Gary Con IX Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JediSoth, Aug 15, 2016.

1. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

The time has come to fret over what games I'm going to run at Gary Con. I'm not going to run Paranoia this time because I'm getting a little tired of it (and coming up with new ideas every year is becoming increasingly hard since the sheer number of systems I'm interested in keeps increasing).

I do want to run Ghostbusters (the classic WEG version), though.
    (event description subject to change)

DGS Presents: Ghostbusters – A Haunting Lodge
    It’s not often you get a call that takes you out of the city. That call came in yesterday, when the developer in charge of renovating the William Coulton Lodge requested your help in investigating disturbances reported by work crews. So, you loaded up Ecto-1 and headed upstate. You ain’t afraid of no ghosts!
    (I will likely run two sessions of this: one starring the classic movie crew, the other starring the new lady Ghostbusters.)

I'm waffling between Hollow Earth Expedition or Star Wars.
    The Orichalcum Machine
    It started with disappearances. They seemed random at first, barely rating a mention in the news due to the relatively anonymous identity of the missing persons. Now, it has hit close to home as your mentor, Professor Langston has not been seen in several days. You know he was excited about a new discovery regarding his search for a passage to the world below, the Hollow Earth. Did he stumble across a secret someone wanted to keep silent? Did he actually find a way to reach the Hollow Earth? Is his disappearance related to the others happening across the city, or it is mere coincidence? Perhaps a visit to his office at the university will shed light on the matter…

A Hollow Earth Expedition adventure for anyone who likes to punch Nazis in the face while riding dinosaurs*.

* Actual dinosaur not included.

DGS Presents – Imperial Entanglements
    General Airen Cracken has been captured by the Empire. Your crack team of commandos has been assembled to conduct the rescue operation. You'll need to infiltrate the Star Destroyer Stormhammer, by using a stolen Imperial Shuttle. The catch? You haven't stolen the shuttle yet, but there's one ripe for the picking in Imperial garrison outside of Ramsees Hed.
    A Star Wars (d6 REUP) game. This is a revised and updated version of the adventure I ran at Gary Con V (2012).

I could run both, but I'm considering running some D&D 5E for the Adventurer's League this year and I'm not sure if I want to GM 5 slots. On the other hand, free drink & candy delivery is awfully tempting....

dndgeek likes this.
  2. Skip

Skip Administrator Staff Member

Hmmmm. . . .

I'm awfully fond on d6 Star Wars (played in a local campaign for years).

What rules for the Hollow Earth game? The set from Exile Game Studio?

3. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Yes, Ubiquity system. Works with any dice having an even number of sides (as you are only counting odds & evens to determine success).

4. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

I'm debating. The usual Cyberpunk 2020 game will run, but I want to do something different. Babylon 5, maybe?

JediSoth likes this.
  5. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Yes, please!

I'll be running:

Aliens (Leading edge miniatures game)
    Bram Stoker's Dracula (Leading Edge boardgame)
    Eaters of the Dead (Chainmail/OE D&D miniatures game)
    Red Death (Dungeons Deep RPG)

If I can get my crap together in time, I'll add a Flash Gordon miniatures game using Retro Raygun rules.

JediSoth likes this.
  6. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Doing my usual plus running more more than 1 did last year:

3 Qualifying heats for the Circus Maximus Final
    Circus Maximus Final
    Wreckus Maximus
    Moebius Maximus

And in deference to RobandJulieWhatsTheirFace I'll break from my tradition of starting my events at 8am and have a qualifying heat at 10am.

While I won't get a chance to capture my 3rd Circus Maximus Championship I will get to see some great racing, and you never know, Luscious Maximus might get a chance to race and win. :)

sir jon, JediSoth and OGRE MAGE like this.
  7. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

Yaaaaa!!!

Now we can drink beer at night, get up in time for a little breakfast, and STILL be able to play in gizmos Circus Maximus game.

Thanks Joe!!!!!!!

8. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Well, I have a typo in there. I will start at least one of the events at 10am. I think most of the rest will be at 8am. Although I still have time to change my mind :)

9. jonsnod

jonsnod Level 0 Character

I've run a few different games the the last few years, including Marvel Superheroes (TSR FASERIP rules); the last two years, the Marvel games have been the most popular. This year, I plan to run all Marvel: 3-4 sessions with different heroes from different eras (giant monsters in the 60s; Heroes for Hire in the 70s; West Coast Avengers in the 80s; Silver Sable International in the 90s).

10. Traxion

Traxion Footpad

I'll be doing Battletech Rugby/football/soccer again. Probably on Saturday afternoon.

JediSoth likes this.
  11. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Next year I plan to run a few events (below) using the Jeff Talanian's Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (AS&SH) rules/setting. We had fun in my Crystal Point events this past March, so I'm looking forward to March 2017. Days and times still TBD.

Crash at Corpse Creek - A strange object has fallen from the stars, crashing into the cold, haunted swamp of Corpse Creek. Several curious trappers from a nearby camp went to investigate, but none have returned. The remainder have hired your group to explore the site and find their friends, but they warn you that Corpse Creek teems with the living dead and that its giant bugs have awakened early from their winter freeze, including some strange varieties never seen before in Hyperborea. A site-based adventure for 4-6 player characters of levels 3-5.

Foolsgrave - Khromarium's mysterious spiraling towers of black gneiss predate the city itself, an ever-present reminder of how weird and alien things once ruled Hyperborea. During the Festival of Plutonia, a sombre commemoration of death, darkness and the all-consuming void, one such tower's impenetrable doors slowly creaked open, admitting anyone brave enough to descend into its depths. Many have entered, but few have returned - some with wealth overflowing, others simply mad, drooling and babbling. Locals now refer to the labyrinth as Foolsgrave. A megadungeon crawl for 4-6 player characters of levels 3-5.

The Strange Tale of Crystal Point - In the far reaches of Hyperborea's Crab Archipelago, lies a small, mountainous island known as Crystal Point. Passing sailors have recently seen a crimson glow in Crystal Point's waters, beams of reddish-brown light shining up from its steep cliffs and frequent lightning storms overhead. Ariston Thalassa, an Atlantean sage in Khromarium, Hyperborea's largest city, has heard these strange tales and approached your party with a promising explanation. He believes Crystal Point may hold the ruins of a lost Atlantean colony - and its secrets! Eager for adventure and treasure, you agreed to explore the island and, after a long journey, have finally set foot on its rocky beach. A site-based adventure for 4-6 player characters of levels 7-9.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    JediSoth likes this.
  12. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Ooh. I really like the Crash at Corpse Creek description.

13. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Thanks!

14. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

I'm so glad that GC2017 will be on a weekend that I'm not triple booked! I can come to my favorite con and have some fun!

I'm running 3 games out of my D&D/wargames campaign world "Dark Ages" this year. They will all affect the current status and story of the world.
    • Two RPG sessions geared to exploring places in my campaign world that no player has ever been to before. For the past two years, my players have seen the return of the Dark Ones - the evil beings who enslaved the Lands a millennia ago. Now, players will face a grave threat to the Kingdom of Men, Elves and Littlelings -- who will answer the call for adventure and glory in the face of the crushing might of the Lords of Chaos?
    • One wargame session, most likely using HOTT (Hordes of the Things) or Ral Partha's Chaos Wars rules. The forces of Chaos have arisen and taken hold in the East and West. Now, a new threat rises in the North. The war horns grow louder and closer as the armies of Woe march on civilization. Will the forces of Men and Elves be enough to turn the tide against the Orcs, Goblyns and traitorous men of Chaos? Or will a new age of enslavement to the might and power of Chaos be upon us?

• Sunday Morning Battletech/Mechwarrior. "Yea, I know... it sounds like a bunch of tinfoil-hat bullcrap. But let me tell you something... I was there when all those people died or turned into zombies on Poulsbo and that ancient Jump Ship disappeared. So don't tell me that having a giant sphere orbiting a planet and spitting out smaller orbs isn't bad news. Something happened, man... and the Houses... they know it! It's worse than anything we could imagine... and if I were you, I'd not take the contract to go investigate. You'll end up dead.. or worse!"

JediSoth likes this.