GCXI Changes & Improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dndgeek, Mar 28, 2018.

1. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

List your ideas for changes to the con for GCXI here.

Is it possible to schedule a game without the first and/or final hour of the event affecting players' schedules? I ask because I run a lot of miniature games, which take me awhile to setup and cleanup. If I add time to the beginning or end of my slots for this, players are locked out of signing up for games that start or end at those times. If I don't add time, I have to cleanup at breakneck speed, which is no fun after just setting up and running a game for several hours and because I then have to repack all of my stuff once I get it back to my room. Would it be possible to add checkboxes to the event submission form to request additional time before or after? If possible, it would be nice to keep it all behind the scenes and not include the extra time in the event listing, so players don’t have to figure anything out. If there’s an easier solution that I’m not thinking of, please feel free to enlighten me.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Handy Haversack and Jarlaxle like this.
  2. gmbarry

gmbarry Footpad

having a Desk in the Forums and someone stationed there with a a board for Open and current full games. Someone who can also answer questions related to the forums and games there

Also, listing open tables by time slots so people can play on them during time slots with taking another table would be good

Map outside each section in the Forums or a table range per section

3. Blake Racich

Blake Racich Level 0 Character

Couple of 'thinking out loud' ideas. Not the 'end of the world' stuff.....just some ideas.

1. It would be nice to have the DM's contact info after you sign up for a game. Maybe it doesn't matter for the AL stuff, but I had some questions about 'preparation' that I wanted to clarify with the DM on some of the other games I was attending. Not the end of the world, but it might be nice to have.

2. Having GC staff / volunteers having more of a presence in the Forums. Per @gmbarry above, having the sections mapped out with the table range would help.

3. The food service was basically 'broken' in the Forums on Thursday with little to no wait staff. I believe from other comments that I've read is that the Grand Geneva needs to step it up in regards to overall staffing. Need more bartenders, wait staff, etc.

4. There was 'grab and go' food in the main area of the lobby especially in the AM. What about having 'grab and go' sandwiches / chips, etc., whether in the forum or upstairs outside of the Evergreen ballroom. I dug the tableside service, and from what I used it worked well. I'm just wondering if it would alleviate some of the pressure on the kitchen if they pre-made some sandwiches, wraps, etc. that didn't require orders to be placed with the kitchen.

5. Larger font on the table cards. Cards were hard to read from afar and you needed to approach the table(s) to read them.

I'll update as I think of more.

I had a GREAT time and I would think that some subtle tweaks would make things even better.

Is it GC XI yet?

Melf, Jarlaxle and mwisconsin like this.
  4. mwisconsin

mwisconsin Administrator Staff Member

I hesitate to agree with this only in that it reveals that I'm getting older and that my eyesight isn't what it once was.

Tink333, SoulCatcher78 and dndgeek like this.
  5. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Cancellation board.

Melf and diaglo like this.
  6. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Time stop spell. It ends too quickly.

7. glamcrist

glamcrist Footpad

My 2 cents:
    As a GM, it would be nice if we could stay at one table, or at least at one end of the grounds, when we have events back-to-back. it's one thing as a player to go from the Forum to the main Con, or vice-versa, and another as a GM with tear-down and set-up times. I only made it for mine because my morning session ended early. I know with so many events space is tight and this wouldn't be something that could be maintained perfectly, but it would be nice to know that the attempt is being made.

Melf and Jarlaxle like this.
  8. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

They do strive to do that, but aren't always successful. I had back-to-back games in different locations, so I asked about it and they apologized for missing that fact and moved me. If it happens again, just ask as early as you can, when table scheduling isn't locked down yet.

9. Handy Haversack

Handy Haversack Chevalier

I'll just reiterate that I think GC should incentivize new-player participation in the LOW events by not making them Featured and by providing some support materials in advance: rules for older games, play videos, tutorials, whathaveyou.

Also: move the organized play (AL and PFS) stuff to the Forum and the old-skool games back out of the shadow.

10. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

As much as it pains me to say, Handy Haversack is a pain...I mean right, Handy is right.

Handy Haversack and booke63 like this.
  11. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

What's a LOW event?

12. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Legends of Wargaming - series of events from the mid-60's to mid-70's that were part of the historical development of gaming. They are on the schedule each year at GaryCon.

13. glamcrist

glamcrist Footpad

Great idea!

From what I've seen, the majority of organized play GMs don't appear to GM anything else, so they might be lass likely to require lengthy and encumbered treks.

Jarlaxle likes this.
  14. mwisconsin

You may have reached that conclusion anecdotally, but I can tell you that's not the case. AL DMs and players account for a particularly large % of events and players at the convention, and they play and DM in a wide variety of games and venues. I know, because I'm the one that organizes them. This year we had 470+ AL-related events, with an epic all-table event once a night.

Plus, for 2 years we lived in the basement, and both years the ceiling erupted and leaked water into the room. I typically end up being housed at the other end of the resort, and our DMs typically end up staying at the Comfort. So, we're already working through an encumbered trek.

JediSoth likes this.
  15. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Tom, tell me you don't think the Forums are a better fit for the AL or other "organized play" groups. It's massive, well lit, has plenty of standing/waiting room for those getting into the area and not blocking stairs or halls from other patrons... with the expansion of the con, the Forums are where your people should be.

Buttmonkey likes this.
  16. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Agreed. I think it is also LARGER than the Evergreen rooms where they were this year. (Or was that Pathfinder Society?)

17. mwisconsin

We were in the Evergreen rooms 1&2. The size accommodated us perfectly. If we outgrow that in a few years, we'll need to find a different place. But I think we can all agree that's a great problem to have, yes?

JediSoth likes this.
  18. EOTB

EOTB Level 0 Character

I agree - I think the AL events should go to the forums.

19. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

So in lieu of moving AL to the Forum side, where they have their own entrance, food service station, bathrooms, enough gaming space to handle years of further expansion, and can be as loud as they want to be (particularly if it's a repeat of 2017 Gamehole), it's better to keep them smack dab in the middle of the hotel to distract other gamers with how crazy loud they routinely get, not to mention forcing all of the non-AL gamers to run from the Forum to the other gaming rooms in order to make the different games they play in or run?

I'm not sure why you're against what clearly is a win/win for both AL and the OSR crowd.

Poindexter, dndgeek and sir jon like this.
  20. DMtrev

DMtrev Level 0 Character

I had an easier time hearing my DM in the Forum than I did at GC IX in Evergreen. The people who fought with swords were a distraction in forum C, but my games in forum AB were great!

The atmosphere isn't as nice in the Forum, but being able to hear is nice.

scottmaruna and SoulCatcher78 like this.