First Time Attendee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nerosfiddle, Jun 18, 2014.

1. nerosfiddle

nerosfiddle Level 0 Character

Hi guys,
    I'm planning on attending Gary Con for the first time in March.
    I was able to book a room but obviously I missed the online registration window. I figure I can just join some walk up games.
    But I was wondering if there are any tips or suggestions you may have?
    I'm flying into Milwaukee on the 25th to be there a day early.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

You haven't missed registration for 2015. That hasn't happened yet.

3. nerosfiddle

Excellent.
    I was confused when I read that badges were no longer being sold online.
    I guess that was regarding the 2014 con.
    I'll keep an eye open for online registration.
    Thanks!

4. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Level 0 Character

Greetings!

I'm looking to attend my first Gary Con in 2015 and becoming immersed in the Old School Gaming Goodness. I'll bring the zombies.

5. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Soon you newbs will learn of the greatness of GaryCon, spread the word and Steal Dale's Coffee. And revel in it.

6. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Stay on the lookout for announcements as early as this weekend. We are getting the gears turning for Gary Con VII....

7. Dale

Dale Administrator

I was informed, from a reliable source, that SDC was cancelled.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

8. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I'm thinking you may have forgot a detail or two. Mwahahahaha!

9. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

I'm sure we can get a "pick-up" game going. Don't worry!

10. nerosfiddle

I have a silly question.
    Given that the gaming will be going on round' the clock, how is food access at the lodge?
    I see that there are 2 restauraunts on the premises. Does anyone know what time they close?

11. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

The restaurants close in the late evening. You have to order in or pick up stuff for the late hours.

12. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

The cool thing is there is catered food directly to the gaming tables during normal business hours at the Lodge. A waiter or waitress comes to the tables and takes orders while you play, then the food magically appears a little later. The uncool thing is this was significantly scaled back this year so that only the VIP room really got consistent service.

13. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

Since this year was my first Gary Con, I can't compare to previous years but I was pretty happy with the concierge service. The waitstaff were running their butts off all day. Yeah, if they had a few more people it would have been easier to find someone sometimes but I didn't really mind.

14. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

The service was fantastic last year. There was a big drop-off in table-side service (outside of the VIP room) this year compared to last. That isn't a criticism of the servers themselves this year. There just weren't enough of them and they didn't give much attention at all to most of the playing hall areas.

15. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

There was also a cash service of burgers, hot dogs, etc. downstairs in the landing area during the day on Friday, Saturday and part of Sunday (IIRC) that one could get a quick bite to eat from.

16. BGD99

BGD99 Level 0 Character

Hi all I am also a newb... how much do the badges cost and what do you get access to etc?
    Thanks!

17. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Hail and welcome, BGD

Check out
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1166
    as a good starting point.

18. thenorthman

thenorthman Level 0 Character

First time attendee here as well.

Managed to get a room for the 25th through checking out the 27th. Then again the 29th.

Here is to hoping something opens up for the night of the 27th and 28th. If not Holiday Inn Express in Janestown, WI will be my stay those two nights. Google says 37 minutes to drive their....less without traffic.

Now to get a badge....I think I want a Platinum....if those are offered again. :O)