Suggestions for Gary Con X

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buttmonkey, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Hmm...what about ONE oversized table designated for...well, stuff that needs an oversized table?

2. gmbarry

gmbarry Footpad

Ok, I ran 32 hours at GC8, unable to attend GC9 and will be attending GC10... I will buy a gold badge as soon as they are released.

I only had a very limited time to use the GP... I did not use my SP except a few.. less than 4 and had to skip out on 2 (signed up for) games because I needed the down time. I ran all my events listed and attempted to leave time to play in a few key events I wanted..
    Because of the registration issues... I missed out on 2 games I very much wanted (had a ticket for one and it was oversold) by that time that was corrected.. my choices were very limited in what I could get into...

Now, looking at what I think I am running I will most likely cut down the games and game systems I am running. I have to make hard choices in order to expand what I can play in.. especially since getting into gold games I want seems to be where my priority is at.

3. Traxion

Traxion Footpad

Hearing this is why I suggested proven GM's get priority choice at registration time.

4. gmbarry

gmbarry Footpad

Maybe not a priority choice but make it a high number like 28 hours of games or more and get one selection (not including the celebrity game or other vip games) for GM' that have proven their commitment. If there is someones game we want to play in, they usually post their time slots before they submit so we can make adjustments.

I love to run games, so take what I say with a grain of salt, I still may run tons of games. I am NOT saying if this does not happen, I will only run a few games.. I may still run 30+ hours, forego the playing and not use any GP or SP (it's a suggestion, not an demand)

5. Vicdakota

Vicdakota Level 0 Character

First time at Garycon myself this year and here are some suggestions from my perspective.

1) Better outdoor signage to direct people to the registration desk

2) Better registration process, It seamed a little hap hazard

3) Better of the swag benefits at registration.

4) Grouping of games by room ( AD&D ) in one room Warhammer in another, D&D 5 in yet another. Games with minimal attraction should be lumped together and open tables should be there for impromptu games.

5) additional Table rules that should be added.
    a) 15 minute rule. If your a registered gamer and dont make it within 15 minutes of the official start of the game another non registered gamer should be able to take your place. Non registered gamer meaning someone who has not signed up for the game.
    b) Dm's need printed list of gamers that registered for the game at their tables to cross check
    c) Dm's need replacement slips for the gamers who have not registered for the game but participate with the gamers unique identifying number.
    d) loud players should be given a warning, I sat at a table across from another and a guy was shouting everything his character was doing. We had to stop our game ever time he got to boisterous.

6) table services need to be increased, there comes a point when paying to much for food & Drink will drive others to start bringing their own a balance needs to be made. ( Coupons ? )

7) Auction - I loved the auction but each item needs a unique identifier number so you get the items you won and for easier checkout. It also needs a bigger venue.

Other then that i really enjoyed the convention and hope to continue to go for many years in the future.

Melf and Poindexter like this.
  6. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

What do you mean by this? Better swag? I see swag as a bonus that I would never complain about, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Games are already grouped together by type and, I believe, by general age (for example, the 5e stuff was mostly together in one spot, if I heard correctly). Tables were available for open gaming, but as some folks have mentioned already, they could maybe be identified better (and perhaps not available for demo game squatting).

This is already the case, except the time frame is 10 minutes.

DMs already get lists of everyone signed up for their games with their registration packet. Distributing them to tables every hour would require a bunch more volunteers.

I believe tickets are just backups to the DM sheets. If a player doesn't have his/her ticket, the DM still has their name on their sheet.

If you're saying table service should visit more often, their are varying stories of too much/too little service in different areas/times of the convention, with some staff that is either new or new to the convention style. The con is giving the hotel feedback on that for next year and if you need service in-between server visits, there is a number to call to request a server. In regard to price, the more we purchase each year, the better the deals get the next year. It's a resort hotel, though, so I wouldn't expect Taco Bell prices.

Poindexter, jim skach and mwisconsin like this.
  7. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

"Games with minimal attraction should be lumped together".

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I feel like someone got insulted.

