How family-friendly will GaryCon II be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeffery st. clair, Aug 6, 2009.

1. jeffery st. clair

jeffery st. clair Troubadour

I ask because, as some of you know, I run an after-school games club at my junior high school (which is about a half-hour from the Lodge). This year I know some of the kids would love to come by and play, if they can get their folks to give them a ride. I've got some real fans of Settlers, Kerry's Adventurer and Linkz, Ticket to Ride, San Juan, and lots more. The die-hards are all ages 11 to 14. Some of them are dying to play old-school D&D, but I don't have permission to run that at school yet. :oops:

I know there were a few kids playing last year, and it looked like they were having a lot of fun. Some of my students really should get to this (or even Gaming Hoopla in September, or both). They ask me about gaming cons, and this is the one I want them to attend, if possible.

Now, my students aren't totally fragile, but if they sat at your table, would any of the parents come back at me later? I'm not worried about a bit of swearing, and I would hope to God everyone holds their liquor, but is anyone running anything really out-of-bounds for younger gamers?

(Also, somebody please make a flyer, and I'll make sure the kids all get a copy!)

Jeffery

2. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Kid-friendly here, other than an occassional grisly scene. I save the really foul stuff for my local group.

3. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

I'm sure there will be drinking, debauchery, and all kinds of bad things going on! Cuz that's what those evil, twisted gamers do!! :twisted:

I thought last year's Gary Con was a perfect setting for all ages. My only concern was the Circus Maximus people with all their taunting of each other! Alot of people were put off by that!! NOT!! :)

Seriously though, Ken, I don't think it's going to be a problem. Actually, it's nice to see the younger crowd interested in this type of thing instead of being glued to a DS or a PC. Bring 'em, I say!!

4. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

well, Ken, I was going to hold a wet t-shirt contest, but if you are bringing the youngsters then I will scratch that off the event list :p

I put together a simple flyer and it was too simple in the opinion of just about everyone that saw it :oops: So hopefully Dale and/or Kerry are polishing the rough product and perhaps we can make it available for download on the site- as well as hand it out at Gen Con.

5. francisca

francisca Troubadour

That's OK, Luke. I didn't want to see Kask and Mentzer like that anyway. :lol:

6. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

[​IMG]

7. GeneWeigel

GeneWeigel Footpad

Honestly, when I game, I just leave the kids behind (although I hate to leave them.). The last thing they need to see is their dad wired on a case of Red Bull with cigars sticking out of his ears!

;)

I'm not one of those people who "gets hammered by 5" but I can't say that I'm not one of those people who "gets hammered by 10" so...
    ;)

Speaking of the presence of kids, in all honesty of truth and after all the driving, I guarantee that I'm definitely not going to be in the mood to "babysit" anybody who seems juvenile or "easily offended", etc. So I might have to put up a "Surgeon General's Warning":

QUITTING GENE WEIGEL'S DUNGEON NOW GREATLY REDUCES THE CHANCE OF STUNTING YOUR GROWTH

;)

8. MAJ Bill

MAJ Bill Level 0 Character

I agree with Gene. Kids are OK to some extent, earlier in the day. I can control myself and not be completely vile. But I do plan on getting my drink on, and a few explitives will fly. I imagine the day starting with a PG rating and working it's way to an R.

9. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I don't foresee Gary Con having any events that are adult oriented only. But I am sure that there will be some colorful descriptions of monsters and/or characters being killed and a few swear words uttered. I think you could bring young players, but make sure to exercise good parental judgement.

I believe that Chris Clark will run a game for youngsters and many young players enjoy the Adventurer card games too. Just realize that they may hear a few curses as they walk around the con.

There is a bar in the hotel and I imagine that some folks will drink alcohol in the evenings as well, but it shouldn't be too wild in the gaming hall- the staff lounge is another story though :lol:

10. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

By evenings, I suppose you mean 12:01, no? :D

11. geekpreacher

geekpreacher Spellbinder

Well, my wife and daughter may come w/ me this next GaryCon but I'm not 100% sure right now. However, with my experiences at last GaryCon and most Con's I've been to the children of gamers generally know how things are and I've yet to see anything get out of control.

(Or, at least when it has gotten out of control, it was already being taken care of by the adults before children were being involved.)

I may be biased but gamers tend to be a politer branch of society.

12. Ector

Ector Level 0 Character

Well, how does an all kid's game sound? I've run D&D (Rules Cyclopedia) for my daughters (ages 9 & 13) and their friends several times and things have gone well. I'll happily volunteer an afternoon of the con to run one there.

13. Druvas

Druvas Spellbinder

May I recommend Chateau D' Amberville? :twisted: No really, B1 with some softball encounters is probably better for the 'youngins'...

14. mcarthey

mcarthey Level 0 Character

It's been a couple of years since I've been involved with .. or should I say obsessing over ... the rules and the books, but if there's talk of running a game or two for kids I would be interested in helping out. I worked in a daycare for 4 years and attended college for 2 years working towards my elementary education certification (sadly had to quit due to the "free student teaching" requirement - work for free for 4 months?!! Sure!!)

15. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

I can run a "rules-light" adventure for up to 12 on Sun. AM for some interested kids.

I would not advise signing them up for CIRCVS MAXIMVS; that may get way too brutal for any tender youngsters (and the rules are pretty complex).

16. Dale

Dale Administrator

And the language harsh as we (okay, I) demand Luke's F*%$ing head on a pike pole!

:p

17. kaskoid

kaskoid Chevalier

If Luke is smart, he'll cut a deal with one or two other drivers and they'll drive as a team covering for each other. The fun part is you won't know who he's got on his pocket until you try to screw him.

I remember Melf as being above-middling in smarts...

18. Donal

Donal Administrator

Yeah, well, just you remember before you align yourself with Luke... the promises of cash and dancing girls are lies... all lies!

19. paul j. stormberg

paul j. stormberg Chevalier

Howdy All,

I have a Moldvay set Haunted Keep game I was planning to run at LGGC this year. I'd be happy to run that for the younger folks.

Let me know how many of you will have kids that will want to play and how many.

Futures Bright,

Paul

20. deogolf

deogolf Chevalier

I have an animal/anthropomorphic game called Wheat Hollow: The Harvesters that is geared toward the younger crowd as well. It's main inspiration was Brian Jacques' Redwall series of books. It was written with the AD&D/C&C rules system in mind. I have no problems running it if there is interest!