Password Reset and Sign-up email not working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bgosell, Jan 15, 2016.

1. bgosell

bgosell Level 0 Character

A friend who attended the 2014 Con is having issues with the GaryCon site and accessing his account. The following has been tried over the last week with no results.

1. Reset password - no email sent to rest
    2. Contact email link on site - no response
    3. Set up new account - no email sent to activate new account
    4. Spam folder checked - no spam found

What steps are needed to activate the original account - is there an email he can use to move this process forward?

2. BIglehart

BIglehart Level 0 Character

I'm having the same issues. I'd really like to purchase our tickets, but have been having issues since before Christmas...

3. cjhooker

cjhooker Level 0 Character

I was having the same problem. I finally gave up on my original account and created one with a different email address. Luckily, I did get the activation email and was able to create the account and get my badge.

What provider was the new email account at? Sometimes email will get block even before it goes into your spam folder.

What is perhaps even more upsetting to me than the login problems is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any effective way to contact someone and get help.

This experience does not give me confidence that registration will go smoothly.

Tink333 likes this.
  4. Angry

Angry Level 0 Character

Same thing is happening to me! It wouldn't even let me sign onto this site without creating an entirely new user!

I was able to purchase my gold ticket back in August, and set up a hotel room. In months since though, I've been unable to login or reset my password. I've sent several emails asking what to do. Nothing seems to work. I want to go to the show! I want to sign up for events! What do I do?

At this point I need to book a flight and rent a car if I still plan to attend. I'm afraid I've already lost nearly $400 trying to set this trip up, but with no communication ability at all with the folks at Gary Con, HOW DO I KNOW? What do I do? Why throw more money at this when YOU WON'T COMMUNICATE WITH ME?

WHAT DO I DO? How can I sign into the site with the account that I bought the gold ticket with?

I'm supremely frustrated with the whole thing and wish I never attempted the trip in the first place. It appears I wasted my hard earned $$$$.

FIX THIS SOMEBODY

5. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

If you're having issues logging in, try clicking the Login button in the upper, right corner (as opposed to clicking on a link that requires a login and then trying to login). I think the issue is that Wordpress wants a successful security image check, but the window for that only appears when you login through the Login button. Other ways don't appear to open that window and it won't let you login without it. Also use a different browser and/or empty your temporary Internet files if you continue to have trouble. You may have a bad file.

6. spaartuk

spaartuk Level 0 Character

I eventually managed to log in with a Wordpress account that I had set up years before, but not for anything to do with the garycon.com site. I can confirm that as of today, 2016-01-20, the "reset password" function on the site does not seem to send a password reset message.

7. Navar

Navar Level 0 Character

FWIW, I just used the "Reset Password" five minutes ago & it worked fine.

8. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I've been getting glitchy performance lately from Firefox w Adblock enabled.
    Sometimes I have to switch to Chrome (with no ad blocker) to get things to work.
    Not sure if the problem is FF or the ad blocker itself.

Switching browser and/or disabling blocking is the only suggestion I can come up with for you.

9. tellion

tellion Footpad

I am having the same issues using chrome... Frustrating.

edit

Not sure this will work for others having this issue, but after successfully logging into the forums I was able to go to the GaryCon home page on a new tab and re-enter my credentials with success. Very buggy site. Makes me very nervous about event registration.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  10. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

Our web infrastructure it totally new this year, so we're sure to encounter a lot of unexpected results. We really appreciate you reporting issues you are having- some have easy fixes, others don't and our webmaster Thomas will really appreciate data until we can either fix or publish workarounds for our known bugs. Look for a new sticky post soon specifically for technical issues. In the mean time, email [email protected] if you are still having trouble.

11. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Trying to create accounts for my daughter this morning and I haven't received a confirmation e-mail for either the garycon.com site registration or for the forum registration. I then requested that the forum registration e-mail be re-sent and requested a password reminder/reset for the garycon.com site and I haven't received either of those. That's four e-mails that haven't been received, but Wordpress e-mails are being received fine. I am using a separate e-mail address for my daughter and the expected e-mails are not in the spam folder.

12. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

For those having trouble logging in, when the Wordpress security window opens, try using the "Login With Wordpress" button. I could not log on with my daughter's new account by entering my info in the WP Window, but it worked through the WP site and then it asks you if you want to login to the GC site and that works (at least it did for me). The WP account is apparently created along with the GC account because I used the same info. Thanks Jason Azze for that tip.

13. katsin

katsin Level 0 Character

I have had to change my password multiple times in the last two days. I am certainly entering the correct password but I get rejected each time I log in. I am not computer literate so I'm up the creek without a paddle. Ideas? Can an Administrator save me? I don't know. I'm close to giving up. When I enter my password a screen pops up saying "your IP (....) has been flagged for potential security violations."

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016