Game for Gary Con VII

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JediSoth, Jul 13, 2014.

1. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

It's never too early to start planning!

Since there have been a couple of high-profile new releases this year, I was thinking of running a couple of them at Gary Con VII. I'm getting a little burned out by Paranoia, though I may still have a session of that (I have half of a new adventure written... TOMBCLONE!) I was thinking of running D&D 5th edition. I'll probably stick to the Basic Rules for the game at Gary Con, simply because it'll be easier to prep and run. I was also thinking of running Star Wars: Edge of the Empire or Age of Rebellion instead of my usual WEG D6 version. We've been playing EotE at home, and it's a lot of fun and moves really fast once the 30-minute learning curve of the dice passes.

I'll probably limit myself to running only 2-3 games this time, as I want more time to PLAY.

2. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I've never run a con game and I'm thinking it's time to give back. I'll probably run a C&C adventure next year or possibly a C&C-Mutant Future hybrid.

3. storycrafter

storycrafter Level 0 Character

Been thinking about running something for a few years now, but been too chicken. I am GOING to do something this spring! I've decided to go with FATE Accelerated and am currently working on a handful of scenarios. I'll be fleshing them out and testing them over the next 6 months or so.

ETA: This was written by Snowquilter, Storycrafter's wife who was accidentally logged into the wrong account somehow.

4. Dale

Dale Administrator

It is never to early to begin planning games. Planning is already underway on our side of the fence. :)

5. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I have an idea for a Saturday Morning Superheroes game using Fate Accelerated. It would star the B-list (Z-list?) superheroes, of course, because that's funnier. I may do that instead of Paranoia this year. Any chance to use my Fate dice made of Vesuvian Lava.... :D

6. nerosfiddle

nerosfiddle Level 0 Character

I've been toying with running a Barbarians of Lemuria game.
    Very cool, rules light Swords & Sorcery game. I think it would fit in nicely with the Old School vibe of the Con.

I'm curious though, is there a preference at Gary Con for games being run with or without miniatures?

7. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I've seen, played in, and run both. A long as the game is fun, I don't think anyone cares.

8. snowquilter

snowquilter Level 0 Character

Yes, GaryCon has all kinds of games. Although I've never seen a 3.0 or later game, which doesn't bother me at all. Lots of older games - things that are out of print or are just now being reprinted. Some rely heavily on minis, others don't use minis at all.

9. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

There were quite a few Pathfinder (aka 3.75) games this year, I believe.

I recall a fair amount of mini usage - sometimes just to show relative positioning, sometimes with quite elaborate terrain. However, the style of play generally isn't "4Eish" (from my limited understanding of it), if that's what you mean.

10. bighara

bighara Chevalier

I use minis a lot in my home games, but transporting them to WI isn't practical for me.

11. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Using mini's is perfectly fine and there is no prejudice against using them. It is a matter of your preference and perhaps table space. Gary Con definitely salutes the roots of our hobby- but I also want to nuture the shoots (to stel from Tim Kask's sayings). That means we welcome PF, D&D Next, Godlike and other newer games are welcome. The idea is that we get together to celebrate the life and works of my Dad by playing games and enjoying the camaraderie of being amongst fellow game enthusiasts.

12. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Hmm, I guess it's time to start planning out my events, maybe a white box event using the old Warriors of Mars supplement. Now if I can just get my hands on that supplement.

13. nerosfiddle

That's what I figured.
    Transporting the minis is the thing that makes me hesitate.
    Character sheets and game books are easy to travel with. Minis, not so much.

14. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

When I run a game that requires minis, I have a small container and pack only the ones I need for the adventure. Sometimes, you can get away with putting all the minis you need for every game you're running in one of these. You can get them in craft stores, or in the craft section of your local mega mart.

15. nerosfiddle

I was looking at paper minis as a potential solution.
    I can fit a whole whack of em with virtually no weight increase for travel, and if a bunch get destroyed, who cares? They're just paper, I can print out more!

16. diaglo

diaglo Chevalier

i've brought 5-6 lbs of lead with me every time i've been. ATL flight to milwaukee and back.
    i've also brought the cheap plastic stuff put out by Hasbro a couple years ago to supplement.

17. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

In honor of the May 15th release of the new Mad Max movie, Fury Road, I might just run some Aftermath! :cool:

[​IMG]

18. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Only if you run it on the day I wear my Fallout costume (got a Vault 101 Jumpsuit, some caps, a box of mentats, and an AEP7 Laser Pistol (Pew-Pew!), just searching for an affordable Pipboy 3000). :D

19. rayhemphill

rayhemphill Level 0 Character

Is there any interest in a seminar or workshop on building better villains?

20. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I'll have one Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea game on the schedule.

I'm considering running a Crimson Skies game, using the original boardgame rules (I really, and I mean REALLY didn't like the clicky-base rules.)