GaryCon IX (2017) Results and Developments

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mordrin, Mar 27, 2017.

1. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

For those who couldn't be there and those who can't be everywhere at once - what events of general interest occurred?

Awards, product announcements/release, GC Open winners, Joust winner, other tournaments, marriage proposals, and such.

2. mordrin

• Tim Kask received the EGG Lifetime Achievement award.
    • Frank Mentzer stepped down as the main auctioneer, passing the gavel (literally, for the trivial sum of $300) to Jim Kitchen. Frank remained in an Emeritus role.
    • The Event Guide announced GC is contracted with Grand Geneva through 2019 and looking to extend beyond that.
    • Dates of March 8-11, 2018 for GC X were announced.

I think that's all I know.
    What have you got?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

• Frankenparty 4 was a blast. Special guest chef of Jason Bulmahn and his Wands of Porkus.
    • A number of interviews were taped by Patrick Kilbane.
    • Duck made an apperance.
    • Heard the top bid in the auction was $2K with several in the $500 range.
    • Black Knight was defeated in the Joust finale.

4. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

• Seventy people screamed at the same time in Evergreen 1 around 10:30pm on Saturday night. Damn shriekers.

Ancalagon likes this.
  5. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

The Tournament Open had two new DMs and one new team winning.

Running 30 hours of gaming will not kill you, but will severely impede sleep.

Bruno's Liquors loves GaryCon.

MOVIE BUFF can sometimes cause friction - "Mel Brooks' movies aren't funny." ??

6. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

The Circus Maximus finals were violent and entertaining. We had a repeat champion. Last year's champion pretty much got screwed over from the start of the race to her timely death (often by me!).

ekimus likes this.
  7. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

We went from running one table of Adventurer's League with yours truly as the only DM (GC VII) to Saturday night's event this year where we sold out 18 tables of 7 players each.

8. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

And kudos to everyone who helped run the AL room. Everything there was great!

Scott308 likes this.
  9. mordrin

Jarlaxle likes this.
  10. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Level 0 Character

That was serious crowd-handling mastery by the DM at the end table. Three times he had made individual screams throughout the evening. He got his table screaming all together, and those of us at the surrounding tables joined in. He then boomed out something about how "the screaming surrounds you from the woods" and went back to running his game. Slow clap for that guy. Way to play the whole room!

11. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Level 0 Character

The Immaculate "G" thought it was pretty cool.

12. chgowiz

chgowiz Footpad

I think he was screaming a bit later, what with that damn immortal wild human and all.... ;)

13. Ancalagon

Ancalagon Level 0 Character

He was a slippery little bastard with all the 2s, 3s, and 4s I kept rolling to hit him!

14. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour