Early call for volunteers for Gary Con VIII

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ScottEDouglas, Nov 4, 2015.

1. ScottEDouglas

ScottEDouglas Level 0 Character

Hi everyone!

We've looked at the new venue and it's massive. We're going have the tools to be able to take this great convention to a whole new level. But to do so, we're all going to need some help from each other.

I can see us needing help in the following areas:
    1. Registration desk - this will entail two to four hour shifts helping attendees get badges and con materials
    2. Swag merchants - two to four hour shifts selling cups, books, t-shirts and other con-appropriate gear
    3. Torch bearers - two to four hour shifts providing roving guidance and event security
    4. VIP minions - some of our honored gamemasters may need help moving gear and setting up tablespace

I'd prefer limiting volunteering to eight hours or less a day, mostly because I expect volunteers to be running and playing games most of the day. If we're not each having a great time, we're not honoring Gary's memory, missing the whole reason to attend Gary Con.

Please contact us at [email protected] to offer help. Comment here to ask about general volunteer info.

Scott

2. no1starwarsfan

no1starwarsfan Level 0 Character

Hi! I've volunteered for years at GenCon, and most recently helped Gameholecon with their volunteer scheduling and would love to help GaryCon as well. Please let me know how I can be of assistance!

3. Mike

Mike Level 0 Character

I emailed a couple of times over the last few months this fall about volunteering but never hear back.
    Is there an alternate email address to contact about volunteering? Are yahoo emails going to a spam box?
    Or haven't there been responses to volunteer inquires yet?

Also, if we volunteer, should we still pay to register? Or do volunteers get in for free?

Thanks
    Mike

4. ErikB

ErikB Level 0 Character

Hi Mike,

Did anyone get back to you? I haven't heard from anyone either.

Erik

5. WendyKris

WendyKris Level 0 Character

I sent an e-mail about volunteering a while ago. I haven't heard anything back.

6. Mike

Mike Level 0 Character

No, haven't heard anything back yet...anyone else?

7. ScottEDouglas

I have started individual conversations with those above who've generously offered their time during the show. Once folks have their individual schedules, then we can actually fill in the grid. Thanks to everyone who's considered helping; the new space might require extra help early on in the con just to show folks around. The space is posh and parking is ample.

8. glamcrist

glamcrist Footpad

My wife is interested in volunteering!

9. ScottEDouglas

Thanks everyone. Get your registration in as soon as possible and lock down your game slots so I can avoid scheduling you during them.

mark likes this.
  10. Axiom

Axiom Level 0 Character

I also volunteered a while back, got a email about it and then nothing. Do i need to volunteer again, or am I on the list?

11. ScottEDouglas

You are on the list now. Thanks for offering!

12. ScottEDouglas

Still need help. Won't schedule anybody into time slots until we know what game events the volunteer is running/playing in. I expect to post a volunteer schedule through the volunteer email list about ten days prior to the con, so we can work out conflicts.

13. Madcity

Madcity Level 0 Character

I sent an email to volunteer Wedensday afternoon for badge pick up and Thursday morning from 7 am to noon. Have not heard anything

14. ScottEDouglas

I have created a private conversation to get your personal info. Thanks for offering. We can definitely use the help.

15. osarious

osarious Chevalier

My whole family has been volunteering for years with Gary Con (Luke can attest to that). Put us down on the list.

Bryon, Sarah, Britainney, Gabrielle and Kayleigh Petrie

One registration is done, we will work with you to fill in the Volunteer Grid.

16. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

Thank you to all of you volunteers! Your role will be even more critical this year as we are in a new and bigger venue. There are three floors of gaming and the Chaldea room in the Grand Suite....so we will be more decentralized and require more people to help all enjoy Gary Con.

17. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

Update on this- it looks like the volunteer email listed on our website wasn't correctly set up to forward your messages to Scott. That's been fixed now, and hopefully you've been able to connect with him otherwise in the mean time. We'll be rolling out much more info about volunteer opportunities in the next few weeks.

18. ScottEDouglas

I have been collecting names and contacts for several months. If your email to [email protected] hasn't been returned yet, feel free to post here and I'll get your info in a personal conversation. While we can always use a few more, we're doing pretty well on volunteer numbers. I'm more focused on making sure our volunteers get into the games they want. Looking forward to registering for games myself this weekend.