Event Registration 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by datagoblin67, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Skip

Skip Administrator Staff Member

I can't begin to imagine why you think that, but I've dropped lines to the GMs in question.

2. scottmaruna

scottmaruna Level 0 Character

My reason: When you look up events on Friday, event #188 is listed as starting at 4 PM and lasting 4 hours, but it is listed amongst the events that start at 5 PM and is listed as ending at 8:50 - the time that a four hour event would end if it started at 5, not 4 (as listed). Same situation for #426. Was just trying to help.

3. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Thanks, Skip.

By "main site" do you mean garycon.com or the GaryCon Facebook page ?

datagoblin67 likes this.
  4. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

If my wife and I both want to get into an event together, is it the luck of the draw, or can she get two tickets to an event so we can play together?

5. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

JediSoth - TTE restricted me to one ticket per badge per account for NTRPG Con games. Figuring it would be the same for GaryCon.

Melf and JediSoth like this.
  6. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

Right: it seems like the system won't let you have schedule conflicts, which two tix to the same event would certainly qualify for. Kind of frustrating in that you can't hedge your bets at all or, as you say, grab tix for friends. But there it is.

7. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Suck as it may, it does present a system that we know how it works and is unlikely to get overloaded (well, we'll see Jan 21st when the bulk of us register).

8. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

My plan to run so many games (what I submitted +D&D AL content) seems wise now. If I get into nothing I really want to play, at least I'll feel like I'm still gaming a LOT this weekend.

It would just be nice to have a mechanism to help spouses/families game together, but I get that that's really hard to accomplish and be fair while making it hard for people to game the system.

datagoblin67 and dndgeek like this.
  9. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Let me take this opportunity to make my annual pitch for not worrying if you don't get into all of the events you want. I did not register for any events last year (deliberately) and still had all the gaming I wanted. I did run one event per day, but the rest of my games were walk-ups to tables at game time. I could have easily gotten into additional great-looking events if I had not been running stuff myself. I'm hoping the open gaming area is better this year (the bands playing in the bar/lobby area last year were deafening whenever I considered trying to run something on the fly). I did see a lot of people doing open gaming despite the noise issues. Gary Con is exploding with good stuff to do if you look for it once you get there. And I'm not talking about events that look good if you are super-open to stuff and can have a good time no matter how bad the game is. I'm as picky of a jerk as the next guy.

Melf, Traxion, Poindexter and 2 others like this.
  10. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I'm aware. This is my 7th Gary Con.

I'll never be comfortable just walking up and asking if I can join a game. Being introverted sucks and no amount of people pushing to just not be will help.

11. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Ditto

Ha...ditto on both.

Tink333 and datagoblin67 like this.
  12. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Yeah, I get that. My comment really wasn't directed at you although I quoted you. You're a long-timer and then some. I definitely don't want you to feel like I'm pushing you to take uncomfortable steps. In the hiking community, there is a saying that goes "hike your own hike". The same sentiment applies here. Enjoy Gary Con however you enjoy it. It's all good.

For the less-introverted, there are lots of great opportunities to game without signing up for events in advance.

Tink333 and JediSoth like this.
  13. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

To misuse a quote:

"I take the game! I grab them! Take the seat and grab the game!"

14. Skip

Both, I hope.

datagoblin67 likes this.
  15. Skip

TTE will not allow anyone to purchase two tickets for events that occur at the same time; I'm pretty sure this feature would prevent you from placing two tickets to the same event into your cart.

Tink333 likes this.
  16. datagoblin67

datagoblin67 Level 0 Character

Hey Skip, thanks for taking the time address questions here on the forums. Not sure what your position is with the whole Garycon convention, but your efforts at untangling the impossible mess that is the yearly Garycon registration process is sincerely appreciated.

Melf and Poindexter like this.
  17. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I feel like this year, despite the hiccups, is going more smoothly than the last two years did. I know event registration hasn't actually happened yet, but still...

dndgeek, Tink333 and datagoblin67 like this.
  18. datagoblin67

datagoblin67 Level 0 Character

You are MUCH kinder in your wording than I have been describing this yearly fiasco with others. But, after enduring this for the past 5 Garycons, this is my last headache. The registration process has been handled so poorly over the years that its not worth bothering with again. Perusing the games list that are being offered (comparing OSR games to 5e events), my time and money are better spent focusing on Gamehole Con from now on. GH con has no headaches to offer and about the exact same game list, so its a better choice for me.

Garycon organizers need to seriously rethink their goals and more importantly, the process they go about putting this con together. If they want it to be an 'insiders' con, more like the North Texas one, then they should limit the number of tickets sold and stick to Facebook with their efforts.

However, the perception is they are trying to grow - and after 9 conventions, be more of a larger player in the OSR-con arena. If they dont streamline their process, cut out all the other venues in which they disseminate information and focus their efforts on a couple of well organized individuals to handle things, then this type of impromptu appearing mess will continue.

My advice -

Get your dates in order first. Display these on main website page. Keep it simple.

Focus on website as your point of presence and information source. Social media better used to redirect people to website when something new pops up.

Put a couple people you can rely on and have the time, energy and knowledge in charge of doing the above. Updating a webpage with a few dates or some pertinent information is easy these days, about the same effort as a post on Facebook.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    Scott308 and JediSoth like this.
  19. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

And yet, we still go. Hardcore.

Melf and Buttmonkey like this.
  20. Tink333

Tink333 Footpad

Skip, thanks!

As a follow-up, my badge registers a few days before JediSoth's, so if we actually don't end up in the games we want to play together, will I be able to return those events to free them for someone else?

Melf likes this.