Great Books- what are you reading now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Melf, Jul 7, 2009.

1. yesmar

yesmar Level 0 Character

It's in my OED. It's also in Dictionary.app on Mac OS X. It's not even listed as archaic, which is fantastic!

2. nukeddude

nukeddude Level 0 Character

Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker it has different views on the economy and other things it's very interesting

3. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

When did you learn to read?! :p :lol: :p :lol: :p :lol:

4. nukeddude

you taught me remember :cry:

5. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

.....AH, Yes! It was those 'I Surrender' papers for Axis & Allies.

6. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Medieval Player's Manual, Ars Magica 5e and just cracked open John Adams. The first two are very good, but no opinion on JA yet, though 1776 was fantastic.

7. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

2nd edition rules for Soldier, Emperor, & The Dawning of a New Age (Dragonlance) by Jean Rabe. Won the Dragonlance New Age set at last Spring's Hoopla. Autographed, don't ya know. :D

8. nukeddude

I don't remember this; i think ur mistaking me for Rich

9. kveldulf

kveldulf Chevalier

I'm on the tail end of my second deployment to Iraq and have used what spare time I've had to catch up on some classic fantasy stuff.

Between both deployments, I've read through all of the old 70's era collections of Clark Ashton Smith - Hyperboria, Poseidonis, Xiccarph and Zothique.

This deployment, thanks to the magic of Amazon I've been able to read all of Jack Vance's "Dying Earth" novels - The Dying Earth, The Eyes of the Overworld, Cugel's Saga and Rhialto the Marvellous.

Along with Robert E. Howard, I'd have to say these authors for me truly embody the spirit of the early D&D and AD&D games. Of course, I say that having started gaming as a kid in 1980 - but as I've gotten older and wiser I've dug deeper into the old stuff after becoming dissatisfied with the stuff out there now on the RPG market.

Andy

10. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

My new, leather-bound, 7 novel omnibus of H.G. Wells!

11. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Piers Anthony: Bio of a Space Tyrant: Refugee

This is a depressing book. Rape, murder, loss of hope... But at least it's in space!

12. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

I am reading the Northwest Smith collection by CL Moore courtesy of the Sci-Fi bookclub.

13. yesmar

yesmar Level 0 Character

Just finished M.A.R. Barker's Man of Gold for the second time around. Working on Flamesong now. I just can't get enough of Tékumel.

14. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I am on an old school kick since I found a box of books I thought lost for about 10+ years. So I am re-reading the Complete Compleat Enchanter by Fletcher Pratt and L. Sprague DeCamp. Really great stuff that clearly served as inspiration for Dad (G series perhaps). It still reads well for being over 65 years old.

15. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

Piers Anthony's Bio of a Space Tyrant: Mercenary. I read this when I was a kid. I can't believe my folks let me! The first book, Refugee, is all about rape, murder, and piracy... Mercenary is a bit better, but it is clear that morality has changed a tad in the 27th century!

16. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

Jagdstaffel 2 Boelcke: Von Richthofen's Mentor by Osprey. I've been on a WWI run lately.

17. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

This is kind of embarrassing- but I never read any MAR Barker! Infact I thought that EoPT was only a game and not adapted from novels. I did get to meet Prof Barker when I was about 4 years old. He had a great house with tons of old relics and things children should not touch :D His wife fed us a spiced kefta which didn't sit well with the pop I drank on the road trip to MN :eek: No surprise what happened next :oops: Needless to say, he didn't invite the whole Gygax clan over again.

I should go and find one of his books to read anyways.

18. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Hoping to pick up the Alpha Omega RPG system next week. Haven't done any post-apocalyptic gaming since I lost my copy of Gamma World, so I know what I'll be reading. :)

19. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Have you seen my interview with the Alpha/Omega guys? If so, I'd really appreciate your comments!

20. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Yes, I did see you interview G.P. That's what made me check out their (Mind Storm Labs) website. That website linked with another, Alpha Omega the game. Which linked to others & now I'm lost in cyberspace, forever. This game looks really awesome! Can't wait to pick it up.
    I believe I've already given you a thumbs-up on your interviews. Just had problems with the background noise. :)