Tabletop message from DM, how to reply?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve Wright, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Level 0 Character

I got a message through the Tabletop system from the DM for my Thursday night game, about what kind of character to bring. Said to send them a PM (private message) to consult on backstory and equipment.

I can't see any way to send that message - anybody know how that works?

2. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

I believe the system only allows the DM to message the currently signed up players.

I don't think there is any way for you to use TTE to contact the DM.

There is a way within TTE to submit a question and they have been responsive to me in the past.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  3. Muddy

Muddy Level 0 Character

I've recently sent a message to players in my sessions. Doing so opens the ability to email between host and players. I don't know what it looks like on the player side though, I thought they got an email they could reply to.

That said, only one person out of about 15 has responded, and one fellow I know personally hasn't gotten the email, either in inbox or spam. So the system appears to be imperfect in some ways, which is a bit of a disappointment for those of us who do a lot of up front work prior to the con. I absolutely do not mind if a player is simply too busy to engage at the level I make possible, but to miss the opportunity because of a technical glitch or something seems bad to me.

4. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Another convention I go to that uses TTE does not rely on the TTE notification setup. Instead the DM can ask the organizers for email addresses and that way when the players get the email they actual have a valid email to respond to.

5. Steve Wright

Based on what Muddy said, I just tried to hit reply on the email, and by golly it works. The from address is info@tabletop, but there is a reply-to address for the actual DM. I didn't try it before because I almost never see a from and a reply-to be different in the wild.

Tabletop, if you see this: put a footer in the email saying I can reply to that message to respond to the DM.

Muddy likes this.
  6. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

If you want to make a suggested change to Tabletop you need to do it via their published mechanism and not via a random post in a forum:

https://tabletop.events/ideas

7. Steve Wright

mordrin likes this.
  8. francisca

francisca Troubadour

9. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I have had at least one of my suggestions implemented.

Get folks to vote it up, too, and possible comment on it.