Legends of Wargaming: Special Notice!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paul j. stormberg, Jan 14, 2017.

1. paul j. stormberg

paul j. stormberg Chevalier

Howdy All,

I would like to make special mention of two events added to the GaryCon IX catalog of events that will hopefully be run at a special location in Lake Geneva, tied to the history of GenCon:

1974 GenCon VII D&D Demo Game: Greyhawk Castle Level! Wow! The first ever Dungeons & Dragons adventure run at GenCon VII in 1974! This dungeon adventure was originally created by Rob Kuntz for use in the original Greyhawk Castle in 1974! However, Rob Kuntz later used this dungeon to run the first ever demo games of Dungeons & Dragons at GenCon. GaryCon VIP Tim Kask reminisces about participating in the adventure, exclaiming, "Hell Yes! I was hooked."

1975 GenCon VIII D&D Tournament: Sunken City! A chance to play in the first ever Dungeons & Dragons tournament run at GenCon VIII in 1975! This dungeon adventure was originally created by Rob Kuntz for use in his World of Kalibruhn campaign in 1975! However, Rob Kuntz, as Convention Chairman, later used this adventure to run the first ever tournament game of Dungeons & Dragons at GenCon.

The original maps used for these adventures are found on the the El Raja Key Archive, recently released by Rob Kuntz through TLB Games (www.TLBgames.com) and the keys have been recreated by Rob.

The Archive is an interactive, searchable, fully indexed, virtual museum of roleplaying game artifacts from the dawn of the Dungeons & Dragons game! It includes maps & some keys for Rob's Castle El Raja Key, the dungeons where Gary Gygax cut his teeth as Mordenkainen; Rob's manuscript for his lost Dungeons & Dragons Supplement V: Kalibruhn; and maps, keys, and notes for over 40 adventures from the Original Greyhawk and Kalibruhn Campaigns including 16 of Rob's Original Greyhawk Castle levels!

[​IMG]

Futures Bright,

Paul

2. Navar

Navar Level 0 Character

Hey Paul,

Thanks for all you, Kevin, & the rest of your GMs do to run these events. These events are a special part of GaryCon.

The 1974 & 1975 events both mention the following:

"This event is part of the 50th Anniversary of GenCon and will be followed by a reception and recreation of the gaming areas as they might have looked during GenCon I and those early days of the convention."

Is the reception also at the Horticultural Hall? & at what time?

Thanks,

Shiv

3. paul j. stormberg

paul j. stormberg Chevalier

Howdy Shiv,

Thanks Shiv. It is really rewarding to connect all of the grognards and these old games with the younger crowd.

All of that will be announced by the host of this event and the '74 and '75 D&D events may or may not take place there but will take place at a locale in Lake Geneva, historically significant to GenCon.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. mark

mark Spellbinder

My first GenCon was that last one at the Horticultural Hall and now I live just a couple blocks from it and manage the game store in town. Although I will be at Gary Con, as usual, I hope folks stop in the store for a visit, see the expansion and renovations since last year, and get a short video of themselves emerging from the "secret door." :)

PBurke and Handy Haversack like this.