Thinking of running a 1ed game this year suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sd8k, Sep 16, 2014.

1. sd8k

sd8k Level 0 Character

I think its time to take the plunge and have a go at running a game this year at Garycon. I will be putting pencil to paper this month but would like some feedback.

I'd like to do a 1ed game like White Plume Mountain or Tomb of the Lizard King since I know those modules well and enjoy them.

Anyone have suggestions as far as pre-gens or picking an appropriate module? While I have been a DM for a while this will be my first time running at a convention any wise words for the uninitiated? :lol:

Thanks in advance, and I'll see you in March!

Dave

2. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I'd recommend running White Plume Mountain. Someone ran Tomb of the Lizard King in 2013.

3. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

I have never played either of those, so I would be interested in both. I seem to have missed out on most of the classic modules, so I would be happy to see people running them.

4. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I should also point out that Tomb of the Lizard King is a loooong module. It does not fit well into a four hour time slot. You would need to modify it heavily to finish it in a normal convention slot.

5. sd8k

sd8k Level 0 Character

Good point about the Tomb of the Lizard King. I think the Writ has expired anyway :p

Maybe I'll stick with White Plume then.

6. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Ha! :D

7. dmcojo

dmcojo Level 0 Character

Tomb of Horrors...I would love to try and get into a game of that!

8. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

Tomb of Horrors is another that I have not played, and would be interested in.

9. sd8k

sd8k Level 0 Character

Tomb of Horrors is a great suggestion too.

Thanks for the feedback! Now I need to start putting it all together and watch or event submission.

Dave

10. tellion

tellion Footpad

Dave, try not to think of it as a convention but rather just as running a game for a new group of players. So, just run your game as you usually would and cover any house rules you use (if any) during your introduction/setup. One of the great things about playing at a convention is that you get to experience the many different ways DMs have come up with to enhance game play, whether by modifying rules to speed up play, adding custom variables like critical hits, or by bringing NPCs to life. That is one of the things I look forward to each year. That, and the New Glarus Spotted Cow.

Also, you might want to describe your general DM style in the event description when you register your event, especially if your style is unusual. Surprises can be fun, but if players know what they signed up for, you're usually not going to disappoint anyone.

11. sd8k

sd8k Level 0 Character

MMMMMMM The Spotted Cow - Incidentally my new go-to pub name for my games HA!

Thanks for the advice.. its common sense really as Garycon is like a bunch of old friends at the dining room table!

What about pre-gens characters? Since White Plume mountain does not have any is there like an official library or do I just grab some from my binder of champions :) I want a good mix to choose from.

My style is best described as sandbox. I like to put everything on the players and let them run with it see what they come up with. I think this will work really well with an experienced player base. That said I reserve the right to pull the reins a bit to keep things from getting too crazy.

Dave

12. ogrevampire

ogrevampire Level 0 Character

I WOULD LOVE to play Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. That was my favourite in my youth. I would love for someone with mad skillz to DM it. And yes I would trust Ned Shakeshaft, he seems like a really nice guy.

13. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Definitely use pregens. Some people strongly advocate letting players roll up PCs at the gaming table, especially if running a level 1 adventure for newbies since they consider rolling up PCs a key component of playing D&D. Personally, I think that is nuts since PC generation takes way too long and you end up losing a lot of valuable playing time. While it might arguably be a good idea when running a 1st level adventure, it would be downright suicidal if you are running a mid- to high-level adventure (e.g., Tomb of Horrors). Putting together spell lists and agreeing on equipment and magic items would take forever. Pregens are your friend.

Sadly, I'm not sure I can refer to you a ready source of pregens. You could look at other modules for comparable levels. You might also look at the Rogues Gallery for ideas.

14. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I've submitted a Tomb of Horrors event already, but it is for Women Only (since many of our lady gamers at Gary Con are relatively new and haven't had a chance to experience it in all it's 1st edition glory).

15. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

Remember the old days of GaryCon? I played Saltmarsh at...GaryCon III maybe...as a pickup game...off the cuff...in the open gaming area. Those were the days...