Event Descriptions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Josrian, Jan 27, 2019.

1. The Josrian

The Josrian Level 0 Character

Ok... so for the last couple years I have been mildly annoyed by the event descriptions that somehow automatically turn on "Word Wrap" when I pull the exported CSV from the events list into Excel (you know... you'll be scrolling through the CSV file with everything in the tidy little rows, and suddenly there's a row that takes up most of the screen).

Only a mild annoyance and easy to reformat... I wouldn't even bother to mention it, except, somehow I am one of the culprits :p

Does anyone have an idea of what triggers that so I can avoid annoying myself (and potentially others, of course) next year? This is my first year submitting events, so I'm not sure if there are some tricks of the trade that I just don't know.

2. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Highlight the whole sheet by right clicking left corner above cell A1. Move cursor down and right click on a row and set height to 15. This will cause all rows to remain a constant height.

3. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I create a web app based on the event catalog (downloaded via the api and not the csv file but I don't think there is any material difference) and it has a way crazy filter system in it (that can be saved).

http://gizmomathboy.com/

u: gary
    p: gygax

I refresh the database about once a week so it might have the freshest data with regards to events, seats free, and the like but I like it.

Poindexter and The Josrian like this.
  4. The Josrian

The Josrian Level 0 Character

Thank you both! I'll take a look at what you built there, gizmo.

I'm not so much concerned with looking at the file (select all and turn off word-wrap is my approach, though stahlnee's probably requires fewer clicks)... I was just curious if there was a known cause (so I could avoid it in the future).

I decided I should get off my duff and investigate it if it bothers me. As far as I can tell, it's an Excel thing (shows up after sorting), and seems to be triggered by having multiple newline (return) characters in the description. There's always a newline at the end, but if there's another newline somewhere in the interior of the description, Excel seems to automatically turn on word-wrap.

And now you know.

Poindexter likes this.