Gary Con XII - Event Data Analysis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gizmomathboy, Jan 6, 2020.

1. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Well, it's that time of year again when I grab event data and such then spew out random stuff.

At this point it's just tracking events as they get scheduled and such.

As of 2020-01-06_08-38-18
    number of events: 1,785

total_seats: 13,927, available_seats: 6,839

number of badges 1,835

jonsnod likes this.
  2. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

From looking at the events visible, it appears that available seats represent 50% rounded down of the total seats at this point in time. Example; a game with 7 total seats current shows 3 available.

Take it a bit further; the same game will have 4 seats, 5 seats and 7 seats available at the 65%, 80% and 100% points.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  3. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Yep, that's what I figured will happen since that's the new way to deal with event seat scarcity and still allow silver badges to get seats in popular events.

4. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Creates some interesting dynamics if people want to play together.

2 total seats: 1,1,1,2
    3 total seats: 1,1,2,3
    4 total seats: 2,2,3,4
    5 total seats: 2,3,4,5
    6 total seats: 3,3,4.6
    etc.

5. OGRE MAGE

OGRE MAGE Footpad

I didn’t think of it from that perspective.

That system will definitely make it more challenging for families or couples to get into the same games together.

Oh well, let’s see how this goes first before lighting our torches and sharpening our pitchforks. ;)

Melf likes this.
  6. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

I think in general it will work out better.

Sure, now there is a tantalizing chance you might get that seat in an event you want. As opposed to seeing those seats get gobbled up prior to the argent avalanche.

Also, I think most events have at least 6 seats. Also, I think at least 1 seat will open for each badge level. So Silvers will always have a shot at that last seat.

7. SoulCatcher78

SoulCatcher78 Level 0 Character

I'm curious to see how this shakes out for XII. I'm afraid the change will have an impact on people who want to game together (gotta be fast on the buttons once your reg opens) and could potentially devalue the (IMO) big perk of the gold badges.

8. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

TTE allows for you to get a ticket for someone else, multiple folks can try for the ticket..

SoulCatcher78 likes this.
  9. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

There will be plenty of seats available to gold.

Those are seats getting "unlocked/opened" at each badge level.

Half of all seats are available at the Diamond level, then more added at Platinum, then more at Gold, and finally at least one of more seats for Silver.

There is really no way for Diamond and Platinum to take up *all* of the "high demand" seats. There is only 34 Diamond and Platinum badges.

mwisconsin likes this.
  10. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

As of 2020-01-13_09-28-14

number of events: 1,777

GMs: 385, note DDAL09-03 has no GM listed for the 187 times it is run

total_seats: 13,940, available_seats: 6,844

number of badges 1,927

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  11. mordrin

mordrin Spellbinder Staff Member

I'd agree. There's so few Diamond and Platinums that I'm pretty sure their impact will be negligible.

The impacts I think we're going to see are:

• More high-demand (former VIP) events being claimed by golds, now that there's no limit per person, leaving fewer for silver
    • Events will sell/fill more accurately based on true demand. Which is to say, the problem of a game being desired by attendees, but not selling, because it was labeled VIP and people had a limited number of VIP choices (the problem the new system was designed to fix) will be fixed.

12. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Have events submitted after January 2nd been getting approved since the number of events decreased and the total seats went up.

I think the number of times DDAL09-03 is running is far less than 187. Is that 187 events currently don't have GMs listed?

13. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

The data I grab is scheduled and unscheduled events. So the number of events won't change too much, but the seat totals might.

DDAL09-03 shows up in my event data 187 times. I'm assuming it has that many slots? It currently doesn't have a listed GM. The AL stuff is generally weird like that for this sort of thing. Many have like 8+ slots with 1 GM. Feasible but I think that they are just a placeholder until the actual event hosts get sorted out. Maybe.

14. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

30 slots showing as schedule out of 1695 events showing being scheduled right now.

Something might be off in the numbers.

15. Scott308

Scott308 Chevalier

All the AL stuff has to get scheduled, then it is opened up to the pool of DMs to choose which exact games they want to sign up to run. DMs will continue to claim spots right up to the convention.

16. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

17. stahlnee

stahlnee Spellbinder

Will there be a list of which individuals are running how many games? Etc. like last year?

And, possibly which special guest are scheduled to run games? This could be of benefit to attendees.

18. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

As of 2020-01-20_08-14-26
    number of events: 1,844

total_seats: 14,491, available_seats: 7,113

number of badges 1,996

19. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Yeah, I can do that.

I usually do that once everything has been scheduled.

Since when I grab events it grabs scheduled and approved events. I could probably exclude any events that don't have a space name.

I do create a web app that has a bit more filtering capabilities than TTE (I think, I haven't looked at TTE recently to see what has changed).

20. gizmomathboy

gizmomathboy Spellbinder

Here's my web app that you can use to filter differently than TTE

https://www.gizmomathboy.com/

u: gary
    p: gygax

You can save filters but anyone that logs in can edit those and save them as well.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Poindexter likes this.