A little help for the newbies please?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OGRE MAGE, Dec 17, 2013.

1. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

You bet, man.

I will still take the beers. We'll catch up at the bar at some point, I am sure. :D

2. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

Hahaha! Excellent!
    We look forward to it!
    (I wonder if I will get any more replies now with the posibility of there being beer involved?) :lol:

3. tacojohn4547

tacojohn4547 Level 0 Character

I'll still drink yer beers, too, Ogre Mage! :shock:

4. bighara

bighara Chevalier

FWIW, I'll be running one of my Mutant Future modules on Friday AM.

5. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

Of course you will.....sounds good! (maybe I should buy some stock in New Glarus?) ;)

Is it the one called The Gyre?
    It looks very interesting.

6. seskis281

seskis281 Level 0 Character

Just noticed this thread and Buttmonkey's shoutout (I am flattered Derek!) - I will indeed be in attendance this year and just had my schedule fixed:

I will personally be running 2 C&C games and 1 Amazing Adventures game - you can search them on events schedule now. I will also be GMing one of our 2nd year C&C society tournament tables - there are four that I will be doing along with Gerry "Sir Osis of Liver" Buldak and John "CKDad" Appel... you can search them as well, all are under Gerry's name but we'll be splitting them up - mine will likely be the Sat noon right after one of my own games.

I will also recommend getting into any of Jeff Talanian's Hyperborea games - he is excellent always. Both Frank Mentzer and Jim Ward are masters, but you have to camp out and jump right as registration opens to usually get a seat in one of those VIP seats. I always hear good things about tacojohns and Grodog's events. Brian Miller usually runs some off the grid C&C games and he is an outstanding GM. Chris Clark is a great GM as well.

Needless to say there are a lot of good options!

See you in Lake Geneva :)

John "Seskis" Wright

7. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

Sir Osis Of Liver? That might be the funniest thing I have read on here yet!

Thanks for the laugh and for all the great information. If by "off the grid", you mean open gaming....its nice to hear that there will be some quality games to get into in case we miss out on registration day. Very cool!

8. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Thank you for the kind words, everyone :D

Are you and your wife into miniatures games? If so, I recommend getting into some of the Chainmail events run by Paul Stormberg and other folks (Paul hasn't submitted his events yet). I'll be running my Aliens miniatures game, which is relatively quick (and often deadly), but there are usually a number of other minis games at the con, too. I saw that Kevin Cabai is running "The Battle of Sarn Athrad, Middle Earth, 503 First Age" on Friday and Saturday (and they both conflict with games I'm running or planning to register for, alas), and it looked interesting to me.

In addition, if you have some downtime, there are always a pile of board games that you can play too, using the board game library in the hotel restaurant. That's a fun way to try out a game you've not played before, too.

9. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

Not sure, never played one. But with the incredible reviews you've gotten on here, were DEFINITELY going to try and get in at least one. You might find it amusing that when I showed wifey the description she said "well, if he can teach children....we should be ok". :oops:

Cool! I noticed that there are very few board games offered as events and I thought that was odd. I guess this would explain why. Thanks much for the suggestions!

10. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

There are an insane number of board games available to play in the restaurant. Slap your grandma insane. It would take years of Gary Cons to play your way through all of them.

11. mark

mark Spellbinder

For the late-stayers, I have submitted a Civilization (1981, AH) game at 6 pm on Sunday. :)

12. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

BOARDGAMES?!? DID SOMEONE SAY "BOARDGAMES"?!?
    I normally run a 'few' during Garycon, BUT, as I have had a change of employers this last year I do not have enough vacation time built up to be able to commit to a full schedule for this year. With that being said, we (Mama & I), do plan to attend this year, but (tentatively) only on the weekend. I have not submitted any events, though plan to run as many boardgames as possible during Saturday & Sunday. Any attendees wishing to be involved in the madness that revolves around my gaming table can find us in the open gaming area.

Newbies are always welcome at our table, as we enjoy meeting people from all over, and as we are local to the area, can answer just about any questions out-of-towners may have.

SO, until March, GAME ON GANG!!

13. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

No Baron Von Deekin's Wings of War this year?

If so, I'm bummed about that. I had a great, great time playing last year and I was really looking forward to playing another 8AM session or two. :cry:

14. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I might drag them with for an appearance on Saturday, but Thursday & Friday don't seem to be in the cards. Everything right now is tentative, AND I MEAN TENTATIVE. Got a phone call from work today letting me know they're shutdown because of an electrical arch fire. (Would help if the roof didn't leak like a sieve.) Gotta call tomorrow to see if there will be any work, or if they're still shutdown.

15. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

For those arriving Wednesday, will we be able to get our badge and other stuff that night or will we have to wait until Thursday morning?

16. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

Last year, when we arrived Wednesday afternoon, there was a table adjacent to the front desk in which one can grab their badge, event catalog, swag and tickets for each of the events signed up for. I'm guessing the same will be this year but I can't speak to what their hours will be, but I seem to recall someone being there for quite awhile Wednesday.

17. Dale

Dale Administrator

We will have the badge pick-up as we did last year. This helps us tremendously by getting a bunch of badges picked up- instead a wall of humanity trying to get it all at 7am on Thursday.

Now, you cannot buy badges on Wednesday. On-site badge sales will begin on Thursday. These will be $45 for all four days.

I hope this helps.

18. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

Yes it does, thank you. I bought my badge, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be a huge line in the morning to be able to pick up my stuff. If might have been hard to get to 8 am games on time if that were the case.

19. Dale

Dale Administrator

Yes, that is another reason for the badge pick-up on Wednesday. Plus, the pre-Gary Con party at the bar area. It's a way for us to say thanks to those that show up early- and all the volunteers that helped us setup and get ready.