Looking for tips on getting most out of my first Gary Con

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JasonM, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Aaron Wilbers

Aaron Wilbers Level 0 Character

So Frank just has random GaryCon visitors swing by his house?

2. gmbarry

gmbarry Footpad

Yes, very cool and the food is amazing...

He just asks for a head count and a small donation

3. Aaron Wilbers

I'm hoping to get in Frank's game Thursday and I'd be happy to throw in a donation if he does that this year and I can go.

And that is so very cool of him. Wish I still had the old Red Box to get him to sign.

4. JasonM

JasonM Level 0 Character

Just did up my schedule and I didn't choose any featured events. Should I feel like I'm missing a vital con experience here?

5. gmbarry

gmbarry Footpad

Not if you got what you want... The features are just added bonus

Melf, JasonM, SoulCatcher78 and 2 others like this.
  6. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Pick what appeals to you.

I didn't choose any this year, either.

7. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

This will be my 11th GaryCon. There have been many years where I played in NO featured events. Don't concern yourself with the titles, just the good games, the good people and the overall experience of the con itself.

Melf, SoulCatcher78, JasonM and 3 others like this.
  8. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

What Jon said. Some of the best events you can play in are not featured events.

Melf, JasonM, sir jon and 2 others like this.
  9. jim skach

jim skach Troubadour

Some of the best games I've ever played in at any GaryCon were not even on the grid....not planned...

JasonM likes this.
  10. Aaron Wilbers

I got my one FE, OD&D with Frank Mentzer, but man did I want to get in one of the Chainmail events. Did get a 7 hour marathon Battlesystem 2e game so hopefully that is a lot of fun. So far looks like it should be a fun 4 day weekend. Going solo so hopefully I run into a lot of cool people. Quick question, I know there is a bar there in the hotel but can you drink a beer with your game in other sections? At the other con I've been to there was a fair bit of beer drinking in most games though no drunks thankfully.

JasonM likes this.
  11. mordrin

I know the site rule is no outside alcohol in convention space. I'm not sure about taking it from the bar. I think that's ok, but not 100%.

Don't forget that some events don't sell out and you can walk up onsite.

Also, another pro tip: often (no guarantees) they have a special period a couple weeks before the con where you can sign up for 1-2 "extra" Featured Events, if it isn't sold out yet. Watch the forum and the GaryCon home page News for alerts.

Aaron Wilbers likes this.
  12. Aaron Wilbers

Thanks for the tips and I'll keep an eye out for stuff about getting another FE.

13. JasonM

JasonM Level 0 Character

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you find off-the-grid games? I'm guessing it's basically just folks you've met up with at previous cons and whatnot but I didn't know if there was maybe some other mechanism.

14. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

It the chainmail game is under LoW you should be able to just walk up and join in. LoW miniatires games for the most part welcome walk ups.

Aaron Wilbers likes this.
  15. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

For AS&SoH there is a thread that is maintained by Chainsaw on the AS&SoH website.

Direct link to the GaryCon XI thread is
    http://hyperborea.boardhost.com/viewtopic_mobile.php?id=1020

JasonM likes this.
  16. Aaron Wilbers

Sounds good! thanks for the tip.

17. mordrin

Personal contacts, physical signs/flyers at the con, postings here and/or other websites where GaryCon talk would be normal

Aaron Wilbers and JasonM like this.
  18. jim

jim Level 0 Character

Thank you, @JasonM for starting this thread, and to everyone sharing great advice. This will be my first Gary Con (or any con, for that matter), so reading this has been really helpful.

Hiscompter, Aaron Wilbers and JasonM like this.
  19. JasonM

JasonM Level 0 Character

Thanks for the tips for finding off grid games! I didn't leave much in the way of holes in my schedule though lol.

Aaron Wilbers and Poindexter like this.
  20. gmbarry

gmbarry Footpad

Frankenparty is a GO !!!! 3-Midnight...

Hiscompter, Poindexter and jim like this.