Your opinion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitch the Bard, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Mitch the Bard

Mitch the Bard Level 0 Character

I am registered for the Gary Con Open (first round, obviously). Is it poor etiquette to register for another game scheduled for the same time as the tournament's final round - knowing there is a (mathematical) 3/8 chance that you will have to back out of that event if you advance? Curious what others think here. Thanks

2. Poindexter

Poindexter Chevalier

personally i do not like taking a ticket that could be taken by someone else who is potentially desiring the seat directly and not getting it just-in-case. but i am different that way. oh, and i always think that our team is going to advance to the final round, so i leave that time slot open.

Mitch the Bard likes this.
  3. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

Kudos for stopping to consider others and the ramifications of a choice.

I understand the temptation, since I love to book thoroughly and prepare for all contingencies.
    But I do think it's bad etiquette in most cases.

If the game sells out and you don't go, you've prevented someone else who did want to go from playing. And possibly caused game problems with too-few players.
    If the game doesn't sell out, then there was little or no point to taking the ticket anyway - you could almost certainly just walk up.

Here's an old conversation about no-show problems under an old registration system:
    https://garycon.com/community/index.php?threads/no-show-players-up-this-year.1568/

The TTE system blocks registering for overlap events in most cases, but of course can't do it for situations like yours, where an advancement round isn't actually ticketed.
    (I wonder if that's a doable enhancement - buy tournament ticket X, slots Y and Z also fill on your schedule?)

4. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

It has happened where players can't advance due to a variety of reasons, including double-booking in case advancement doesn't occur. As DM, it's disappointing if you don't show, bit as a player, I can only imagine the frustration. Hoping to win the whole tourney with one player short is weighing the odds against you. It's your weekend - do what makes you happy.

Melf likes this.
  5. Mitch the Bard

Mitch the Bard Level 0 Character

Thanks all for your input - I agree...I will not be scheduling a game opposite the final round. Gary Con can't get here soon enough...

Melf and Poindexter like this.
  6. rickwins

rickwins Level 0 Character

If you do book an event the same time as the finals be sure to give that ticket away and go to the finals. The people on that team will become like family at future GaryCons

7. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

That is very true - I've seen some amazing friendships start at the Open!

Melf and Poindexter like this.