No one to blame but ourselves...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JamieTheRed, Jan 30, 2016.

1. JamieTheRed

JamieTheRed Level 0 Character

I have been attending GaryCon for six years in a row now and each year we "the barbarians at the gates" all log in and ping the crap out of the site trying to be the first ones in. Then, when the gates open, and the barbarians destroy their booty, they sit back and sigh. This barbarian will be ready for another assault at 3 pm est! :0) Who's with me???!!!

Kubo, Erik Garland and PBurke like this.
  2. Tink333

Tink333 Footpad

Actually, Jim Wampler just posted on the GC FB group that someone did actually hack the system and the side effect of them trying to fix it was inadvertently turning the submit button live.

3. Donegal

Donegal Level 0 Character

That's awesome! I seriously think I would miss the registration issues if one year everything just worked. It builds suspense for the Con! And even when I don't get what I want I still have a great time at the event. I think last year there were GP spots open several weeks after the registration, even games with "old guard" GMs.

Kubo and brendar like this.
  4. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

What!

A barbarian can not be held accountable for their impulses!

This barbarian will be pushing at the gate, just as any respectible barbarian would be!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  5. datagoblin67

datagoblin67 Level 0 Character

I disagree with the OP statement, there are plenty of Cons that dont have this many issues each year. GameHole Con, for one, has been running for only a couple years and is an EXCELLENT example on overcoming communication issues (lack of, updating social media instead of website) and technical issues (crashes, server loads, hacking?). I think their attendance numbers were on par, if not even a little more than GC this past year.

Tink333 likes this.
  6. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

We're all human, what can we do?

mark, PBurke and stahlnee like this.
  7. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

You are setting an apt example of what we can do!

8. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

I can't argue that it's unacceptable to have repeatedly poor performance. For a couple of years in a row GC has had some of the same issues. That is why Luke brought me and the entire rest of our staff on board for the first time this year. We are all new staff, all new systems this year. We inherited a lot of bad problems, and they aren't all fixed yet. I'm not going to accept blame for past years mistakes, but I am going to acknowledge that its time we fix them. We made some improvements this year, but there's still a lot of work to do.

9. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

We're all only human, you guys are doing the best you can and I think we all know it, even if there's some frustrations. I know I felt quite a bit frustrated at noon myself. Keep up the great work GaryCon Staff we all know you're trying your darnest and let's all keep our eyes on the prize! A great GaryCon VIII!!!

10. athornton

athornton Footpad

I said this to @mwisconsin privately last night, but I'll say it here too: I've been doing IT professionally for a long time, and so has another of my buddies I'm buying events for. I have a sneaking suspicion that LOTS of us who go to Gary Con have been doing things like this a long time.

If the GC staff got a list of IT grognards willing to help shortly after Gary Con, and reached out to them in, say, October...I think we could help. And I would certainly be willing to throw a few hours in to avoid the ulcers I get every registration.

11. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Best defense against a group of barbarians is a capital 1 cc.

Melf likes this.
  12. Jamie Hale

Jamie Hale Level 0 Character

Yup, sign me up. How about a big open source project that people can contribute to (and audit for security flaws)?

Jarlaxle likes this.
  13. Kubo

Kubo Level 0 Character

You can't compare a convention that's only been only around a couple of years to Gary Con. In my experience since GC IV, GC had no registration problems whatsoever until GC VI, when it got substantially more popular.

14. tellion

tellion Footpad

GC has had issues with registration ever since it implemented on-line registration. This year, the issues just seem to be more complicated to resolve. In past years, the site crashed, people couldn't get back on, and when they did, events were sold out, and many people were frustrated and unhappy. They did, however, know what they did and didn't get by the end of the day. This year, many people (including me) still do not know what they got and didn't get. Also, my initial order seemed to go through fine, except that my cart did not clear out and my coin was not decremented, so I submitted it again. But I thought I was good when I saw the events on my account page listed under "my registered events." I mean, it says MY REGISTERED EVENTS after all. So I waited and chatted with others who were also experiencing similar results, until some started getting e-mail confirmations with the tickets. I kept checking my e-mail for said confirmations and also the GC Facebook page for updates, and only after some time did I suspect there might be an issue with my registration. At this point, I manually cleared my cart and started to register for events in a piecemeal manner, since my coin still had not been deducted. Event after event, I resubmitted for (if tickets were still available), and my chart was cleared out and coins were deducted when I checked out, but still no confirmation e-mails came. I posted my issue through the proper link at that time, and the initial response gave me some hope that my initial order was good and that they just needed to clean up the duplicates. One pass was done on cleaning up my registered events, and I was asked to check for confirmation e-mails. Still nothing. So they cancelled my initial order and one of the orders I had resubmitted and had coinage drawn down on. Still no confirmation email, and no follow up since, but my account page now only shows 5 registered events, and some of my orders (including my initial order) show that they have been cancelled. I am hoping that I will eventually get confirmed on the 5 events still listed, but I really want to know why my initial order did not go through for any events, considering that I was able to resubmit orders for 6 of 9 of the same events (although 1 was subsequently cancelled by staff due to "erroneous" availability). I did not get the internal server error message on the initial order, but obviously something didn't work. I think that the majority of the issues that everyone experienced were a result of that unfortunate bug.

jim skach likes this.
  15. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

Sorry, when were you able to check yoru account last? The site still says it's down for maintenance as far as I can see. By the by, I have much the same issue but have not heard from anyone.

16. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

The only event I got a confirmaiton on was for my VIP event, but that happened before reg started.

17. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

I feel your frustration. In the past the registration system simply accepted requests as emails and they were sorted out manually. With Gary Con grown to the size it is, that process wasn't scaleable. This is the first year we've had a real automated system behind the scenes, and the software we chose failed the stress test of live registration. Our servers were rock solid this year, so that problem was not a repeat. Our software system in place this year as you see it is not intended as a permanent solution, its what we could get in place in time for the Con this year. We already have a lot of solutions ready, we just didn't have the resources to put them in place in time for registration this year.

Again, not to make excuses- the end result to you is the same and its not acceptable. Gary Con is going through some growing pains right now and we're doing our best to deliver a great product to you. All we can ask is your patience and understanding but I know actions speak louder than words. I'm confident that we still have an outstanding event ready in March, and these pains will be forgotten by the this time next year and you won't see them again.

PBurke and Poindexter like this.
  18. DieCastGames

DieCastGames Level 0 Character

My brother and I both got our email confirmations. One email looks like they are the tickets for the event you can print. Not sure if they are providing tickets when you check in at the con or not now.

19. Erik Olsen

Erik Olsen Chevalier

I for one have not lost faith, although I admit I was a bit excited yesterday at noon when you guys were unbeknownst to most of us, triaging a hack to the system. That said, I'm happy to give you guys the time you need to figure out who got what and when. I'm not sure if others have the issue, but the site appears to still be down so people I imagine are waiting for some sort of answer and resolution. We all know you guys are working super hard and doing your very best to deliver. I imagine a good deal of the frustration is that so many of us saw things as registered in our accounts, but now have no idea what that means if anything. Do you guys plan another round of registrations? I have to be honest, I'm really not clear on what your plans are to resolve this all.

20. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

I have gotten nothing in my email from Garycon...I cannot check from my phone, but as of a.gew hours ago, the site was still down so I could not check my registered events. having said that, at least SOME registratons went through, because one game I'm running is booked solid.