One-Day or Visitor Badges?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KevinMelka, Feb 15, 2014.

1. KevinMelka

KevinMelka Level 0 Character

Has a decision been made on One-Day badges? Or for those that might be considered visitors and just want to talk to folks and shop the dealer room?

2. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Luke said in the fall that spectator badges would be available. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1166

Nobody's said anything specific about single-day badges.
    (However, with attendance mushrooming, space getting tight, and the desire to simplify badge options this year, I would not be surprised if they are not available any more.)

3. Dale

Dale Administrator

We have been discussing this very question. I'll speak to Luke tomorrow, as he is currently play-testing the GC module tonight.

Thanks.

4. ekimus

ekimus Footpad

One day badges of some kind would be great if possible. My two kids, teenagers, want to come to the Con and play, but just for one day, likely Sat or Sun> But a $45 or so badge cost for just that would be too much.

5. nesbit37

nesbit37 Level 0 Character

Agreed, my sister and mother would like to come down for 1 day with my niece and nephew (both under 7) to check things out and let them ooo and ahhh at all the games. Some sort of 1 day or other alternate badge would certainly be nice for a few different scenarios.

6. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

I couldn't agree more. A one day spectator badge of $10.00 would be terrific!

7. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I'll see what we can do for a spectator/visitor badge. A small fee is needed to cover badge and lanyard costs. A single day player badge is also needed, probably at $25. Dale and I will confer and set the prices so you all can plan.

I think that is pretty reasonable. I went to a local con here in NorCal and it was $30 for a one day badge. And I didn't get a lanyard or awesome event catalogue. In fact I had to find a table outside to run a game it was so crowded. Word on the street is that most cons are setting attendance records this year. That is a great sign for our hobby!

8. Dale

Dale Administrator

As Luke stated, the one day badge is $25. The four-day badge is $45.

Thanks, and looking forward in seeing everyone next month!

9. KevinMelka

KevinMelka Level 0 Character

Very disappointed in that price.

10. osarious

osarious Chevalier

You can't please everyone.

11. Dale

Dale Administrator

I am sorry about that. To plan, run, and host Gary Con is expensive. We put hundreds, if not thousands, of hours into making it a successful gathering for our attendees.

This year is going to be the best line-up of VIP's that we have ever had. If this year does not work for you- hopefully next year would be better.

Thanks, and I wish you the best.

12. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

If you make single day badge prices sum up to the total badge price, you tend to get a lot more people picking and choosing 1-2 days to participate, instead of 4.
    Obviously that gives more flexibility to the attendee.
    But that can also lead to lower attendance, lower revenue, greater imbalance between days (packed crowds on the popular days, emptiness on the less), harder to predict crowd sizes, and more administrative work.

It's pretty common in conventions for the a 1day to be roughly half the full price.
    http://www.gencon.com/attend/your_badge
    http://ntrpgcon.com/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=65
    https://nobleminis.com/RockconWP/Rock-Con2013flyer.pdf
    http://wizardworld.ticketleap.com/chicago/

13. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

As a full, four day attendee, I would not want a single day badge to be cheaper than what I've paid. So if my 50 dollar, 4 day badge can be bought at 10 bucks a day... well, other than pre-reg, why wouldn't I do that? So yes, $25 a day is the right price. Game on.