Gary Con Legends Tournament: Discovery of the Unknown!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paul j. stormberg, Jan 15, 2019.

1. paul j. stormberg

paul j. stormberg Chevalier

Hey All,

The Collector's Trove and Gary Con would like to announce this year's Gary Con Legends Tournament:​

Discovery of the Unknown! by Mike Carr and Paul Stormberg

[​IMG]

If you have ever wished you could go back in time and play in one of those early classic tournaments now is your chance!​

For those who have never played a tournament, they are open to anyone who knows how to play Dungeons & Dragons (edition really doesn't matter). You play like any other roleplaying game with the added excitement of seeing which adventuring group accomplishes the most and is the best team in play. You could even win a free silver badge to next year's Gary Con!

This will be the 2nd year for the Gary Con Legends Tournament, an annual single-round tournament inspired by legendary tournaments of the past. Each year we will create an all-new adventure that revisits or continues the adventure of an original classic tournament. The same ones that became the legendary TSR adventure modules we know and love. Each new tournament will be designed and even DMed by the TSR themselves!

Last year over 60 gamers signed-up and another dozen were on standby! Last year was so successful, we have expanded to allow for 90 players!

This year marks the 40th Anniversary of Mike Carr's legendary B1 In Search of the Unknown adventure used as the introductory module in the Holmes, 1978 Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set. In recognition, this year's Gary Con Legends Tournament will be: Discovery of the Unknown! An all new adventure by Mike Carr and Paul Stormberg! This adventure invites players explore a new mystery and solve it if they can.

This single round tournament will span a four-hour slot. Dungeon Masters for the tournament will feature a number of Gary Con veterans including Zeb Cook, Harold Johnson, Jeff Leason, Allen Hammack, and Steve Winter! While dungeon master assignment is random, this is a standard, non-featured event and you could end up in a game with one of your favorite TSR designers!

Teams will consist of nine players and will be formed online, complete with pre-generated character sheets, so that when you arrive for your time-slot you and your team will be ready to adventure! Teams will also be formed at a pre-tournament briefing an hour before the slot begins. You could sign-up with a couple of friends or join some other Gary Con attendees and make new friends! Requests to be with other players on the same team will be handled via email after registration.

The players of the top scoring team will receive free Silver Badges (or an equivalent credit towards higher badges) to next year's Gary Con!

2. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

awesome. it was a blast to play in Gary Con X.

paul j. stormberg likes this.
  3. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

Looking forward to defending our crown!

Poindexter and paul j. stormberg like this.
  4. paul j. stormberg

BTW what does you badge say on it?

Mitch the Bard likes this.
  5. Mitch the Bard

Mitch the Bard Level 0 Character

I was on the winning team and mine says:
    Title / Group > [private] Legends Tournament Reigning Champion

6. Mitch the Bard

BTW, not sure how this would be possible, but...are members of the winning team from X automatically enrolled for this year or is it a 'see if you can get in it' just like everyone else? Thanks

7. paul j. stormberg

Howdy Mitch,

There are 90 slots this year, so it should not be an issue but I will see if we can prioritize the winning team. The problem being is the entire team from last year is not able to attend.

I will ask the powers that be...

Futures Bright,

Paul

8. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

Ditto.

9. Mitch the Bard

What a gorgeous image (above) by Darlene - I really like her new delve into computer-aided art. Any chance this image could be used to make a Legends Tournament T-shirt? (I'd pay for that)

10. paul j. stormberg

Howdy Mitch,

It is in the works!

Futures Bright,

Paul