Legends of Wargaming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paul j. stormberg, Jan 21, 2016.

1. ThrashLibrarian

ThrashLibrarian Level 0 Character

This is a bit long-winded, but consider it a bit of an introduction.

Things didn't go quite as I expected with registration this year, so I took a leap, and I'll be spending a lot of time in the Legends of Wargaming area this year. I'm primarily an RPG player, and over my past three years attending GaryCon, I've mostly stuck in my comfort area - older editions of D&D and games highly influenced by those editions. Each year, I found myself wandering through and observing the Legends of Wargaming events, and in 2014, I participated in a Dawn Patrol/Fight in the Skies game, but that has been it so far. This year, because of some some issues with my cart, I missed out on most of the the RPGs I was aiming to play. Instead of getting frustrated, I decided it was time to expand my gaming experiences at GaryCon.

I signed up for three Dawn Patrol Events (Early War, Late War, and Championship). I've brought that back to my local gaming group, and we play on occasion, but I really want to play more often. I'm sure playing with the crew at GC will help me get a better handle on the rules, making it easier to introduce it to new players.

I'm registered for two Chainmail events - the Historical Scenario Battle on the Ice and the Fantasy Scenario Brown Hills. Last year, we were playing Traveller just a few feet away from the Battle on the Ice game and everyone looked so engaged. Lots of cheering, high-fiving, and a little grumbling when things didn't go their way.

I'll also be playing Don't Give Up the Ship! and Little Wars for Queen and Country. I remember my first Gary Con (2013), wandering through the LoW room, and seeing all the folks gathered around the felt "sea map", with Mike Carr sitting in the middle. What the heck are these guys doing?! Then I did a bit of investigation, and figured I better try it out at some point. Luckily, it fit into my schedule this year. As for Little Wars, I've seen it set up on the table each year, but I seem to always miss it in action. I love some of the modern dexterity based games like Flick 'em Up and Catacombs, and wanted to try playing their spiritual ancestor.

So that's how I turned a negative (missing out on some RPGs) into a big positive (learning a bunch of games I haven't played and meeting a bunch of new people). Can't wait for March 3rd to roll around!

2. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Nice! I stumbled into wargaming much like you. I kept wandering through the LoW area and staring. A couple years ago a group of guys invited me to play the Remagen scenario with them and I had a blast. Last year I tried out Chainmail and enjoyed it, too. I'm not preregistering for any events this year, but I would have been all over some of the war games if I had. The LoW stuff is really cool.

paul j. stormberg likes this.
  3. The Blue Max

The Blue Max Level 0 Character

We are glad to have you back at the Dawn Patrol tables, and if you are interested, we play Dawn patrol online using Roll20 and Skype every Sunday and Monday night

4. ThrashLibrarian

ThrashLibrarian Level 0 Character

I lurk a bit on the DawnPatrol.info site, and knew of the online games. I was a bit intimidating jumping in, but maybe after the con I'll feel more up to it.