Getting to Garycon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarlaxle, May 4, 2017.

1. Kent Taylor

Kent Taylor Level 0 Character

I'll be flying in from Japan (driving's probably out of the question;)) early afternoon on Wednesday. I bought my badge and got the hotel reservations. Of course it's way early yet, but I'm tentatively planning on getting one of those limo services from Chicago to Lake Geneva. A bit expensive, especially for only 1 person, but I know how I'll feel on arrival (I always hate to get a rental car and drive on the day that I arrive in the U.S. from Japan) and, anyway, all the fees from rental cars makes it almost the same price and much less hassle. I figure if I want to go into town I can probably bum a ride off somebody or get a taxi or something but I'll probably be happy to just stay at the resort.
    It'll be my first Con (well, I did manage to go to Gen Con around 20 years ago but I got a bad case of ConCrud and only managed 1 full day), my first time to Wisconsin and first time to Chicago even, so should be pretty interesting.

jonsnod and emBARK like this.
  2. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Ohh Kent. You're in for it.

3. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Uber is probably cheaper.

4. rickwins

rickwins Level 0 Character

I have not left the resort until Sunday afternoon in the last 2 years, so you will probably be fine.

5. emBARK

emBARK Level 0 Character

Once I get my flight nailed down, most likely sooner rather than later, I wouldn't necessarily be against letting someone ride from Chicago with me. I will most likely be arriving at O'Hare on Thursday, 3/8 at 0642 or 0804, just because I like being early it'll probably be the 0642 arrival lol so I can be in Lake Geneva by 0830 at the latest.

6. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Renting a car at O'Hare?

7. emBARK

emBARK Level 0 Character

8. bighara

bighara Chevalier

Flying in from DC. Just booked my flights and room reserved before I left last time. I need to find out if my roomie has already rented a car though.

9. 90% percent certain I will be driving from Cutler Bay Florida. My wife and I don't really like to fly.

10. Scott M.

Scott M. Footpad

Am arriving to MKE around noon on Wednesday if anyone has a rental car or wants to carpool to reduce costs.

11. Spaztian

Spaztian Level 0 Character

I will be arriving at Midway around 9am on Thursday. Considering renting a car, but if anyone has any other ideas, I am listening!

12. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

There's a good chance we'll be arriving around the same time: 3-5 of us. We could split a shuttle if the timing works out.

13. Scott M.

Scott M. Footpad

Excellent! I'll PM you my contact info.

14. Kent Taylor

Kent Taylor Level 0 Character

OK, so I've got my flight lined up (3/7, 4:10pm at Midway). I'm looking into getting from the Midway airport to Lake Geneva-don't want to rent a car and drive. I'm looking at Limo Chicago or StretchLimo Chicago. Anybody have experience with either of these? Any advice? Probably going there might be difficult but for the return I will use the same service and go to O'Hare for a 1pm international flight, if anyone wants to share.

15. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Might be worth looking into Uber or Lyft, also.

16. emBARK

emBARK Level 0 Character

My stuff is booked, I'm getting into O'Hare Thursday at 9:02 pm and depart Sunday at 4:45 pm. If those times work with anyone else let me know as I'd be up for possibly splitting something to lower costs.