Hi Luke!

Actually, I think going back to the AD&D 1e hireling rules that would put you at 6th Lvl Fighter (with a 4th Lvl LT sidekick) ; )

I'm a 1LT with the PA Army National Guard, currently deployed to Camp Liberty, Iraq with the 56th Stryker Brigade. Looking forward to going home in a few weeks.. and spending some of my deployment dough on a flight to Lake Geneva next spring : )

Andy

19. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

Huh, what are the odds.. I'm a Transportation officer as well. Was in the SPO Trans section of the 213th ASG which was the SB out of LSA Anaconda 2007-8. Started this deployment as a Trans PL for the distribution company of 328 BSB, ended up as an LST leader attached to 2-112 IN in Baghdad. Will be looking to do the Captain's Course and SPO Ops course this coming year and get those knocked out. Unfortunately my old medium truck company is full up on officers, so I'll be looking to transfer to another unit when I get back (I volunteered to go with the unit I'm with now just for this deployment).

Andy

20. MAJ Bill

Hey Andy, Have you always been Transportation, or were you branch detailed or prior service? I was at Anaconda for OIF 1. From what I hear, the place has grown considerably. When I was there, I didn't have anybody to game with. I did teach a 1LT friend of mine how to play Magic, that was at least something. Hopefully, your C3 won't conflict with you going to Gary Con.