my first con

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taliesian, May 25, 2017.

1. Taliesian

Taliesian Level 0 Character

I am delighted to be going to Gary Con, this being my first con what all do you guys bring? Dice and pencils for sure...what about books? looking for input as I want to make sure I bring enough gear but don't want to bring a rolling cart for books :)

2. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

A core rulebook for reference can be helpful.

(If you're talking AD&D, for example, just the PHB is plenty)

3. mordrin

I also bring some blank paper, a container with a variety of various pills, and travel kleenex.
    Some cash (which may sound funny to some, but the other 360+ days of the year, I generally don't ever touch or carry any - so it's a special thing to remember for me).
    Backpack for carrying stuff.

4. mordrin

If you're into getting stuff signed by creators, you may want to bring some of that.

5. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Phone charger.
    Cash-not all vendors can take cards.
    I use a small Sterilite tote for my stuff-it also usually holds bottles of water.
    Comfortable shoes!

6. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

No rolling cart? Pish posh...

Melf and Poindexter like this.
  7. glamcrist

glamcrist Footpad

Maybe the OP isn't a GM. In that case going without a cart is at least possible...

8. Taliesian

Taliesian Level 0 Character

I do DM, but I will not be running any games at the con.

9. gmbarry

gmbarry Footpad

Bring Dice, reference books if needed... I always pack an extra for players use when I run. Pencils, note pads...
    Most GMs will provide... if it says bring your own character.. bring 2 with you for that game. snack and water bottles

Melf likes this.
  10. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

It's like...humor has died...

sir jon likes this.
  11. glamcrist

glamcrist Footpad

Was my playing the "Straight Man" too understated?

jim skach likes this.
  12. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

mordrin and gmbarry gave you solid advice. I would say that it never hurts to bring water, snacks and the stuff you want to get signed. Almost everyone is very approachable and welcoming at Gary Con- other than some grumpy old grognards, like Jim and Rich ;) Other than that bring an open mind and try some new systems along with your favorites. Thanks for coming and celebrating with us.

Luke

13. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Hand sanitizer (the con had containers placed at key locations this year, but I like to have a bottle with me at all times). Con crud is not your friend.
    Graph paper.
    A pad of lined paper and a clipboard.
    Pen, pencil, eraser.
    Dice.
    The rulebook for whatever event(s) you will be playing before your next pit stop at your room/car.
    A mini just in case (I usually lug around one of those mini-Cthulhus that have been on sale in the vendor area the last couple years. They are small, light, and cool. Perfect in case I need a mini in an event.)
    Beverage (don't forget to patronize the con and purchases beverages from the hotel when possible).

My list for GMing is much more extensive.

14. glamcrist

glamcrist Footpad

Good list!
    I'll add that I usually bring a satchel to carry this stuff.
    Also, if you don't have a rulebook for the system you'll be playing, the GM should be able to get you by without it.

15. SoulCatcher78

SoulCatcher78 Level 0 Character

Portable power source (I.e. Battery not charger). Put one of these in your kit for an additional 12 to 48 hours of juice. You may not be able to plug in somewhere. If signal is as bad as I keep seeing on this forum your phone will go dead faster then normal.

16. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Should have hotel wifi.

17. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Don't forget a flask, a stein, and a wench or two to entertain the table.

emBARK likes this.