Table side menu question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reidzilla, Feb 23, 2016.

1. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Table Service was readily available in all areas that I ran and gamed in. Far superior to the previous location.

Poindexter and glamcrist like this.
  2. glamcrist

glamcrist Footpad

+1

3. Reidzilla

Reidzilla Level 0 Character

I was able to flag down one of the servers early on in the con and ask about gluten free options. They spoke with the chef and let me know they could safely accommodate making several items GF. I ordered from the table menu twice, the food was good, and there was no extra charge for the GF accommodation. The service was excellent as well.

The only thing I can say needs to be improved about the table menu is PLEASE add a salad option! The pub-style food was tasty but I need more fresh veggies in my diet on a daily basis. I am sure I am not alone in this.

4. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I thought tableside service was pretty good overall.

A few minor things:
    • They were a bit over-efficient at cleaning up sometimes. Once, I had to grab back the last few bites of my burger. Another time, I turned my back on my not even half-eaten chicken and unopened chips, and when I turned around again, they were gone.
    • Either at night or early morning, restock the tables with menu cards. They got scarce after a while.
    • Oh, also (surprised no one has mentioned yet) - I heard the late night pizza specials literally "ran out" very quickly.

Favorites:
    chicken sandwich and fries were very good, brownie was outstanding

How was the breakfast and the nachos? Didn't get to try either.

I'd like to get more vegetation while at the con, too. Although to be honest, a salad doesn't excite me very much. You get lettuce and tomato on sandwiches or in wraps, you can quickly grab salads at lots of places like the Burger King or Piggly Wiggly. What I'd really like is one of those paper boats with some nicely cooked vegetables in it - maybe green beans, corn, and carrots. Just cook up a mass of it and put a big serving spoonful of each in there.

Traxion and Reidzilla like this.
  5. brendar

brendar Staff Member Staff Member

A side of grilled veggies and salad were items that were discussed for table-side service and will be discussed again for next year. Also, the late-night pizza was a day-of negotiation and they were fairly unprepared. They had it squared away after the first night (though the kitchen was competing with the Safari Club banquet, so it started slow). Now that we have a very good example of a successful Gary Con with the Grand under our belt, they should be willing to re-engage on some points we didn't connect on earlier.

sir jon, Reidzilla and Tink333 like this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Level 0 Character

The table service was good, but they brought me a pepperoni pizza when I ordered cheese one time. An option for a vegetarian would be nice. I'd also suggest a grilled cheese sandwich. They are popular with kids, and can be made with bacon and tomato to appeal to adults.

7. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

There was a grilled cheese sandwich on the menu. It came with tomato. I was able to tailor the sandwich to have it without tomato. I did not inquiry about bacon though.

Tink333 likes this.
  8. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Dang it. I wanted to try the grilled cheese. It sounded really good. In all the excitement I forgot (plus, I'm not a hobbit, so I don't eat THAT many meals in a day)!

Tink333 likes this.
  9. Munzog

Munzog Level 0 Character

Amazing service I saw on several occasions young servers sprinting up the stairs with a full tray like a gazelle. I was impressed as I dragged my butt up the stairs. The servers all made several passes at the tables i played at. The GM service carts were rolling constantly as well thank you to those volunteers that kept our GMs snacking and hydrated.
    I tried the nachos cheese fries and the chicken wrap. All were good snack food. Overall it was great experience and an amazing location.

10. Rastus

Rastus Level 0 Character

Like so many others, I was impressed with the table service and the woman slinging beers upstairs. The server who looked a little like Sheldon apologized to me and my brother on Saturday for not remembering our names from the day before. The nerve!

dndgeek likes this.
  11. Add my vote for "a lot of veggies", whether salad or steamed veggie bowl or whatever. My colon will thank you.

Also, I would LOVE it if somehow it could be arranged for the servers to be able to bring BEER as well as food to the tables!

dndgeek and Reidzilla like this.
  12. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Table-side food was better this year (the fries were really good) and the service was outstanding. Some of my food was taken too early as well, but not a big deal at all. A few more options would be nice, though, especially some healthier stuff like a salad and things not smothered in cheese. Can't remember if there was a non-Buffalo chicken sandwich available or not, but if not, that would be great. Chicken sandwiches & salad are two staples in my diet, but I don't like anything smothered in Buffalo sauce except for wings.

13. Jon

Jon Level 0 Character

Paleo-friendly option would be good next year, something like sub-in-a-tub with lots of meat ... even if more expensive. Salads don't typically have enough food.

Reidzilla likes this.