Interest in after hours Gaming at GaryCon VII

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stahlnee, Jul 19, 2014.

1. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Wanting to see what folks might be interested in doing after hours, say 10pm to 8am each night.

2. Dale

Dale Administrator

Typically, for me and I would imagine most others, the after-hours are filled with more gaming, social functions, and about 4 hours of sleep.

The magic of Gary Con is not the "scheduled" games, but the interaction and randomness that occurs during it. I've built life-long friendships because of it, as many others have too.

Most of the rooms are unlocked to allow 24 hour gaming- while others gaming in their rooms.

3. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

When you see Dale in his Brony wig and shirt at 3am, it's probably a good time to take a break.

4. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

As one of those crazy DMs who run 8:00 a.m. games for the Early Birds, I have to get some sleep each night! :mrgreen: However, I have been known to make it a really late night here and there, either gaming or socializing. I wouldn't start playing in a game at 10:00 p.m. but I have been known to play in a long game that'll run until 1:00 a.m. or so. There are definitely folks at GaryCon who make the later hours more of a priority than I do.

(Ninja'd by Jon.... Cute. :lol: )

Whaddaya know - I just became a Magician! ;)

5. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I've played in one brutally late session each of the last two years. I was in the last game session to end on Friday night at Gary Con V. It was scheduled to run until 2 am if I recall correctly. Things really wound down in the play halls by 1 p.m. I don't know if there is a lot of play going on in people's rooms at the resort, but there isn't much going on in the play halls overnight. I had a similar experience this year (Gary Con VI). I played until at least 1 a.m. on Friday night and there wasn't much going on in the playing halls by the time we broke.

I'm getting too old to play that late and get up for a session before noon the next day. I was a wreck after my late sessions at GC V and VI. I salute the hardcores that can function on 4 hours of sleep throughout the con. Fortunately, there is a ton of stuff going on during the day. I keep promising myself I won't register for another late night session, but then a great GM will cruelly schedule a fantastic event for 10 pm and I start thinking I'm as good once as I ever was. (I'm talking to you, John Wright!) I probably won't be able to help myself at GC VII, either.

6. nerosfiddle

nerosfiddle Level 0 Character

I was thinking of bringing my copy of the four player co-op board game "Darkest Night" by Victory Point Games for just such an after hours thing.
    But since I've never been to Gary Con before, I'm not sure if it's worth it.
    Do board games get played at all during the con?

7. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

Oh, yes. Most definitely! The restaurant gets taken over by the board gamers and the library of games one can borrow. But there are still a lot of board games being played downstairs in the other rooms also.

8. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Last year we gamed Civilization on Sunday until 2am Monday morning.

9. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

That was fun game. I played the Egypt area and looking forward to a repeat next year. I hope that we can start the game earlier in the afternoon.

Edwin

10. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

It was a great session! I never get to play that anymore.

11. mark

mark Spellbinder

I plan to schedule the Civilization start time for 2 pm as we discussed. I'm also looking to start at 10 am Sunday for the convention re-debut of Steal Dabrony's Coffee. As many of you know, this game has likely not seen convention play since the late 1970s! SDC should be about a two to three hour event, giving all involved the chance to grab some lunch before Civilization starts if they happen to wish to play in both. SDC is well into re-development and I have no doubt will be ready for a convention re-unveiling by Gary Con VII. I'll probably have a number of sets of the SDC game in case we get a large demand. I'm looking forward to us playing Civilization again as well as playing Steal Dabrony's Coffee! :)

12. ZenthaneX

ZenthaneX Level 0 Character

This last year during GaryCon I was working first shift, normally I work third. Hopefully, I'll be on third when GC VII rolls around next year. My plan was to schedule either one Pathfinder Society game or one large board game (Talisman, Mansions of Madness, Relic, etc) slot each of the 3 nights this year for the late, late slot (2 am or so) as I'll be PFS'ing it up till 1 a.m. for sure each day. If i can get a full table for any of those I'll gladly do it since those are my peak hours normally.

13. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Sweet! Penciled in my Sunday schedule:
    10am - SDC
    2pm - Civilization

Edwin

14. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I hope SDC is played all weekend long, Mark. I want to play every character.

15. mark

mark Spellbinder

Groovy! :)

We will see. Perhaps a demo copy can be passed around for those who'd like to wrangle some players from time to time over the weekend?

16. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I don't understand this concept of after hours...... there are only 2 types of time at garycon: sleeping and gaming, and they tend to run at a 1:5 ratio for me. :D

17. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

If anyone has Ultimate Werewolf and would like to run it late at night, you can count me in.