Is there an event waiting list?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Venger Satanis, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Venger Satanis

Venger Satanis Level 0 Character

Is there an event waiting list?

VS

2. osarious

osarious Chevalier

No. Just show up for a game you are interested in and see if there are any open seats. They will have a sign system (red/green) to indicate of there are any openings (Green), or full (Red).

3. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

You can also prowl the event catalog in advance to see if a slot opens up when a player drops an event.

4. kersus

kersus Footpad

Bribing GMs works too.

5. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

A large Spotted Cow will work fine for a fee.
    Always an open spot at our gaming table for you Kersus, although we won't be arriving until Friday.

6. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

Does this mean you'll be setting up a Wings of War game Saturday morning? ;)

7. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Here's the plan; Arrive early Friday morning, (after a big breakfast at Daddy Maxwell's), post an announcement for 'Von Deekin's Wings of War', at the registration desk, (starting at 10:00am on Saturday, in the open gaming area) and see who shows. Shhh! Don't tell anyone. It's a secret. ;)

8. makerofthings

makerofthings Chevalier

Please keep in mind that sometimes there are no openings. I had someone get very upset that there were no open slots for my sold out event.

makerofthings

9. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

We are experiencing the pains of becoming more popular as a convention. We almost doubled the number of pre-reg badges sold this year compared to last. And in the past we had plenty of space in most events that enabled fairly easy walk-in (although certain very popular games were difficult to get into- like Michael's). This year we may be hitting close to max capacity at the venue. So the question is how to proceed- look to move (in the Lk G area) to a larger facility to accomodate the demand but make the VIP/special events more difficult to get into OR cap attendance and deny people the opportunity to celebrate at Gary Con. Tough decision with ramifications on either course.

Unless of course everybody pre-registered this year and there will be far fewer walk-on attendees....

10. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Are there larger venues in the same vicinity? If so, any sense of price and amenities - on site restaurant, bar, shuttle to town, etc?

Maybe add a second venue and run a shuttle between them? Group similar type games at each to ease logistics hassle for likely participants?

11. mark

mark Spellbinder

When Little Wars, the HMGS Wargaming convention, was having trouble a few years back when the Racquetball court building at the Marriott Lincolnshire Resort was being renovated, the convention moved into their banquet halls. This was far too small for their typical 1K+ attendance. They solved this by adding a tent/pavilion with its own heating (it was in April) that had an enclosed tunnel right in to it. Rows and rows of tables were added and I think it handled more tables than exist in the entire downstairs are of Gary Con now. I'm sure there are many sizes and prices for such things but it seems to me a pavilion added off the back of the Lodge would be an easy fix. The trouble, and true no matter where we might go otherwise, will always be hotel rooms and parking. But any one place is never going to handle all Gary Con attendees accommodations on-site as we grow. Given the current location is so great in so many other ways, I'd hate to see us move. If a pavilion could put that off a handful of years, I'm all for it.

[​IMG]

12. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Maybe make the Lodge add on. Yeah. More for us!

13. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Regarding an avenue for future transportation between hotels and game areas, I have one word for you all...

[​IMG]

14. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

I'm fairly certain the Grand Geneva Resort, AKA The Playboy Club (the site of Gen Con X), would have the sufficient capacity to host a growing Gary Con. The drawback is they are priced significantly higher than Geneva Ridge and they don't seem to be much for cutting deals.

To me, it wouldn't be in the true spirit of Gary Con to move the convention beyond Lake Geneva. Again, that's just my opinion. I'm not the one calling the shots. :D

15. toddwo

toddwo Level 0 Character

[quote="markWhen Little Wars, the HMGS Wargaming convention, was having trouble a few years back when the Racquetball court building at the Marriott Lincolnshire Resort was being renovated, the convention moved into their banquet halls. This was far too small for their typical 1K+ attendance. They solved this by adding a tent/pavilion with its own heating (it was in April) that had an enclosed tunnel right in to it. Rows and rows of tables were added and I think it handled more tables than exist in the entire downstairs are of Gary Con now. [​IMG][/quote]

I also attended the Little Wars which featured the "event tent". In my 35 years of gaming, I have never, ever encountered such a foul concentration of gamer funk as I did in that unventilated fart-bag. By the end of the 2nd day, it was nearly unbearable.