8. Vicdakota

it should have said better swag description ...... i should have done a little editing ....

Yes i saw some demo game squating maybe that should be moved to a separate room OR Garycon can charge a modest fee for use of a table to demo just like they do exhibitors & merchants

maybe it should be required the Dm's pick up their packet 20 minutes before game play ........ just a idea. I attended a game where people had squatted before the 10 minutes were up for the registered players to get to the table

I was never given a number to call for service, and when service happened it was sporadic or non existent .

9. Vicdakota

Sorry if you feel slighted by this but it is GARYCON ! Which should focus on the Games GARY had a hand in creating !

10. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

For me swag is a bonus. I get the bag, take out the things I know I would like and then pass the remainder on to folks that appreciate and use the rest.

When I picked up my badge, the sheets for each game I ran was included in the package. All the DM had to do is have people print their name on the sheet if they were not already listed. If they were listed just have the people initial/sign the sheet next to their name.

The games I saw were well grouped together.

The service was better this year and I expect will be even better next year. The games I participate in are mainly in the boardrooms, Legends of Wargaming room or the Maple Lawn rooms where the dealers hall was in 2016.

Already made my opinion know on people squatting on open gaming tables.

At a registered event, if people squat, just speak up. I had to do this a couple of years ago in order to shame them into moving to let people with tickets sit down. The DM should also help do this.

No comment on the auction, since I missed it this year due to playing in a Legends of Wargaming event Saturday afternoon. As long as the auction is in the middle of Saturday afternoon I will end up missing it.

11. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

The speeds at which games Gary did not have a direct hand in creating sell out belies the belief that they have "minimal attraction." Gary's creation spurred an entire INDUSTRY and this convention is supposed to be a celebration of good gaming in general, not just of D&D, Dangerous Journeys, and Lejendary Adventures.

The logistics behind having GMs pick up updated packets for their games 20 minutes prior is mind-boggling. Not only would the GMs have to make sure they had NOTHING scheduled prior to a game they're running (it's a rare event that is schedule to end 30 minutes before the next one you're in), but the volunteers would have to constantly be checking and printing each game's roster on a continual basis. Once the convention starts, if someone isn't going to show up for a game, they rarely go to HQ and have themselves removed from the roster anyway. I don't even think you could do it on the registration website at that point.

Melf and Scott308 like this.
  12. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

Things I wanted this year, that didn't happen. This is also a list of things I'm actively assisting getting enabled for next year:
    • Registration open for hours prior to the first event running.
    • The ability to acquire tickets online publicized better (it was a thing you could do, this year, but people didn't realize it), and the ability for DMs to get an up-to-the-minute player roster online publicized better (once again, a thing you could do).
    • A training video and/or conference call for DMs. This would walk them through the mobile interface for TTE, and show off how to collect and document "check ins" at their event electronically.
    • A live floor map of the convention. I built a prototype of this for the D&D room, and I'm working with the developer of tabletop.events to see if this live map can be expanded to all rooms. The intent is for someone to walk around the convention looking for open tables as if they were using Google Maps.

Scott M., SoulCatcher78, Melf and 3 others like this.
  13. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Tell that to the 5e guys.

Melf, Traxion and jim skach like this.
  14. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Free beer

Handy Haversack and Scott308 like this.
  15. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

Yeah, the phone number was not advertised well, but they said they're going to make it much more prevalent next year, such as including it right on the menus that were on every table.

Jarlaxle and Buttmonkey like this.
  16. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Cool. Cool. Can't wait to see the choice in electronic device place on each table for the GMs to use.

17. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

If I'd said something like "we're mandating the use of electronic check-ins", then I could understand your reaction better.

Jarlaxle and dndgeek like this.
  18. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

One thing I do recall: cell service-especially 3G/4G data-in the building-especially the lower levels-was, at best, spotty, and only guests at the resort could use the wifi...that might be an issue.

19. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Thank you for the clarification. Data service was very spotty the last two years and figure that papercopy of registerees is the way to continue to go.

20. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

What about trying to get the hotel's wifi for all Garycon attendees?