Gary Con VIII Con Crud Butcher's Bill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by francisca, Mar 13, 2016.

1. francisca

francisca Troubadour

I missed 3 days of work. I know Melf was diagnosed with the flu.

Anyone else?

2. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Got home Tuesday, was off Wednesday and didn't really do much. Bailed from work early after finishing about 2/3 of my stuff Thursday. Managed to finish my day Friday. Probably shouldn't have worked either day, because I felt AWFUL. Still nowhere near 100%, but I'll be working Monday.

3. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Feel fine, luckily. :cool:

4. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Stick it up yer %^&*(*&.

5. DMPrata

DMPrata Level 0 Character

I muddled through Wednesday and Thursday. By Friday I needed cold meds and had to leave work early because I was seeing double. After a couple of good nights' sleep, I'm markedly improved.

6. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Level 0 Character

I could hear a steady stream of coughing from folks throughout the con. Luckily I was able to avoid the crudd. Maybe it was the single malt killing germs in the bloodstream.
    I hope everyone has recovered by now!

7. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Mostly.

8. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

It hit me full on Tuesday while I was working. I ended up leaving work for the first time in years the next day and I still have some congestion.

9. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

Went to work on Monday, thinking it was just fatigue; left about an hour early. Was then off for the next three days. Though I am lucky and can work form home in most cases, Tuesday and Wednesday I was just too sick - the low grade fever being enough to cause aches and chills that were insurmountable. Couple that with it hitting The Boy full force and a glancing shot at The Girl, and we were saved only by the awesome that is my wife.

10. grodog

grodog Troubadour

Ditto. That said, I was fairly sleep-deprived going into the con, so I've definitely enjoyed going to be earlier and sleeping in over the past several days.

I've felt human enough over the weekend to complete my con report (going live in a few minutes), and to dig into a lot of structural editing/notes for a new publishing project.

11. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

I felt fine when I arrived at the con, but started feeling a bit run down with less energy than usual. I think I was exposed to the crud, but sort of dodged it by taking a lot of naps and getting way more sleep than normal during the con. I played a lot fewer events this year, but that was a small price to pay to mostly avoid The Crud.

12. Rastus

Rastus Level 0 Character

I really have no idea if it actually works, but I use Airborne regularly before, during, and after all Cons. No crud for me this year or at GC VI (I missed VII, which was cruddy in a different way), nor any at the six Dragon Cons I've been to (which are much more taxing on the system than Gary Con). So that's my advice, take it or leave it!

13. booke63

booke63 Level 0 Character

I was sick cold/flu/crudd twice in 2 years. BOTH were just after Garycons. This year I avoided it. Whew! I was prepared with sanitizing wipes and gels and was prepared to be "that germophobe guy." But with the linen on the tables and no arms on the chairs, I didn't wipe anything down but did sanitize and wash my hands a lot. My doc last year told me he has trained himself to never touch his eyes/nose/mouth except consciously and deliberately when he knows his hands are clean. I'm doing pretty well with that nowadays too and at least use my shirt or tissue if I can't wash my hands. Do the linen covered tables inhibit germs transferring between people I wonder?

14. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Malort has been my saviour this year. Well, until this past Sunday when it crashed upon me like a tidal wave of misery and Trumphairballs. I rested yesterday and though not at 100%, got off easy comparitively. Last year was the worst!

15. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Started feeling sick on the way out on Monday, but thought it was a cold. Had to leave work early on Wednesday when I realized it was the flu. Could barely get out of bed for two days, but made it to work Friday and started feeling right again on Sunday.

Last year I felt sick when leaving as well and dealt with heavy congestion for a month, so this year was actually better.

I bought Airborne this year, but was so busy I didn't start taking it until halfway through the con. Probably doesn't protect against flu anyway, but I'll try again next year.