2014 Gary Con Challenge Coin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navar, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Navar

Navar Level 0 Character

Will there be a 2014 Gary Con Challenge Coin?

I haven't seen any information about this, but I would buy several. I picked up one at GC 2 or 3, & it is one of my favorite gaming mementoes.

Thanks,

Navar

2. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Navar,

You are in luck! We have ordered the coins and they will be available at GC VI. They are my favorite as well.

Luke

3. welleran

welleran Footpad

Cool! I like how you've done them every other year.

Will these (and t-shirts!) be available at some point on this site under Souvenirs?

4. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

What souvenirs will be available at Gary Con?

5. Dale

Dale Administrator

We have a lot of new souvenirs this year! More details to come.

The challenge coins are in- and they look awesome!

6. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Looking forward to it, thanks guys!

7. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Not those "special" autographed pics of you again... they just take up so much room in the bags.

8. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Only if they come with a sharpie and several darts.

9. Dale

Dale Administrator

When you told me last year to autograph yours with "BFF" - I had no idea what that meant.

10. mark

mark Spellbinder

A Rubenesque portrait of Dale in repose seems pointless unless it is autographed.

11. Icetower

Icetower Level 0 Character

I really want to make sure I get a Challenge Coin as it's my first GaryCon. I'll be getting in Wednesday, how do I go about making sure I get one?

12. caddy1071

caddy1071 Level 0 Character

Hi all! Okay, gotta ask - what is a Challenge Coin and what's the story behind it? :p Very intrigued! :)

tty!
    Cory

13. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

While people are at the bar, one person calls a challenge, everyone has to pull out and show a challenge coin that matches the person calling a challenge. Those that do not end up splitting a round of drinks for the group.

14. Madcity

Madcity Level 0 Character

Problem - Some of us are on a budget.

15. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

That's not exactly how the Gary Con challenge coin works. If you were in an organization like the military, then yes. The Gary Con coins are all numbered. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong here, but from what I have read in other threads, it goes like this: If you pull yours out to challenge someone, whoever has the coin with the higher number buys a drink for the person holding the lower number. It's completely optional to take part in this. If you want to buy a coin just as a souvenir and not participate in the challenge aspect, you are welcome to do so.

Hope this helps.

16. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

There is no requirement to buy anyone a drink. The coins are numbered to be more collectible. It is a nice coincidence that we can also, on a voluntary basis, use it as a military style challenge coin.

17. caddy1071

caddy1071 Level 0 Character

Ah! Cool - thanks guys, now I have been furnished a clue! :) I'll check them out - always up for drinking social. :)

Thanks!
    Cory

18. Savokk

Savokk Level 0 Character

Is it possible to request a number like last time? I would like to get the same numbered coin as my previous one.